dimethil glioxime

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arthur kierski

i make a test solution of dmg dissolving 10grams of it in a liter of alcohol--------
could i use water instead of the alcohol? would the proportion dmg to water be the same?that is 10grams of dmg to 1liter water
thanks

Arthur

No Arthur. Solubility of DMG in water is 0,2g / 1l. You can dissolve DMG in very hot water but as it will cool DMG will crystalize out from solution.
I use isoprophy, its expensive but good for testing purposes.

I had once read that DMG dissolved in water is more sensitive than that dissolved in alcohol. Recently, I made it up at 1% both ways and, sure enough, that dissolved in water worked the best, especially on low Pd levels. The difference was obvious. Please note that Ms. Hoke uses water (p. 97). She dissolves it in hot water, lets it sit overnight, and then filters out any cloudiness or crystals. In the future, I will always use water.

i use a solution of 0,5 M DMG in 1 M NaOH to precipitate remaining Pd from mixed nitrate acidic solution. it works great, but you work with a large volume of solution and need a vacuum filtration apparatus.

goldsilverpro said:
I had once read that DMG dissolved in water is more sensitive than that dissolved in alcohol. Recently, I made it up at 1% both ways and, sure enough, that dissolved in water worked the best, especially on low Pd levels. The difference was obvious. Please note that Ms. Hoke uses water (p. 97). She dissolves it in hot water, lets it sit overnight, and then filters out any cloudiness or crystals. In the future, I will always use water.
I always made mine from water. It was difficult to dissolve, but by boiling with a watch glass cover, it slowly goes in to solution.

I wasn't aware of a difference in sensitivity, alcohol versus water---but mine was VERY sensitive. A trace of palladium responded with a copious distinctive yellow precipitate.

I used DMG regularly if I wanted to determine the presence of nickel. Frankly, I don't know how anyone that refines can be without the stuff.

I don't recommend it be used for palladium recovery----for obvious reasons. The resulting volume is staggering (that's why it works so well when there's just a trace of palladium present), and the yellow material is difficult to handle.

Harold

I have tested solubility of DMG in water and yes it can be used in testing. However it was my feeling that if I have more DMG in testing solution which I achieved dissolving more DMG in alcohol than in water - that my testing solution will be more effective.

I have used DMG which I dissolved in water. It does produce a copius quantity of powder. Here in Australia it is very expensive. Also don't forget to roast your powder to convert it to black. This way you know what you are selling to a refiner etc.

donnybrook

Latest posts

Back