flatpack question

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drowningbodacius

Hi Everybody!!
So i have this question cause i have a couple pounds of flat packs that i need to process but i cant use the pyrolysis method to recover the Au out of them. i was wondering if there was a wet way to dissolve the flatpacks

It would be hard to get all of the values without inceneration or heating somewhere in the process.

A torch, or hot air gun to remove heatsinks (pins could also be removed here if you wish), the plastic plug broken out with a hammer and screw driver, copper and kovar removed with the copper II chloride leach, and some of the gold removed with HCl/Bleach.

The fiber board would hold some fine gold between its layers cooking out the epoxy resin to seperate the fiberglass would be needed to get to that, maybe just save the fiberglass remains for when you can incenerate or grind to powders.

ok the reason i ask is that i live on a boat so i was wondering about it as its winter time and quite cold outside. but i read that you can dissolve fiberglass in ethanol. i wonder if any body has ever tried it? or if it is even worth it?

I do not think you are going to break down the epoxy in the fiberglass circuit board with chemicals well, and if you can inceneration would still be needed in my thinking.

Next time you come to shore or land start a fire of drift wood on the beach roast a few hotdogs, then after the fire dies down to coals roast a few CPU's. :lol:

butcher said:
I do not think you are going to break down the epoxy in the fiberglass circuit board with chemicals well, and if you can inceneration would still be needed in my thinking.

Next time you come to shore or land start a fire of drift wood on the beach roast a few hotdogs, then after the fire dies down to coals roast a few CPU's. :lol:

That would be my suggetsion. Question...
A vacant camp ground for winter being perfect for camp fire and hot dogs, smors...nice cover... would it suffice to put them in a metal coffee can and let the fire burn out? Do you think it would get hot enough and burn long enough to roast?

The steel coffee tin can would work, but tin oxides and iron would flake off some, not that big of a problem here, but if you had an old stainless steel pan with a lid that would work better, and eventually you will wish to incinerate other material, that you will not want to contaminated further by iron and tin from a tin can.

Save up your materials to be incinerated, for the next time you are out camping.
I live in the woods, and will save up my materials like this till fall and spring when I burn big wood slash piles from cleaning up the woods. Then I will dig a hole and fill and it with hot coals from the fire, sit my pan in the coals then shovel coals around the pan, depending on material most will burn to white ash and easily crushed with mortar and pestle, screening the material old flour kitchen screen sifter, a few small parts of material may need returned to the pan and returned to the fire to be re-incinerated.

Hi guys
I was wondering could this work

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mT1FStxAVz4

:?: :?: :?:

theres actually too many reasons this is a bad way to do this. the purpose of what the man in the video was doing was to expose the the chip and wires to photograph.i believe he most likely did not do many this way.to achieve certain things (especially when try to get a perfect picture) people resorts to things that are impractical to do on a large scale. if you are thinking about removing the epoxy body with hot nitric acid, you will notice that he cut over 90% away mechanically. there is a process but it is not for the hobbyist and is not recommended. if i were you, i would give up on a chemical way to dissolve the resin bodies and try to find a way to incinerate. some members including myself have had pretty good luck with a cheap BBQ grill on legs. charcoal is the only fuel needed.

Latest posts

Back