DID I LOOSE IT

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JHS

HI FOLKS.
AFTER READING SOME OF THE REPLYS TO NUBES I AM ALMOST AFRAID TO ASK.
BUT HERE GOES
I AM DEALING WITH GOLD FINGERS CPUS AND OTHER COMPUTER SCRAP.
THIS IS WHAT I DID.
REMOVE AS MUCH WASTE AS I COULD
WASHED IT IN WATER
PUT IN AR,PURCHASED THE AR DID NOT MIX IT
FILTERED IT
USED UREA TO NUTERALIZE PH
ADDED SODIUM BISULFATE-RAN OUT SO I GOT SOME STUMP OUT
ADDED SOME STUMP OUT
THIS PRECIPITATED A FINE GRAY WHITE GRANULAR MASS VERY QUICKLY.
I DO NOT SEE ANY GRAY MUD IN THE SOLUTION.
THIS IS MY FIRST ATTEMPT.
I HAVE BEEN READING THE POSTS AND EVERYONE SAID READ THE BOOK.I DID ALONG WITH ABOUT A DOZEN OTHERS.
THERE VAS NO SPECFIC INFO ON THIS PROBLEM.
IS THERE SOMEONE THAT WOULD BE WILLING TO GIVE SOME ADVICE?
THANKS JOHN
EVERYBOBY WAS A FIRST TIMER ONCE

HI JIM,I AM GETTING A LITTLE OLDER AND IT IS EASIER FOR ME TO READ CAPS.NO OFFENCE WAS MENT AND I APOLOGISE IF I OFFENDED YOU
THANKS FOR THE ADVICE.

jimdoc said:
Edit out your "all caps" and you may get an answer.

Jim
Just in case you may not understand what Jim is saying.... using all caps is considered SHOUTING on the Internet. When you use all caps, people are thinking that you're asking or saying something rudely. Never use all caps on forums if you expect to get a reply that can help you.

Kevin

Did you mix all the material together? or did you seperate it?. Fingers are better processed in AP, CPUs are processed in AR, All caps mean you are yelling.

Ken

edited what other scrap?

Ken i removed the fiberglass from the fingers and as much other metals as i could
john

Here is some advice. Re-read Refining Precious Metal Wastes, by CM. Hoke, do the familiarization exercises, and search the forum. All of the information is in those two sources, but you will have to put forth more effort to find it. It isn't hidden, so you should have no problem. What you are doing is basic, and has been asked a million times on this forum. If you need assistance with learning forum netiquette, I would Google it.

JHS said:
Ken i removed the fiberglass from the fingers and as much other metals as i could
john

John do search on the forum for AP+fingers this will give you the infor you seek.
good luck, if you have any prolbems we are her to help.
Ken

JHS said:
ok so did i drop everything

Stop what you are doing and follow srlaulis advice. I would say you dropped everything but i'm not sure. I do know you need to do more research before trying this again.
Ken

JHS,
I see several things wrong with your approach so far; I will not list them all at this point.

Right now you have a mess of toxic solution, what I suggest is add a large piece of copper to cement values from this solution, decant the solution from any powders, dry and store the powders (they can contain values, then take solution and add some scrap steel, to cement out the toxic metals, decant solution and neutralize the acid, dry the metal powders.

You can read the details of this in the safety section read the topic dealing with waste.

It will take some time studying before you will be able to process, there actually is a lot more to it than just dissolving metals and throwing in a chemical and Walla you melt pure gold.

There are many processes depending on the materials you are working on, and each of these process have steps that are very important to successfully recovery of the values then more processes for refining the values.

Hokes book will cover the basic principles and the experiments will teach you the reactions, the forum is where you will learn the processes used for many of the materials, and which methods work best for which materials, here you will also learn many work arounds to do this.

A good place to start through the forum is by going to the general chat section and reading the guide to the forum, the general reaction list, and welcome to new members, following the links you will be given a guided tour of many of the processes.

You do not loose it if you do not throw it away, but without studying you will be throwing it away without even knowing it.
And worse without studing you will be putting yourself and others in danger.

John I'll add one more thing, if you didn't dissolve all the metals with your AR make sure you rinse the residue off and put the rinse water into the rest of your solution for cementation with copper as advised by Butcher and keep the residues somewhere sealed and safe as the values could still be there.

Hi butcher,
thanks for your advice.i am not a chemist but
please understand that i am one of the most qualified people on this forum to handle hazmat.i hndle all types of hazmat on a daily basis.safety was the first thing i addressed.
i have a clean room in my shop.i am the only one that has keys.
built a hood,incorperated a vaccume pump connected to a blower connected to a water tank.then there are micro filters and finally to a furnace to burn off any residue.
i did not build this just for this project,more for my main line work.
i am not a tree hugger but
i care about what i leave my grand children.
thanks again john

Well said JHS. Your expertise may be of great value here on the forum
as we all deal in one way or the other with "hazmat" materials.

If you would consider sharing some details on your setup, it may be
of benefit to many members. I.e., how did you construct your fume hood,
vacuum pump, etc. and why. Your daily working with materials probably
gives you insights that many here may not have or could really use.

