• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Gold Refining Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

For Sale For sale: Boards and Ceramic CPUs

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like i said im not new to this.Ive helped pioneer the recycling industry..Ive sold to everyone just about in the business from small to large deals.

jons007

I am sorry but I have to call B. S. on your above statement

With that said - I hope you will understand that the rest of what I will be posting is in no way meant to be rude to you &/or to put you down --- rather - it is meant to help you understand what this forum you have just joined is all about as well as the high level of professionals we have here in the field of e-scrapping - PM (Precious Metal) recovery & refining --- You have just joined the worlds very best forum for discussion in this field - you simply will not find a better source for information in this field - not anywhere !!!

We are not just a bunch of backyard - You Tube - hobby scrappers/refiners

Yes it is true that many of our members are backyard/hobby scrappers/refiners - BUT - the other side of this coin is the fact that many of us are in fact true professionals in this field

When I say professionals I am talking about people that make their living doing things such as - consulting for the setting up of large world class refineries - running mid size to large world class refineries - owners of mid size to large size refineries - & yes even members that own or run mid size to large size e-scrapping business

I am going to give you a very short list of just a few of our professional members

Refiners ------

4metals - he has spent his entire life consulting for & setting up large world class refineries & has done so all around world - he is now retired form his life time work in this field - I have had the great honor of meeting this man & spending time in his house

Lou - he runs & manages 4 large world class refineries

Palladium - he owns his own mid size refinery

That is just a small sample of many other such professionals we have on this forum

Scappers

Silversadle1 - he started scrapping e-waste long before it even became a commonly known thing - he has spent his life time in this business & is now semi retired from it

We buy electronic scrap circuit boards, cpus, motherboards. Top ewaste prices in the industry. --- the man that owns this company got his start as a result of being a member of this forum - he started out as a backyard scrapper & built it into the business he currently owns - he built that business on the foundation of paying fair & honest prices for e-scrap - I have done business with him & will vouch for his fair & honest business dealings

Cash for your Computer Scrap | Cash for Computer Scrap --- the man that owns this business is the same as boardsort - he started out as a backyard scrapper - got his start as a member here & built it into the current business that he owns & he built that business by paying fair & honest prices - though I have never done business with him there are many other members that will vouch for his fair & honest business practice

I also got my start here - started on a hobby level & thanks to the help of the professional members of this forum I soon turned that hobby into a small/mid size business - my business did both scrapping & refining --- in other words - part of my business was buying & selling boards - 2 - 3 tons per month --- the other part was actual refining - I refined only the very highest grade stuff that came in from buy/sell part of my business - I built my business on being fair & honest with my clients - I am now retired from that - but continue to be a contributing member of this forum in order to help new members achieve the same level of success that I & so many others have achieved as a result of this forums professionalism

So jons007 - again - I most certainly do not mean to be rude here - but when you make a comment like -----

Like i said im not new to this.Ive helped pioneer the recycling industry..Ive sold to everyone just about in the business from small to large deals

Such a statement begs the question --- if you are in fact a "pioneer" in this field --- then why are you trying to sell your boards here? - & why are you trying to sell them as a MIXED lot - instead of having them sorted into their true value categories?

in other words - as a "pioneer" in this field I would think you would be an owner of a business like boardsort &/or cash for computers --- &/or be a top manager of a company like Dynamic or IRT

As well - as a pioneer in this field - I would think that you would know the importance of knowing the 30 plus different categories of boards - have your boards sorted into those categories - so that you could post a fair & honest asking price of what you have --- instead of trying to sell them as a mixed lot - with a hypothetical price of what you "think" they are worth

In other words - as a "pioneer" in this field - why are you trying to sell your boards - in a manner - outside - the long time & well established norms in the business of buying & selling boards
But again have never founf a straight shooter thats honest and reliable and ependable enough to sell to.

