foils disappeared in nitric

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i agree that incineration is a prolonged heating and simple burning isn't the same and i really should have explained the difference but in this situation i gave the simplest directions i could think of to get what he needed to do done.

thanks Harold, it slipped my mind to mention the rinses even though i do them myself. sometimes i assume people are at the same level of knowledge as i am about certain things and the simplest things sometimes escape me. to be honest it didn't cross my mind to wash in hcl to remove the tin.

Geo, I understood you, and the advice you gave, and considering his case, it was good advice.

I was afraid other new members may think that they can incinerate all powders or salts with just some lighter fluid, and a quick burn time, and wanted to clarify the difference.

Edit to add : Actually if it was not for safety concerns, the lighter fluid method may be good to remove light oils from some materials, (I use similar method with alcohol sometimes, but I will not recommend this on open forum, afraid some young fire bug may let this get out of hand). A torch is safer and that is what I recommend in this case, (heat from bottom so you do not blow away values).

Butcher, that is a fantastic post about incineration. You did a great job of following through with your explanations. It is always better to know why things work the way they do rather than just doing something and not really understanding why you are doing it. You have done a great job with the "here's why" part.

I love it when people qualify their statements and follow through with their explanations. Takes the guess work out.

The one question I do have is when would you choose corning ware vs stainless.

When I was half way through your tutorial I said to myself "I have got to find the books he is reading" I will be doing more incineration soon and I will have this post at my station for sure. :)

I will use corning ware for salts that may eat (corrode the stainless) steel.

Incinerating in this dish allows me do almost the whole process in the corning ware dish without remove powders (or metals), so that almost the whole process, is done in the dish without moving powders from jar to jar, or removing corning ware dish from the hotplate.

The white corning ware dish, or the kind of vision-ware skillet pink, amber or white, these are very resistant to heat (but do not change temperature to fast), they are very strong to abuse, I have incinerated metals to red hot (even some metal melted with torch before), and not broke one yet.

example incineration done in corning dish to remove oil and carbon plastic, or convert salts to metals and oxidize metals, and so on, cool, add water, boil to wash the incinerated powders, let settle, siphon rinses,(repeat as needed) and continue with process, without removing materials from the corning ware dish (or dish from hot plate), I can go on and do a heated nitric acid leach, settle decant (siphon) nitric leach, boiling hot rinses, after settling, decant (siphon) repeat and then dry, re-incinerate, then an HCl wash (to remove tin oxide),settle, decant, boiling hot water washes (to remove lead),settle decant,(repeat if needed), then heated aqua regia (to dissolve gold), dilute solution and settle (silver chloride and other salts), then decant (siphon) solution into filter to get filtered solution into my clean jar ready for precipitating gold in.
This is not an actual process just an example.

Say I have a bunch of chips I want to incinerate, then since I always have pile’s of wood to burn or stumps, these provide my coal fire, here is where my stainless steel skillet is used pan filled with chips set on red hot bed of coals, incinerated till almost char, removed from fire and crushed while hot in skillet, returned to fire, powders stirred and exposed to air with heat, sometimes the pan will be removed from coal fire and a propane torch heats from above (we want to see the metal glow red but not melt). Now this is cooled sometimes panned, or screened and then processed in casserole dish as mentioned above.

I do have some fancy lab glass (put up clean and safe), but have not used it in my recovery or refining (yet) (call me funny but I do not want to break or scratch or get it dirty my pretty lab ware). Most of my lab is kitchen ware. It serves me well. Jars and such get used scratched or too stained they just get demoted to recovery, and a new pickle or canning jar is cleaned and ready to go onto the front line. Coffee pots (Pyrex or Mr. Coffee) I pay a quarter for, and get a heck of a lot of use out of one. Crock pots, blenders, coffee mug warmers. One of these days I may get some acids in one of those fancy lab glasses (maybe)?

Hoke's book is the one I suggest reading, even after you study it several times you will find things written between the lines, that give you ways to improve your processes.

Edit: I cannot remember for sure, but seems to me Hoke, recommended the cassarol dish to me in her book, along with my crock pot (not to be confused with the slow cooker I use), and some other tools I use.

Latest posts

Back