Fingers in AP,,,,,phase 1

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Barren Realms 007 said:
vegaswinner said:
I put the foils and the auric chloride that didn't react back in the dish and tried adding more HCL but still no reaction. I will give the foils another rinse and try again, maybe I added to much chlorine in the first place. The heat will have to wait for now as I have no way of heating it up outside at the moment.

If you have a 5 gal plastic bucket you can put your container in the bucket andthen pour some hot water in the bucket and it will warm your solution up. Don't bother with washing your foils just continue to dissolve what you have.

Ah yes, good idea I can do that....Will try the better bleach first though because its not really cold outside so I expect the reaction should have worked without the heat.

vegaswinner said:
Barren Realms 007 said:
vegaswinner said:
I put the foils and the auric chloride that didn't react back in the dish and tried adding more HCL but still no reaction. I will give the foils another rinse and try again, maybe I added to much chlorine in the first place. The heat will have to wait for now as I have no way of heating it up outside at the moment.

If you have a 5 gal plastic bucket you can put your container in the bucket andthen pour some hot water in the bucket and it will warm your solution up. Don't bother with washing your foils just continue to dissolve what you have.

Ah yes, good idea I can do that....Will try the better bleach first though because its not really cold outside so I expect the reaction should have worked without the heat.

It dosen't take a lot of heat, just a little to bring temp to around 140F will be fine.

I use the Tesco own brand thin bleach, about 30p for 2 litres, works great with B&Q brick and patio cleaner (Hcl) about 6.50 for 5 litres

martyn111 said:
I use the Tesco own brand thin bleach, about 30p for 2 litres, works great with B&Q brick and patio cleaner (Hcl) about 6.50 for 5 litres

Ill be making a trip to b&q tomorrow thats for sure, I paid over £40 for 5l of HCL delivered....

I got the parazone in the blue bottle, bit unsure though as its perfumed?

perfumed shouldn't matter. bleach that i use is 6% sodium hypochlorite and that's pretty basic, too i use muriatic acid which is 32% hydrochloric acid sold as brick cleaning acid at most hardware stores in the U.S.
the bleach is about $0.75 per gallon and the muriatic acid is $6.85 per gallon. this amount should process several ounces of gold foils with hcl left over. use as small amount of hcl as possible,just enough to cover the foils, and add chlorine slowly 10-15ml at a time. look after each addition to see if the foils are digested. just don't stick your nose in it as this process creates chlorine gas which is deadly poison.

Geo said:
perfumed shouldn't matter. bleach that i use is 6% sodium hypochlorite and that's pretty basic, too i use muriatic acid which is 32% hydrochloric acid sold as brick cleaning acid at most hardware stores in the U.S.
the bleach is about $0.75 per gallon and the muriatic acid is $6.85 per gallon. this amount should process several ounces of gold foils with hcl left over. use as small amount of hcl as possible,just enough to cover the foils, and add chlorine slowly 10-15ml at a time. look after each addition to see if the foils are digested. just don't stick your nose in it as this process creates chlorine gas which is deadly poison.

I have another batch of fingers in AP and I chucked in the left over foils from my first attempt so ill have another crack at dissolving them tomorrow. Just waiting on the SMB and I can see if any gold was dissolved in my original solution.

Thanks for all the info on chemicals, surprising the high street disguises for this stuff.

vegaswinner said:
I have another batch of fingers in AP and I chucked in the left over foils from my first attempt so ill have another crack at dissolving them tomorrow. Just waiting on the SMB and I can see if any gold was dissolved in my original solution.

Thanks for all the info on chemicals, surprising the high street disguises for this stuff.
My friend, use stannous chloride to test for values, not SMB. You probably read the last chapter of a mystery novel, too, huh? :p :lol: Really defeats the purpose.

SMB is a precipitant - only use it when you know have a considerable quantity of dissolved gold. You know because the solution tested positive for gold with stannous chloride.

just my dos centavos.

no need to wait. go to the hardware store in the electronics section in buy the smallest package of lead-free solder, this is high tin content, put about 4 inches of solder wire in a small glass container preferably with a dropper but not required then add a few ml of hcl acid and let it sit for 15 minutes. you have just made stannous chloride. take a cotton swab and dip it in your solution till wet then put one drop of the stannous chloride on the wet end. if it stays white after a few minutes there's no gold in it, if it turns purple there's gold present. do a search in the search box for "stannous false positive".