I have pointed you to 4 companies that are in fact fair & honest in their business dealings

I have done business with three of those companies & have never had an issue with their honesty & in fact highly recommend them

So hope that helps

Other then that - welcome to the forum & I hope you stick around - as you have just found the worlds very best place of discussion in this field - you will not find a better place - anywhere in the world

Kurt

The bottom line:
If seller does not provide a consistent and viable product, they will always be looking for a different buyer every time they have inventory.
Treat the buyer fairly, and a long term business relationship will develop. Sort your material and let buyer know exactly he is getting.
Similarly, if buyer receives a good and consistent product, he will keep returning.
However, I have encountered many sellers who either mix their products to create an illusion or misrepresent their product. And when buyer is long distance and cannot witness loading, he is taken advantage of, eats his losses and never returns.

Hey thanks for the massive amount of information..That will help..
Also my statement as a pioneer applies to my little world just as any thing you do does the same and also the ones you mentioned..
like Edison stole the light bulb, and Bell the phone this qoute yet holds true in every aspect of peoples lives.So it means nothing to me that i am the small guy..
Wasnt born rich or lived on a hill or had the advantages as some others in life, nor banks to loan me money to get my business started..
But here in Silicon valley area i am well respected in the trade..Lol..didnt say anyone likes me, just respected..
"Small guys dont always get the credit it is normally the ones at the top!"

Any Offers?

25lbs

Attachments

• 20220811_153207.jpg
    20220811_153207.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
  • 20220811_153234.jpg
    20220811_153234.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
  • Resized_20210114_143015(1).jpeg
    Resized_20210114_143015(1).jpeg
    910.9 KB · Views: 2
  • Resized_20210114_143015.jpeg
    Resized_20210114_143015.jpeg
    910.9 KB · Views: 1
jons007

With that said - I hope you will understand that the rest of what I will be posting is in no way meant to be rude to you &/or to put you down --- rather - it is meant to help you understand what this forum you have just joined is all about as well as the high level of professionals we have here in the field of e-scrapping - PM (Precious Metal) recovery & refining --- You have just joined the worlds very best forum for discussion in this field - you simply will not find a better source for information in this field - not anywhere !!!

the man that owns this company (BOARDSORT) got his start as a result of being a member of this forum - he started out as a backyard scrapper & built it into the business he currently owns - he built that business on the foundation of paying fair & honest prices for e-scrap - I have done business with him & will vouch for his fair & honest business dealings

in other words - as a "pioneer" in this field I would think you would be an owner of a business like boardsort &/or cash for computers --- &/or be a top manager of a company like Dynamic or IRT

My reply here is directed more towards future buyers who may not have the experience to recognize a difficult buy and not necessarily to the original poster and seller of this scrap.

I am one of the above mentioned owners and I absolutely agree with all of the observations made here by GRF members with respect to the materials being offered in this post. As a professional buyer, I would unfortunately be forced to look at this particular lot with a healthy dose of skepticism.

There is no question that the collection consists of higher grade board and cpu material. However there are many red flags visible that should cause any experienced buyer to be skeptical. The abundance of heatsinks on the boards and cpus indicates that these boards have yet to be cleaned. In my experience, metal contamination can represent 30% to 50% of the overall weight of the material, more if we are talking about CPU's. Most experienced scrappers and especially pioneers in the industry understand this basic step when it comes to material sales and gold recovery and would have addressed the contamination by cleaning it first, or at the very least acknowledging it with a more legitimate grade description. What other acknowledgments were not made with respect to the entire lot?

There is a good chance these boxes are simply being flipped or brokered based on appearance and the nature of the offer, we don't know, so caution must be exercised.

Our purchasing policy at Boardsort would prevent us from making a flat offer for this mix. We would require the lot to be shaken down and properly sorted and graded (but not cleaned) by our trained staff. The good news is that based on the volume here, a complete material audit with sort would only come at a cost of 10% of the overall value (sort fee) on payout.

Initially we would have no idea what is in the bottom of those boxes. My experience has shown that when we do find the proverbial "bowling ball" in the bottom of the box, the seller "didn't know" it was there either.

