Fingers in AP,,,,,phase 1

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vegaswinner

Hi to the forum...and a big thanks to lasersteve for the tutorial vids.

So fingers in AP phase 1...Reaction seems to be going well, has been running about 7 hours now. If you can see in the last picture the fingers are almost stripped already. They have had good agitation every 5 minutes in the first 30 minutes then once every 45 minutes thereafter. Just 1 question, is it safe to put a lid or cover on the reaction?, i don't want to have to precipitate my cat later :lol:

Here's my kit, all purchased online or from local shops:::::If your in the UK and want to know where I got the stuff let me know, I was able to purchase all the chemicals without question...

Hydrochloric acid 30% W/W
Hydrogen peroxide 3% Food/aseptic grade
200 trimmed ram stick fingers
Buckets and pyrex measuring jug
safety gloves (nitrile gauntlets)
Chemistry experience none except a D in GCSE 20 yrs ago, lasersteve's video's, this forum...

Will be posting more pictures and giving progress reports over the coming days but ill probably let the reaction sit tonight then get on to phase 2 tomorrow morning

Attachments

• IMG_2416.jpg
    IMG_2416.jpg
    780.8 KB
  • IMG_2417.jpg
    IMG_2417.jpg
    898.3 KB
  • IMG_2418.jpg
    IMG_2418.jpg
    908.1 KB
  • IMG_2419.jpg
    IMG_2419.jpg
    819.7 KB
Can you let me know if place where you got HCl can be found in NI? I will check myself just need to know name of company or shop where you got that and possibly picture of label. Thanks.

You brought it inside just to take the pictures, right?
You and kitty don't need to be huffing those fumes indoors! :shock:

MEEEEOOOOWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!

Funny thing about cats and AP. I had a bucket outside and away from the house and the cat was inquisitive and took a drink before I could get to her. Gave her some milk and didn't have any problems with her. My AP was several weeks old.

curiousity killed the.. well you know. my cat follows me every where when im outside but now if it sees me pick up a bucket it runs and hides for the rest of the day.

glorycloud said:
You brought it inside just to take the pictures, right?
You and kitty don't need to be huffing those fumes indoors! :shock:

MEEEEOOOOWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol: No I only started the reaction indoors, well right by the front door actually then got it outside sharpish....

Today I have hit a problem. Filtered and cleaned all my foils as in the AP tutorial, added the gold foils to a clean bowl for dissolving, added a half cup HCL to the foils then the sodium hyperchlorite but no reaction, i did get a nice yellow solution. What have I done wrong as it looks like none of the foils dissolved even though my solution went yellow??

In lazersteve's tutorial the HCL is 31.45%, the HCL I obtained is 30%. Could it be because of this? or is it possible that the bleach is not was it says on the tub, watered down etc?

Attachments

• IMG_2426[1].jpg
    IMG_2426[1].jpg
    808.3 KB
  • IMG_2423[1].jpg
    IMG_2423[1].jpg
    771.5 KB
the yellow solution is Auric Chloride, add more chlorine till all foils have dissolved. you have to keep adding as necessary to dissolve them all. if you dont get a fizzing reaction when you add chlorine then add a little more hcl acid. by the way, are you just pouring the chemicals over the foils in the filter? place the foils into the chemicals and it will work more efficiently.

Geo said:
the yellow solution is Auric Chloride, add more chlorine till all foils have dissolved. you have to keep adding as necessary to dissolve them all. if you dont get a fizzing reaction when you add chlorine then add a little more hcl acid. by the way, are you just pouring the chemicals over the foils in the filter? place the foils into the chemicals and it will work more efficiently.

No I put the foils in a dish, added half a cup hcl then the chlorine, I added a touch more chlorine to see if it would start the reaction. I never added more HCL so ill give that a try now. I filtered it off anyway just incase I had some Auric Chloride.

Would it still be ok to use the Auric Chloride I just made to add the extra HCL or should I just start a new reaction and precipitate both later? Thanks

I put the foils and the auric chloride that didn't react back in the dish and tried adding more HCL but still no reaction. I will give the foils another rinse and try again, maybe I added to much chlorine in the first place. The heat will have to wait for now as I have no way of heating it up outside at the moment.

this is odd if there is NO reaction. chlorine will react to hcl with no other reagent there. in other words it should fizz if you just pour the two together with no foils in it. remember that the acid is not dissolving the gold but rather the chlorine gas produced in the solution by the hcl acid dissolving sodium hyperchlorite. if there is no fizzing then your not producing the gas that dissolves the gold.

Very strange....I let the reaction bowl sit for about 20 minutes and when I checked I could clearly see some foils still left but also much more solder mask than before so it would seem the chlorine is working. I think ill order some proper sodium hydrochlorite from a chemical supplier as i'm convinced this supermarket stuff is watered down or something. Unless someone can point me to a proven brand, chlorox is not yet available in the UK. Ill also see if I can get the 31.45% HCL instead of the 30% i'm using.

The answer is in his question. Same thing happened to me. Your bleach is probably old and weathered. I went to shop and got jeyes parozone strongest bleach - it even says that it kills flu virus so my gold is flu-free :lol:
http://www.packagingeurope.com/NewsDetails.aspx?nNewsID=38402
blue bottle.

It works perfectly. I do that with same amount of foils in container 30% size of yours one. Also I do it in container with lid it helps me to stir-swirl foils in solution without breathing chlorine fumes and every time when there is small fumes build up I just open lid and vent it out. Do not use heat in dissolving foils as this will drive off chlorine and you will end up adding more bleach and more chlorine. Use heat only when all gold is dissolved to drive chlorine off prior to reducing gold to powder with smb.

vegaswinner said:
I put the foils and the auric chloride that didn't react back in the dish and tried adding more HCL but still no reaction. I will give the foils another rinse and try again, maybe I added to much chlorine in the first place. The heat will have to wait for now as I have no way of heating it up outside at the moment.

If you have a 5 gal plastic bucket you can put your container in the bucket andthen pour some hot water in the bucket and it will warm your solution up. Don't bother with washing your foils just continue to dissolve what you have.

Back