Does Nitric Acid dissolved Gold powder?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
publius,

Water is not always a solvent for all materials, the term soluble, or insolubility does have varying degrees, it is like saying all heat is hot. And by the way the tone of you last post does not go into solution well with this forum, it almost sounds insoluble, something about it just does not sound right, or mix well, maybe just backing off and trying to sing a new tune, would sound much better to us all.

When I had children they would test things to see how much they could get by with, sometimes they may try and touch the stove to see if it would burn them.

If we keep touching this hot stove somebody will get burnt.

Humor, like sarcasm, sometimes does not translate well in the forum.

If you find any one of my posts that think is odd, understand that I am trying to be humorous, not boorish. I do thank you for your kind admonishment. I will avoid getting burned. At 57 years old, I find that I have tested sufficient number of boundaries to know that there are none that need additional testing. And If I have not said it yet, "Congratulations on being given the privilege to moderate this great forum!"

Franciz said:
Am i the one who cause all the arguing? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Nope! Your doing great. It happens from time to time when you have a group diverse as the forum.

I think all of us miners and refiners, just miss the sunlight, and have not had enough fresh air cooped up all winter.

Franciz, it is us who should apologize to you for disrupting your thread, and learning, I am sorry, and my hopes are we can get back onto discussion, so we all can learn more.

Hello everyone on this great forum. This is my first post and also English is not my language. So please do not kick me a lot. With regard to the issue under discussion - but nitric acid is able to dissolve the gold. If you are using a reagent - it is a different degree of purity.
But even the purest nitric acid chloride contains impurities, so it happens, as in aqua regia. Number of course small, but still, this effect is present.
Thank you for your attention.
Alex.
:roll:

stardust18,
I agree with you, this is where our stockpots come in very handy.

Much of what we may describe is chemistry is relative, it is not always black and white, there are many gray area's.

welcome to the forum good first post, especially considering English is not your language.

stardust18 said:
Hello everyone on this great forum. This is my first post and also English is not my language. So please do not kick me a lot. With regard to the issue under discussion - but nitric acid is able to dissolve the gold. If you are using a reagent - it is a different degree of purity.
But even the purest nitric acid chloride contains impurities, so it happens, as in aqua regia. Number of course small, but still, this effect is present.
Thank you for your attention.
Alex.
:roll:

Very good post.
Welcome to the forum!

I have heard from some of the old-timer gold refiner locally that is still using traditional ways to refine gold says when they recover the gold by smelting the material they wish to refine in a crucible with borax<Only Borax> and use lead bar and a small portion of Copper wire as a collector they say there are some gold dissolved in the nitric acid and they are losing some gold.

:roll: I forgot to mention about the process about how they do above, Ok, First after smelting the material in a very big furnaces with borax, Lead Bar and some copper wire<if the material does not contain copper> for about 2 1/2Hr they set aside and give it some time to cool and use a solid sharp iron rod with a hammer and slowly chip out the borax until it reach the bottom of the crucible and it will left with a piece of at least few Kgs of Lead metal.

They then remove the big piece of lead from the bottom of the crucible, Melt it again in a big homemade melting dish until the whole piece reach its boiling point then slowly remove the impurity by using a thin steel rod to tuck it out bit by bit until it became a nice boiling metal with no trace of any impurity or any trace of borax.

Lastly use a big stainless steel spoon to tuck it and pour in pail of water to make Shot.
After rinsed 1-2 times, Finally soft boil it with nitric acid in a Big Stainless steel mixing bowl.
Without using AR method, The result is 99.95up.

But however using this method I have never see them recover any PGMs before even the material has high PGMs in Content.

:lol: :lol: :lol: I am just trying to share with you guys that in my country most of them process this way and this is the way they do it.

Francis

I guess it's time to clarify some things: gold cyanide is not soluble as AuCN in water, but does dissolve in acids. It's the excess potassium cyanide that turns the gold +1 cyanide to the gold +3 cyanide which is soluble in water. The plus one valence of gold cyanide is sometimes formed by an insufficient reduction with the cementation agent. Any one willing to go down into the basements of my old Alma maters (yes that was plural) then find a reader for old microfilm could do me the favor of transfering my transcript data to a computer. :| Dr. Poe

I am willing to pursue your (LOL) alma maters. Basements? Sure. Microfilm reader? I can find one.
Please submit more information in this regard.
Name of institution (LOL).
State.
Year of graduation.
Subject of doctoral (LOL) work.
I await your response and look forward to diving into fiction.

