"foggy" solution after precipitation, too much SO2 ?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MicheleM

Dear all

After gold precipitation from the yellow solution in with potassium meta-bisulfite (Image1 :left and center), the resulting solution (image1, right) appears slightly yellow with micro-bubbles of gas that make the solution non completely transparent. Maybe too much sulfite?
Image1:
IMAGE1.PNG

I did a stannous test and the result is negative to gold and moreover without colors, nut i'm not sure that i can trust it because this time to produce SnCl2 i used 34% HCl and tin coming from solder wire (with 5 %or 10% of Pb. i do not remember exactly)

Any comment is welcome, thank you and have a good day!

Just a guess but the cloud you can see could well be your gold precipitating from your solution, looking at your last photo that brown powder could well be your gold.

thank you nickvc for your kind reply,

Yes, the brown powder has a certain percentage of gold but it looks brown, dark brown, so maybe i should re-refine it.
I filtered the barren solution that is now crystal clear (yellowish color) , i see that the fine brown dust in that i collected in the filter is much harder to re-dissolve with HCl-Cl.
i am going to use less potassium metabisulfite in the next days
thank you again,

To test if your stannous is still working and good, you can make a reference liquid that holds just enough gold to get a faint reaction with your Stannous Chloride.
Take a little bit of gold chloride before precipitating, and dilute until just weak enough to get a result.

The foggy liquid from the gold powder:leave it for another week or so until all is dropped.
Fine gold particles will not give a positive test, SnCl2only shows gold in solution. There may be ultra fine particles floating around.

If gold particles do stay suspended, add a bit (20ml) of H2SO4 and boil. The particles will clean, clump together and fall to the bottom. > tip from Geo

How to clean 'Dirty" gold powder/ "Get pure shiny gold": https://www.goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=325
It should be a nice light brown powder before melting.

Martijn.

Thank you Martijn,

after the filtration the liquid was crystal clear and it has no more particles or bubbles. i i am going to read the link in your comment before any further action.
have a good day!

Good morning everyone,

yes i think that i was right to not completely trust my previous stannous test:

i left a copper bar in the solution for 24 hours, then i filtered again the solution and i washed well the copper bar. i collected a very small amount of black powder then dissolved in HCl-Cl. As you can see in the figure below: left, the solution is clear with just a greenish color , right: the black powder dissolved in HCl-Cl
Figure:
Image6.PNG

i read carefully the standard washing procedure for gold powder, but this is the most difficult step for me because i have only one 100 ml boro-silicate glass item and not others heat-resistant glass containers. I will find a way to do it properly using my available tools.

Again thank you Martijn and Nickvc.
Have a good day!

You can use Pyrex for heating but I would advise using a sand bath to spread the heat so the glass does not fracture or shatter, for cleaning up your powders that should suffice.

thank you nickvc,
the sand bath is a good idea, i am going to use it.

Have a good evening

For the washing steps you just need to cover the powder with a bit of acid. A small beaker in a sand bath will do fine for a couple of grams of gold.

Thank you Martijn,
i am going to do a water-acid-water wash
as soon as the "sand-bath setup" will be ready,

Thank you very much guys i really appreciate the time that you spent to answer me

Have a good day/night!

Hello everyone,
i do not know exactly how very fine gold powder should appear, but looking to the colors from the picture below (i did the harold washing procedure, except for ammonium hydroxide) i guess that i am a little bit far from the right color, i would like to know your opinion,

thank you! have a nice day

washed.PNG

Happy Easter and thank you again for your support,

maybe not the best result (i should improve my washing procedure and other minor details) but in the end i am very satisfied , 0.33 grams from 240 grams of pins (60 g,full plated, 180 grams not full plated) and foils from more or less the equivalent of 18 RAM sticks

last.PNG

Have a good day!

Latest posts

Back