Effects of nitric acid on ores

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjavanb123

Hi,

Just curios what happens when you drop nitric acid on an ore that has 63% Sio2 in it?? would it dissolve silica in it?

Also,
in chalchopyrite ore, is gold in chalchopyrite or silica?

Thanks

here chalcopyrite has mostly copper, iron some gold,also can have Se, Ag, Pt, Pb, and other trace elements can be a sulfur compound and arsinic compound so be careful when roasting, I mine an old abandoned mine two years ago of chalcopyrite, using my cement mixer as makeshift ball mill, you can be supprised at the amount of copper in that rock, gold was there but cost me more to get it than its value, it was a great expierience though.

Ya roasting is dangerous if you don't take care of the fumes properly.

Especially Arsenopyrites and mercury ores.

Just learned that only acid that can dissolve and evaporate silica is hydrofluric acid that is why it's kept in plastic containers.

My ore contains 63% silica and the rest are Fe , Mg, Cu..etc..20ppm Au, 50ppm Ag and some Mo. I am trying to remove the 63% silica first then follow Hokes book to extract Au and Ag. that book is awesome.

God bless her soul.

[/u]

With only 20 grams per ton of gold, you really will have to find a leach that can work with that ore.
Whether it be cyanide, Thio, bromine, based or what......
To try to remove over 99 percent of the makeup of the ore chemically....
is just not going to pay.
Randy

Latest posts

Back