Displace the gold and drop it with iron in the aqua regia

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We need to get this clear.
We are working with chemistry here and one letter wrong might be the difference of success or failure or even life or death.
One need to be absolutely clear with regards to chemicals.

AR is Aqua Regia
HCl is HydroChloric acid
Neutralize is to bring something to a pH of 7 which is neutral.
To bring a Aqua Regia to a condition where the Nitric do not oxidize any more, we call deNOxing,
it can be done with Urea but it is not complete and can create unfavorable substances.
And it do not attack the NOx gases.
Sulfamic acid converts the nitrates and NOx gases to Sulfuric acid, which in turn will drop any lead in solution as Lead sulfate.

First a few questions.
Have you had your ore tested to see what is in it?
Dumping ore into acids may end up being the last thing you do.
It can contain, Arsenic, Cadmium, Mercury or other toxic substances, so you NEED to know what is in your ore.

Next.
How do you prepare your AR? Just premix HCl and Nitric???
AquaRegia is considered a bad Idea for ores, it is expensive and any precious metals can cement out during the leaching.
Cyanide, Cyanate, Ferri/Ferro cyanides and Hypochlorate leaches are much more usable for ores, and much cheaper.

Adding caustic substances is not recommended, the solution should be around 2 ish pH to get a favorable result on drops.

Hydrazine is not something one do anywhere near anyone unless you dream of getting all kinds of Cancers.
It is both carcinogenic and a potential creator of explosives, actually worse than Urea.
And expensive I believe, so drop that.

I suggest you find the book I recommended and start reading, and these things will be revealed,
it is old though so the use of Sulfamic has not yet been discovered.
What is the right time to use sulphamic acid
(I've sulphamic powder )

What is the right time to use sulphamic acid
(I've sulphamic powder )
Right time is, after all is dissolved and you have used more Nitric than neccessary in your AR.
Then while it is still hot 70-90 centigrade.
Add your Sulfamic in small quantities and stir and wait, make sure your container is not more than 1/4 to 1/2 full to give it room to foam.
When there is no more foaming/hissing and no more brown fumes it is done.

I do not know the uses of sulfamic acid, how to use it, and whether its role is to prevent oxidation caused by nitric acid, what is its function exactly?
I will be the one to say it: STOP what you are doing, study the processes and safety involved and present your plan for us to review before you kill yourself.
It may be a langyage thing why yggdrasil has such patience, but you are mixing things up and doing wrong things.
Any further instruction on chemical steps to take wiith your current problem is too dangerous imo.

So your main source of learning have been Youtube?
Stop what you have been doing NOW.
Then start learning before yourself or someone close to you get injured or worse.
Put your solutions away in safe place out of reach of children and animals.
I was not the first to give this advice.

Good advice. 👍

Right time is, after all is dissolved and you have used more Nitric than neccessary in your AR.
Then while it is still hot 70-90 centigrade.
Add your Sulfamic in small quantities and stir and wait, make sure your container is not more than 1/4 to 1/2 full to give it room to foam.
When there is no more foaming/hissing and no more brown fumes it is done.
I've Sulphamic acid in powder form how do i use it??

& Using sulphamic in hot aqua regia means after completion of hot sand bath use directly sulphamic in solution ?? No need to wait for cooldown??

Last edited:
I've Sulphamic acid in powder form how do i use it??

& Using sulphamic in hot aqua regia means after completion of hot sand bath use directly sulphamic in solution ?? No need to wait for cooldown??
Read my text again, it is all there.
I do not feel very confident with your abilities, you are asking for too much spoon feeding.
Lay out your plan in detail and we can comment and adjust what is needed.

Read my text again, it is all there.
I do not feel very confident with your abilities, you are asking for too much spoon feeding.
Lay out your plan in detail and we can comment and adjust what is needed.
Sorry sir I'm beginner here now reading hokes as well. Will learn soon .

do i need to dissolve sulphamic powder in water first? Or directly use as it is?
Do NOT use bold or all caps, it is considered shouting and also considered rude.
This has been answered to you at least once today. No you do not need to dissolve it.

Latest posts

Back