Dark green AR not testing positive to any pgm

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elfixx

I have disolved quite some white gold in AR, it turned a dark dark green and I then ppt gold using Ishor prepipitant. Now the neutralised AR solution is heavily dilluted and still have that dark green color but test negative to any value with stanous chloride. Despite the strong unusual color(for me it's unusual, it's the first time I worked with white gold) can I trust stanous's result and safely discard my solution?

make up small amount of known gold solution to test your stannic chloride solution, green is from copper or nickle usually, most of those should have been eliminated prior to Aqua regia treatment, for best results, also white gold can contain palladium you may want to test for it also.

My opinion is that you are seeing nothing but nickel. You apparently processed without inquartation. Do follow the wise advice from butcher and test your stannous chloride against a standard solution to insure that you truly have eliminated all values.

An interesting testing procedure for you, to expand your testing skills; a test with DMG will be conclusive about an absence of palladium, which I do not suspect. It would have turned your solution quite dark brown, but on the outside chance you have traces, DMG will yield a yellow precipitate, and it's very sensitive, displaying the yellow reaction when very little is present.

After testing for palladium with DMG, if you'd like to see a reaction for nickel, place a drop of your solution in a spot plate cavity, then add a drop of ammonium hydroxide. A drop of DMG will then yield a beautiful pink reaction. If your solution contained copper instead of nickel, you would not get a pink reaction with DMG, and the addition of ammonium hydroxide would have yielded a brilliant blue reaction.

If you are clueless about DMG, Hoke is your friend.

Harold

Hello,

I demonstrate the Palladium DMG test on my website in the videos section.

Steve

Latest posts

Back