Thanks!

I haven't seen anyone ask or you to describe what you started with. How much scrap did you process and what type? Maybe you don't have that much gold invested in your mess.

Göran

Hi Glorycloud,
thank you for the complement.
it seems that the assumption is that every newcomer to the forum is in there garage with a couple of bottles of stuff,trying to get a few dollare together to make a payment with no consideration for the health of there own or others.
that is not always the case.
i do not have pounds of stuff to process
,i havg tonage.i own a company that cleans up forclosed and abandond properties.my crews have been bring all the escrap to me for years.the barn is almost full.i fully expect i will be required to become commercial.
i have decided to hire a metalurgist for a few weeks to get this enterprise under way.
it seems the most logical step.she will be here in a few days'.fyi i live way out in the country on a large track of land.[no neighbors]
as far as my clean room setup goes for security reasons the why can not be answered.
as for the rest
several years ago i came upon 3 glass domes,if you know what a 25 year wedding clock is,that is the general shape.
these domes are much larger about 3 feet tall and 1/2 inch thick about 25 gallons each.knowing i could not throw them away,i kept them
they are now the vessles for the recovery program.i banded them about a third of the way down set them up so they would pivit in order to dump waste material.i also drilled them at the bottom,installed valves to drain them.
so no one would be in danger of an accidental spill.2 valves on each incase one got clogged there would be a backup.
as far as a hood for recovery,i lined my stainless with pvc.the chemist may have a better idea.
i don't have much experance with recovery chemicals.
for the average guy my system would be far to expensive.
if i were starting up
i would build a hood from a old stove hood.i would coat it with a paintable polimer.hang a tarp around it to assist in capturing the fumes plumb it to a blower strong enough to push the fumes through a sealed water tank-35 gallon from tsc-cheep enough push the fumes into the bottom and plumb the top to vent outside on a tall stack.
the whole thing should not cost too much.you can get a vent from a builder recycling store.
be sure the motor is an explosion proof type.
add what ever chemicals to the tank that would assist in nuteralising the fumes and then vent it on a tall stack.
you would need to know any reaction that might occure and take steps to insure everyone's safety.
hope this helps someone
john
LOOK MA NO CAPS LOL

John,
We do warn every member of the dangers, true we do not know you or your background, but even if someone new came here saying he was a college graduate, worked in chemistry his whole life, I would tell him the same as I did you, that he would need to study, and study the safety, also study dealing with wastes, this chemistry can be dangerous in many ways if you do not educate yourself in it, (the chemist would most likely not say anything, and begin his study’s, as he would understand enough to know it was very good advice.
It is not only the deadly fumes, and toxic wastes, some of these can poison your well water or even a river where people of the city downstream drink from it, we can make solutions that can make explosions by mistake, even something as simple as spilling nitric acid could be very dangerous by nitrating organic materials making the possibility of a fire more likely, or storage of your chemicals can also be dangerous, even some of the seemingly simple processes can have very dangerous steps, where one wrong move or step could cripple a man for life, this can be done in relative safe manner but to do so you must educate yourself in the dangers and precautions.

We have a member who is very well educated in the chemistry and the danger, who has been recovering and refining for many years, who came close to taking his last breath by breathing in a few fumes from a reaction he was working on to get a little gold.

This is serious and the advice to study is serious especially if it can prevent one accident, or one hazardous condition.

Also it is not only the dangers, how are you going to treat your waste, Ok you go to town to buy some chemical, now the department of environmental quality or some other officer decides to come out and check up on what your doing, did you study, do you have your ducks in order, can you explain and show him what you are doing with your toxic waste, can you explain the chemistry of what your doing so he does not think your making something illegal, can you show him the chemicals and dangerous substances are handled properly, do you have the MSDS for the chemicals….

So do not be offended, by the advice given, but please take the advise as it is intended, to help you with your learning, and to help you to keep yourself and others safe.

Hello Butcher.
I could not agree more.All good points.
That is why I said add the appropriate chemicals to capture the toxics.Almost every chemical has to be handled differently.
learn the procedures.a good guess could kill.
As for disposal,that is a whole other subject.
Everyone should have all there ducks in a row.
Consider a gas disposal well.check it out.also check the transportation regulations.Even a disposal will require that you know what you are bringing to them.
Thanks again Butcher
john

Note if you do this on a small scale you are considered a hobbyist, on a large scale you could b considered a commercial operation where the rules and laws are much different regarding waste generation, how much you can store or have on hand at one time, also how you are required by law to deal with it, this as well as many other laws regarding your operation, checking into these laws will also be a good idea, let me tell you from experience, when these guys in black SUV’s drive out to your property wake you up in morning, wanting to search through your operation, DEQ, federal agents, with and armed federal marshals, and they want to see your lab and your waste disposal methods you will be glad you did learn how to deal with your waste properly.

This study will also help you to know you are doing everything you can to deal with this material in the best way you can so you know you are not hurting others or yourself.

Here is a good read that will help you learn to deal with all of those barrels of toxic waste you are thinking of generating.

http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=1300

Latest posts

Back