First attempt at cementing silver

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good to know thanks guys..... i have a question
I there was soo much copper in that "cement silver" that i wouldn't even call it silver... I've seen a lot of people on this forum saying when they cement out silver with copper its almost pure.... Hokes book doesn't mention using copper, she goes straight to silver chloride.... even with silver nitrate. What parameters need to be met to get a decent purity silver.... do you dilute it? Do you make sure the nitric is all used up? How do i cement out silver without pulling down all sorts of copper too?

Good to know thanks guys..... i have a question
I there was soo much copper in that "cement silver" that i wouldn't even call it silver... I've seen a lot of people on this forum saying when they cement out silver with copper its almost pure.... Hokes book doesn't mention using copper, she goes straight to silver chloride.... even with silver nitrate. What parameters need to be met to get a decent purity silver.... do you dilute it? Do you make sure the nitric is all used up? How do i cement out silver without pulling down all sorts of copper too?
First and foremost a decent slab of Copper so it don't fall apart during the cementing.
And if you have managed to not overdo the Nitric there will be less dissolution of the Copper.
The Copper will be consumed by the transition from Silver Nitrate to Copper Nitrate anyway, but no need to let it dissolve by Nitric.

First and foremost a decent slab of Copper so it don't fall apart during the cementing.
And if you have managed to not overdo the Nitric there will be less dissolution of the Copper.
The Copper will be consumed by the transition from Silver Nitrate to Copper Nitrate anyway, but no need to let it dissolve by Nitric.
Alright.... so you mean a thicker piece? That was legit copper piping from the hardware store... it was small and not very thick but it was pure copper....

Alright.... so you mean a thicker piece? That was legit copper piping from the hardware store... it was small and not very thick but it was pure copper....
If you cement for further refining, no problem, but if you cement for sale or purity, the Copper needs to be in a shape that do not deteriorate or fall apart.

Latest posts

Back