Ok... Went the hardware store, got the solder, lead free... Dropped a small piece in the HCL but it didn't dissolve although a reaction was taking place. I added a bit of heat using the hot water method mentioned and left it for a further 30 mins, the solder still hadn't dissolved but I decided to try the solution anyway and see what happens. Dipped a swab into what i think to be Auric chloride then put a drop of home made stannous on and got an immediate colour change, a very deep almost blacky purple.

Today I diluted the auric chloride and added the SMB, no immediate reaction. After about 2 minutes and a little stirring the solution completely cleared but nothing appeared to drop. I tested it again at this point and again got an immediate colour change to a deep blacky purple. Left the solution on the window sill, checked it after 15 mins or so I noticed it had changed into what looks like muddy water, gave it a stir but no precipitate. Should I add more SMB at this point or let it sit over night?

I estimate at the most there could be 1 or 2 grams of gold in solution so I added 3 grams of SMB to ensure i used enough.. Did I use too much here?

dtectr said:
vegaswinner said:

My friend, use stannous chloride to test for values, not SMB. You probably read the last chapter of a mystery novel, too, huh? :p :lol: Really defeats the purpose.

SMB is a precipitant - only use it when you know have a considerable quantity of dissolved gold. You know because the solution tested positive for gold with stannous chloride.

just my dos centavos.

I didn't realise at the time I could make stannous from solder. I was just going to add the SMB to see if I got a precipitate not to test it as in with stannous. As for the novel well,,,,I've never even made the foreword let alone the last chapter lol

Just as a side note you should be able to get your bleach/ chlorox from your chemical suppliers, ask them for dairy grade sodium hypochlorite, it's about as strong a solution you can around get, around 15%, open it outside use it sparingly..... keep it away from the cat!

I think we may have gold powder in the solutions. After being left a day to settle both solutions look clear, test negative with stannous for gold and I have what looks like a brown powder settled at the bottom of the dishes. Just need to siphon these off and collect up the powder ready for melting. I've attached a picture so you can see the final precipitate. I noticed in the video that gold precipitates as a brown powder but Lasersteve also got gold particles on the spatula, is it normal not to actually see gold particles in solution every time or would you expect to see some gold particles when you add the SMB?

Attachments

• IMG_2431[1].jpg
    IMG_2431[1].jpg
    642.4 KB
you will need to dissolve and refine again if you are worried about purity. it will go faster the second time. the reason gold precipitated on the spatula in the video is he was working with pure Auric Chloride with no impurities and there was alot more gold in the solution than you had. it happens to my plastic spatula to the point i have to place my spatula in the vessel when i dissolve with hcl+cl just to reclaim the gold off my spatula.when you put SMB in a solution that is acidic the SMB dissolves and releases sulfur dioxide gas. this gas causes the gold atoms to attract to one another forming larger pieces until they become heavy enough to settle to the bottom. the more you agitate the solution after you add the SMB the faster the gold will coalesce and settle due to more atoms moving against each other.

Geo said:
you will need to dissolve and refine again if you are worried about purity. it will go faster the second time. the reason gold precipitated on the spatula in the video is he was working with pure Auric Chloride with no impurities and there was alot more gold in the solution than you had. it happens to my plastic spatula to the point i have to place my spatula in the vessel when i dissolve with hcl+cl just to reclaim the gold off my spatula.when you put SMB in a solution that is acidic the SMB dissolves and releases sulfur dioxide gas. this gas causes the gold atoms to attract to one another forming larger pieces until they become heavy enough to settle to the bottom. the more you agitate the solution after you add the SMB the faster the gold will coalesce and settle due to more atoms moving against each other.

I will re refine with HCL+CL when I have a few more grams of powder then move on to my first button. Shouldn't be too long, I already have 2 dishes to siphon, an AP reaction going on and should have another 150 or so pci cards to trim tomorrow :p

Back