Excited and scared to do my first refining

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlgdave

I am not yet sure which method im going to use, I have downloaded, printed and reading the 2 handbooks on refining. I AM SO SO SO glad I found this forum before I bought the Shor Simplicity...........(i was literally minutes away from doing that)

I have read the inquartation info and am now reading the refining books from this site to decide my best direction. I am buying scrap gold jewelry and dental gold. Right now I have 8 ounces of 14k, 2 ounces 18k and 2 ounces 10k (all acid tested).

I expect it to take me 2 full days to read the books, I have in my possesion already 1 gallon - 70% nitric, 1 gallon 34% muriatic, sodium hydroxide, potassium hydroxide, 4 gallons 35% Hydrogen peroxide (I use this regularly to prepare natural gold specimens), mapp gas torch, safety equip (goggles, apron, gloves, respirator), crucible, and molds.

Can anyone please reply to this thread as to what else I need to order immediately while im reading to have it on the way before I start? Stannous chloride test kit? and Lazer steve do you carry everything I would need?

mlgdave

Personally, I would order about 14 ounces of silver, more nitric, and a metal bucket full of cold water.

kdaddy said:
Personally, I would order about 14 ounces of silver, more nitric, and a metal bucket full of cold water.

It probably makes more sense to just order the bucket and fill it with water to save on shipping... :lol:

I have 10 ounces of bullion coins, I have 8 ounces of sterling. Ok will order more nitric and the air temp outside is 44 deg so the cold water aint a problem! Thanks! Im reading the books and going to start small of course. I will refine maybe 1 ounce of 14k to start playing.

mlgdave

lasereyes said:
kdaddy said:

It probably makes more sense to just order the bucket and fill it with water to save on shipping... :lol:

Even better :D

Dave,

Check my web store, http://goldrecovery.us/pricing.asp for what's you are looking for. If you don't see something you are after let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Steve

kdaddy said:
Did I miss something here?What is the metal bucket for?I trust you don't intend on dissolving anything in it.

mlgdave said:
that would be for pouring hot inquarted material into to make cornflake shot!
You are right.I rarely inquart so I wasn't thinking about that.

You might want to consider some fire brick (light kind better) or some Kaowool to better contain the heat.

Yea I saw that, I bought a Burno crucible as well. Im sure I bought stuff I wont ever use but thats the great thing about yardsales, buy hi, sell low!

mlgdave

mlgdave said:
Can anyone please reply to this thread as to what else I need to order immediately while im reading to have it on the way before I start?
Well it seems as though you have most of what you need to inquart your gold, remove base metals, and put your gold sponge into solution.

If you want to precipitate your gold from solution though, you may find that having some SMB (sodium metbisulfite) may be handy. Oh, and do buy or make the stannous chloride you mentioned.

Be safe, have fun!

stannous chloride, Sodium Meta bisulfite , Distilled Water, Sodium Bicarbonate { Emergency/safety reasons}, Borax /Flux, oxygen acetylene torch kit might make things a little easier, hot plate [Accurate}is always good to have, Urea

Latest posts

Back