Are we like children here and need to be corrected more than one time or can we act like adults and not play these childish games.
As long as Doc Poe is willing to contribute he has as much right to be here as anyone. That includes the right not to be mocked or made fun of in a way as to belittle him or his education. If you can prove him wrong then do so, if not then he has no more to prove than anyone else here. This needs to stop now!

Palladium said:
Are we like children here and need to be corrected more than one time or can we act like adults and not play these childish games.
As long as Doc Poe is willing to contribute he has as much right to be here as anyone. That includes the right not to be mocked or made fun of in a way as to belittle him or his education. If you can prove him wrong then do so, if not then he has no more to prove than anyone else here. This needs to stop now!
+100

Relax.
Poe posted data that I am trying to substantiate. That is all.He has shown willingness to resolve the matter in his last message and I am trying to assist him as requested.

Abstract:
When someone present themselves as an authority on a particular subject with claims of higher academic acheivements, those less knowledgeable are likely to accept any information that is presented without verification. They usually accept such information based on the assumption that some higher approved authority has verified the academic standing that are being presented, hence its validity.It is called trust and its a wonderful thing. Ashamed are those who take advantage of it.
If Poe came on this forum and shared and exchanged information like everyone else, then thats ok. However, when he took a handle as a"DrPoe" and further elaborated that he has a PhD in geochemical research, then he needs to be held at a higher standard. Unsuspecting contributors might engage him off this forum based on the assumption that this wonderful forum has accepted without question the validity of his unsubstantiated academic standing. I say NO, this forum is far too valuable to many to allow such claims to go unchecked, especially since some of poe's claims challenges known science.

Thank you guys. The formation of gold nitric as well as the dangers of acids and cyanides are well documented facts.
I'm sure that Harold is keeping a watchful eye upon those whom would promote discourse here on the forum. Dr. Poe

I can answer that pretty quick for you. Are you that authority to question his credentials? Does their seem to be a consensus among the members that we need to? Is their a committee about this somewhere? Or is it just you it seems?

And adding to that why would you send me this pm? What does a man named Sue have to do with this topic? Be careful??? Be careful of what? You? Then you went on to quote what i wrote in the thread. Yes i was talking to you and you knew it or else we wouldn't even be having this discussion. Write them emails in your sly way and then say oh!! I meant it some other way. Do you think this is all he he and ha ha? Do you not understand we have rules here that you must and will abide by. Are you trying to get banned? Don’t kick at the cat!

AlZabrisky
Private message
Sent: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:28 pm

To: Palladium

Re: Does Nitric Acid dissolved Gold powder?

AlZabrisky said:
Did you fall under the spell of a man named Sue??.
Please be careful.

Palladium said:

AlZabrisky said:
I am willing to pursue your (LOL) alma maters. Basements? Sure. Microfilm reader? I can find one.
Please submit more information in this regard.
Name of institution (LOL).
State.
Year of graduation.
Subject of doctoral (LOL) work.
I await your response and look forward to diving into fiction.
AlZabrisky,
I agree that if a member posts something on the forum they should be prepared for others to ask them to substantiate said facts or ask if it is just opinion. I care not if that is a chemical procedure, or a piece of paper from an academic institution proving a certain level of mastery. Please read once again what you wrote, would you not be offended if someone wrote to you in that manner? There is nothing wrong with your questions, but there is in the mocking nature of what you said. I find it very distasteful! It would be fine if you did not feel the need to have “lots of laughs" at everything you questioned, and your last sentence does nothing less than call Dr Poe a liar. That behavior will not be tolerated on the forum.

It speaks very well for Dr Poe that he chose to reply in such a mannered and measured way after such disparaging and rude commentary. Remember that it was Dr Poe that was offering details about himself that elicited your response. Unfortunately the questions you wished answered, because of how you asked, leaves Dr Poe little good reason to follow-up.

Much of what Dr Poe has written here has been discussed very thoroughly, and often left as respectful people agreeing to disagree. To be clear, question anything you see here, but be polite.

As a side note, I left school before even completing the 9th grade, to what standard should I be held to then?

OZ, I agree with you and I humbly withdraw the attempt at humor. LOL = Laugh out loud and not Lots of laugh ( more of a dry chuckle). It was meant as good humor and not to mock.
I respect your moderation and the knowledge you bring to the forum. You have freely shared valuable information with everyone, but you have not made claims as to your academic prowess.
However, I am still looking forward for a response from poe with regards to his alma maters.

Latest posts

Back