DMG

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldsilverpro

In Remembrance
Moderator Emeritus
Good price - even with the shipping!! Lifetime supply for total of $6.45

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dimethylglyoxime-10-grams-%28Chugaev%27s-Reagent%29_W0QQitemZ270544109709QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20100312?IMSfp=TL100312164014r38695

goldsilverpro said:
Good price - even with the shipping!! Lifetime supply for total of $6.45

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dimethylglyoxime-10-grams-%28Chugaev%27s-Reagent%29_W0QQitemZ270544109709QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20100312?IMSfp=TL100312164014r38695

He's got 111 sales with 100% feedback. He sells other good things but was leery since he's in Syktyvkar, Komi republic, Russian Federation.

I ordered some, so we will see.

Talk about boondocks. He must have low overhead:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Komi_Republic

That's the guy I was talking about in this thread http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=6769
I made an offer, he countered, so I'm getting 30g for $3.60+$5.00 shipping. Enough for three lifetimes for $8.60! :lol: ...Or to share with friends 8)

I have purchased from him about last November. If yours works let me know because I have mixed 2 batches so far and niether one seems to work on Pd. So I am still using stanous.

DMG is difficult to dissolve, so that may be the reason you haven't enjoyed success. I used to boil mine for a prolonged period of time in order to get it in solution.

Some time ago it was mentioned that it readily dissolves in alcohol, however. I don't have any specifics on the process, so if you still have some, give that a go.

Working without DMG isn't very convenient. There are times when it's important to precipitate the palladium, so other values can be determined. The same thing applies to gold, which can be precipitated with a crystal of ferrous sulfate, then the solution tested with stannous chloride. With the gold down, other values are much easier to see.

Harold

2002valkyrie said:
I have purchased from him about last November. If yours works let me know because I have mixed 2 batches so far and niether one seems to work on Pd. So I am still using stanous.

I have some very pure Nickel powder. When I get it, I will test the DMG on that. If it works on Nickel, it will surely work on Pd.

Maybe I did it wrong :?: Twice but I boiled it till it dissolved both times and the second time I used a procedure listed by Steve using Denatured Alcohol. It won't stay dissolved long, heck I thought about precipitating gold with it. If you get yours to work Irons please let me know. I was impressed by the DMG it comes packaged real nice in approximatly 10g sealed plastic sectioned packaging. See picture. :arrow:

Attachments

• 100_9324.JPG
    100_9324.JPG
    428.3 KB · Views: 732
Well if we can't get it to work it won't be from lack of trying. Irons, Platdigger and myself bought from this guy. I see some one has made an offer 50 g too. At that rate for the quantity available listed he'll be out soon. I'll bet he has a supplier though.

BTW- Valkyrie, did you try methanol? I see you bought 60 g, maybe you would like to sell some? How long does it take to arrive from Russia?

hehe that 50g that was me. I could not resist to have some as I want to do few tests with monolithics. I did offer for 50g for 5$. He replied and I got 50g for 5$+8.60$ postage to ireland. I have paid for that today and will let you guys know when I will get it.

Scott2357 said:
BTW- Valkyrie, did you try methanol? I see you bought 60 g, maybe you would like to sell some? How long does it take to arrive from Russia?
Nope no methanol in my lab... Just the first four letters makes it sound hard to get. I had them copy my drivers license when I bought 8 gallons of sulfuric acid last month. I'm going to have to start buying from the chemical supply house in the big city.
It took 2 weeks to come in after he said he shipped, which was amazing. You know it being white powder and all. As far as selling it, I can't sell what won't work for me. If I find a use for it and believe in it, then I will sell it but I tried it on good Pd and it was a dud. I prepared it according to Hoke so I'm not a believer in this batch.

2002valkyrie said:
Scott2357 said:
Nope no methanol in my lab... Just the first four letters makes it sound hard to get. I had them copy my drivers license when I bought 8 gallons of sulfuric acid last month. I'm going to have to start buying from the chemical supply house in the big city.
It took 2 weeks to come in after he said he shipped, which was amazing. You know it being white powder and all. As far as selling it, I can't sell what won't work for me. If I find a use for it and believe in it, then I will sell it but I tried it on good Pd and it was a dud. I prepared it according to Hoke so I'm not a believer in this batch.

Gas line antifreeze is either anhydrous Methanol or isopropanol.

Valkyrie,

As far as sulphuric, try battery acid from o'reilly's auto parts. It's cheap 38% but all you have to do is boil to concentrate. I can send you a link to my cheap methanol source in Ala., pm me if you need it. They also have nitric, sulphuric, etc. but shipping on those are high.

Scott2357 said:
Well if we can't get it to work it won't be from lack of trying. Irons, Platdigger and myself bought from this guy. I see some one has made an offer 50 g too. At that rate for the quantity available listed he'll be out soon. I'll bet he has a supplier though.

We can do the best we can to validate the DMG. If it's a preparation issue, I think a solution can be worked out. :mrgreen:

If you know any Go Kart racers near you many burn methanol. We paid $2.50 per gallon at our local track. Most dirt tracks for auto racing will have it as well, or you can check with the local racing parts supplier. You bring a jug and they'll fill it for a couple of bucks. You want the clear - no dye.

2002valkyrie said:

Mine arrived Friday, about 2 weeks. It's good DMG.

I made a 1% solution in anhydrous Methanol (HEET gas line antifreeze in the Yellow bottle). The DMG dissolved in a few seconds except for a few larger crystals which took a few minutes. The solution was water clear.

I made a 1% NiCl2 solution by dissolving pure nickel powder in dilute HCl.

I took a few drops of the Nickel solution, put it in a test tube and diluted it with distilled water until there was just a faint color.

I added 3 drops of the DMG solution. There was no change.

I added Household clear Ammonia solution drop by drop. The first drop turned rose red and subsequent drops formed the classic rose colored flocculent reaction, a positive test for Nickel.

DMG functions the same for testing in straight alcohol?

If that's the case why struggle with water?

Is there a time when one might prefer one over the other?

PGM ammonium chloride colored powders are not soluble in straight alcohol so they may not test properly if some water is not present.

I see no other reason why water is needed. As long as your PGMs are dissolved in an aqueous solution already or you dissolve the test sample of colored powder in water before testing, I guess DMG in straight alcohol may be a better idea.

Steve

Latest posts

Back