Familiarization, Karat Gold and Stannous Chloride

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FrugalRefiner said:
Phishin_ca said:
The Stannous Chloride is dead.
Following Dave's suggestion of using a standard solution only when you receive a false positive,
I'm not sure I ever suggested that. I have said that I don't test my stannous as long as it's giving a positive result. I don't need to because it's obviously still working. If it gives a negative result, then I'll test the stannous to make sure the negative is valid, and not the result of oxidized stannous.

Dave
You are correct. I misspoke. I meant to say false negative. I knew there should be a positive result but did not get one. Sorry about that.

Barren Realms 007 said:
Phishin_ca said:
Another update. The Stannous Chloride is dead.
Following Dave's suggestion of using a standard solution only when you receive a false positive, I went a step further. It is pretty quick to make up a tiny bit directly on my spot plate. I noticed an extremely slow reaction to the test with my trusty bottle and I wondered if it was caused by excess oxidizer. A shaving of lead free solder on the plate followed by a couple drops of HCl and waiting (argh), gave me a fresh batch that turned black immediately.

I am almost tempted to no longer keep any for testing and just make new in spot 12 everytime before I start work.

If you read and pay attention on how to store it you would not have this problem.
The tin in the bottom of the vial was depleted.

Latest posts

Back