Deplate gold plated sulfuric acid stripping cell VIDEO

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a lot of work for a tiny piece of gold! 8)

Thanks for the second part of the video.

Have you (or someone else for that matter) ever tested a separatory funnel to extract the gold powder?

Göran

These videos are wonderful, thank you for making them.

This looks so simple to do and is also ALOT faster than dissolving everything with HCL+peroxide. (Weeks compared to only a few minutes :shock: )

Then I think about the hot sulfuric acid and electricity (especially the amps) and tell myself, maybe next time.

I'll keep reading and learning more about it, while slowly gathering up plated items and eventually I'll give it a try.

goldandsilver123 said:
Great video!! Thanks!

I have one question, wouldn't titanium be a better cathode than lead?

I've never tried that. I used lead because it was the way I learned it, and it is easy to work with and cheap.

kadriver

g_axelsson said:

Thanks for the second part of the video.

Have you (or someone else for that matter) ever tested a separatory funnel to extract the gold powder?

Göran

A step funnel might work pretty good here. I had a giant 3 liter step funnel, but I sold it because I thought I'd never use it. But I agree, it looks like it would do nicely for getting at the black powder.

kadriver

Sputins said:
Hi Kadriver,

I too enjoyed the video and looking forward to seeing part two.
I’ve seen most of your videos and you’ve done a great job with them, even though you’re mute! Haha. The information conveyed is great. They have helped me particularly with the silver cell. (I’m about to make new electrolyte for a bigger cell now).

Also I would have to say your laboratory skills (and safety) with the reagents and hardware seems very good in the videos I’ve watched.

Although probably a silver nitrate stained finger is likely a ‘rite of passage’ for the silver refiner.

Thanks for sharing your work!

Cool - sounds like you enjoy refining as much as I do. Thanks.

kadriver

g_axelsson said:

Göran

What really disturbed me was when NOTHING came down after I added SMB. I even went and took a shower and came back to see if any gold had precipitated and there was absolutely nothing.

I thought this was going to be a failure.

But then I came in the next morning and the gold had precipitated and settled out.

I've had many people question me about this. If there is less than 1 gram of gold in solution per liter of liquid then the gold precipitates and settles very slowly. If it is allowed to sit overnight then the gold will come down, but it's un-nerving when you add the SMB (after all that work) and NOTHING HAPPENS!

kadriver

There's not much more disappointing in the refining world than to do a ton of work for a small yield. That is why I completely gave up on plated material and electronics for the most part. The only e-scrap that I would mess with is already cut memory fingers. That being said it's still very fun to try these methods for academic purposes and to have another tool under your belt if the need ever did arise.

For instance in the thread below I talked about plated material that yielded .7 grams of twice refined gold from a little over 100 grams of scrap! In my opinion that type of material would be the only way a small refiner would ever make any profit off of plated material. Sadly the person I was in negotiations with never committed and decided to stay with the devil he knew. I guess no yield is one of those things that is more disappointing than small yield?

http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=20616&p=214445#p214445

I bought a small lot of 30 grams of gold plated mil-spec pins. The lot cost thirty bucks! I plan to do a video on recovery and refining of the gold from these pins - if there is even enough to get a yield.

I'm itchin to get a stripping cell going but $ keeps the copper basket from reach right now... Just refinanced the house to get a better interest..Fun fun there.

I did however get to finally pan the handful of memory chips I pyrolized and crushed and stored from 2 years ago.
1" steel balls inside a metal can made it too much fun rolling around to work on a crusher... Worked great.
My loving wife got me a nice panning set...
http://www.amazon.com/VAS-PANNING-C...1443405645&sr=8-135&keywords=gold+panning+kit without the rock hammer and large pick up magnet.

Was easier then I thought and the little pan with small steps worked great. Of course, with only a handful of memory chips for material, I got a nice, shiny but very tiny amount of gold hairs.

But it is worth the experience and joy of having something to show for my pyrolizer set up.

All keyboard Mylars just finished that and now need to be crushed and then smelting is on the menu. But I think I need a slightly bigger melting thingy to get it all done.
Hmm... any good videos on smelting silver from Mylars? I wonder...

B.S.
... It's all fun n games. Till you have to stop and work to pay da billz...

Pantherlikher said:
Was easier then I thought and the little pan with small steps worked great. Of course, with only a handful of memory chips for material, I got a nice, shiny but very tiny amount of gold hairs.

But it is worth the experience and joy of having something to show for my pyrolizer set up.

I'm with you! There was lots of work involved in making this video, but having it produce gold - even just 0.3 grams - was somehow quite rewarding.

By the way, I did get another 1/10 gram after letting the dilute acid settle for about 5 days. So the actual yield was closer to 0.4 grams.

I was in a hurry to get ANY yield so I could get the video produced. But another 1/10 gram is 25% of the total actual yield!

kadriver

Latest posts

Back