Does copper only knock out gold or does it also knock out silver?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All carbon must be removed prior to leaching because carbon soaks up Gold.
That is why Active Carbon is used to scavenge Gold from leaching of ores.
Sorry if answered in another thread. I made this mistake a while ago, i burned a bunch of chips and added the ash/gold into AR and made a nice complicated mess. I filtered all material out of AR, washed and separated all carbon/gold from AR. How do i recover the gold from the carbon material? Do i start the burning process over or is it a different process now

Sorry if answered in another thread. I made this mistake a while ago, i burned a bunch of chips and added the ash/gold into AR and made a nice complicated mess. I filtered all material out of AR, washed and separated all carbon/gold from AR. How do i recover the gold from the carbon material? Do i start the burning process over or is it a different process now
How much carbon residue is it?

I looked at the hoods and I would like to ask how much AR can usually be put in?
That depends on the hood. For a simple AR digestion one can manage with funnels and a vacuum system dragging the fumes through NaOH solutions and water in stages.
I believe this is showed as well.

Last edited:
The problem is that I don't know how to extract the gas and how to introduce it into the sodium hydroxide solution. However, I have an idea: I put a vacuum pump on top of the cabinet, it sucks out the gas and I can introduce it into the sodium hydroxide solution. That's a good idea? I've read a lot, but I don't understand how it works.

The problem is that I don't know how to extract the gas and how to introduce it into the sodium hydroxide solution. However, I have an idea: I put a vacuum pump on top of the cabinet, it sucks out the gas and I can introduce it into the sodium hydroxide solution. That's a good idea? I've read a lot, but I don't understand how it works.
Did you read the thread about building your own fume hood?
It is shown there.
You have a vacuum system based on an eductor, it sucks the fumes from an upside down funnel big enough to fit on the beaker used for the AR.
Then there is a hose connected to the funnel which leads the fumes into a bottle filled with NaOH solution, from this bottle there is another hose to one more bottle with NaOH for safety and after that plain water bottle before entering the eductor.
There is a picture in the thread showing it quite well.

Did you read the thread about building your own fume hood?
It is shown there.
You have a vacuum system based on an eductor, it sucks the fumes from an upside down funnel big enough to fit on the beaker used for the AR.
Then there is a hose connected to the funnel which leads the fumes into a bottle filled with NaOH solution, from this bottle there is another hose to one more bottle with NaOH for safety and after that plain water bottle before entering the eductor.
There is a picture in the thread showing it quite well.
Thank you very much! It's starting to become clearer. I don't know if I've read a lot, but I'll look into it.

Here is a sketch
NOx fumes.PNG

It is very good. Thank you for understanding!
Remember, this is only a sketch, not a blueprint.
You may need more bottles or even bigger/deeper bottles, it all depends on the volume of fumes cleaned.
If you are running an eductor with a closed reservoir and a pump, you will get even more cleaning.
And if you have a bottle of dilute Peroxide first you will reclaim some of your Nitric.
The combinations are many.

Remember, this is only a sketch, not a blueprint.
You may need more bottles or even bigger/deeper bottles, it all depends on the volume of fumes cleaned.
If you are running an eductor with a closed reservoir and a pump, you will get even more cleaning.
And if you have a bottle of dilute Peroxide first you will reclaim some of your Nitric.
The combinations are many.
Thanks for the information very useful!

I would put the empty catch bottle after the reaction vessel and then the scrubbers with H2O2, lye and water. To protect against backflow if the vaccum fails or the reaction vessel cools.

Not producing a big cloud of gases is the first thing you should consider. Go slow if you can, add acids in small amounts.
Expelling fumes equals wasting resources.

I would put the empty catch bottle after the reaction vessel and then the scrubbers with H2O2, lye and water. To protect against backflow if the vaccum fails or the reaction vessel cools.

Not producing a big cloud of gases is the first thing you should consider. Go slow if you can, add acids in small amounts.
I'm not really sure the empty one is even needed here, since it is an open system, with the funnels just resting over the beakers.

Thank you for your comment!

Back