Is there $10,000 or more dollars of scrap material here? No one here really knows, and I suspect not even the seller. If the seller had in fact went through and calculated the true sorted value, why mix it all back up? The material would not appear in such a disarray if it was properly handled to begin with and the deal could go much more efficiently for a higher value. So the seller is guessing and the buyer is guessing. Not the best way to conduct a 5 figure transaction.

I am sure Jons007 is a standup guy, and clearly he has a fair amount of gold bearing material. Unfortunately the buyer would be making a big gamble when evaluating the overall worth. In order to buy this lot with any level of reasonability, it would require additional labor by the seller or the buyer. Either way, someone has some work to do in order to realize the actual value being suggested by the seller.

My reply here is directed more towards future buyers who may not have the experience to recognize a difficult buy and not necessarily to the original poster and seller of this scrap.

I am one of the above mentioned owners and I absolutely agree with all of the observations made here by GRF members with respect to the materials being offered in this post. As a professional buyer, I would unfortunately be forced to look at this particular lot with a healthy dose of skepticism.

There is no question that the collection consists of higher grade board and cpu material. However there are many red flags visible that should cause any experienced buyer to be skeptical. The abundance of heatsinks on the boards and cpus indicates that these boards have yet to be cleaned. In my experience, metal contamination can represent 30% to 50% of the overall weight of the material, more if we are talking about CPU's. Most experienced scrappers and especially pioneers in the industry understand this basic step when it comes to material sales and gold recovery and would have addressed the contamination by cleaning it first, or at the very least acknowledging it with a more legitimate grade description. What other acknowledgments were not made with respect to the entire lot?

There is a good chance these boxes are simply being flipped or brokered based on appearance and the nature of the offer, we don't know, so caution must be exercised.

Our purchasing policy at Boardsort would prevent us from making a flat offer for this mix. We would require the lot to be shaken down and properly sorted and graded (but not cleaned) by our trained staff. The good news is that based on the volume here, a complete material audit with sort would only come at a cost of 10% of the overall value (sort fee) on payout.

Initially we would have no idea what is in the bottom of those boxes. My experience has shown that when we do find the proverbial "bowling ball" in the bottom of the box, the seller "didn't know" it was there either.

Is there $10,000 or more dollars of scrap material here? No one here really knows, and I suspect not even the seller. If the seller had in fact went through and calculated the true sorted value, why mix it all back up? The material would not appear in such a disarray if it was properly handled to begin with and the deal could go much more efficiently for a higher value. So the seller is guessing and the buyer is guessing. Not the best way to conduct a 5 figure transaction.

I am sure Jons007 is a standup guy, and clearly he has a fair amount of gold bearing material. Unfortunately the buyer would be making a big gamble when evaluating the overall worth. In order to buy this lot with any level of reasonability, it would require additional labor by the seller or the buyer. Either way, someone has some work to do in order to realize the actual value being suggested by the seller.
Hello to the writer of this post..
A well written statement of how you are backing up the community!
I agree that is what you do my friend when you can all make money together.
Wish i could have that oppurtunity!

I will say a few things, but it does not pertain to you so please dont take this personally!
I dont want hostile replies just giving my Real opinion...

So Unfortunately when we speak of fairness we have different understandings of whats fair..
That is the problem....For what ive seen in this business its about who will cheat you less than the other guy!
Nobodys fair in this business! never will be one to do it, everyone wants more than his fair share so he can brag about how he built his business taking advantage of people!

Gold does that to people...who in the hell buys scarp and hopes to come out less than double his money?
nooone!! he actually wants to see an amazing profit margin! but does not want to pay the money to get it..
whch is why we get people crying about sorting and 30-50 lbs of weight.. and knowing they will still make extreme profits!
And even at $5lb x 50lbs+ $250.00 this is ridiculous to hold up a 5 figure deal which speaks volumes about the buyer!!

here is what I learned about the business over 20 years ago when researching this guy about recycling boards..
and Dealing with people like The Taggerts in silicon Valley who built an empire doing this..

https://www.recyclingtoday.com/article/ecs-refining-relocating-stockton-stockton/
but I also understand basic math without being a chemist, the value of scrap material is what it is, and the yield will be consistent...

i usually took in basic grade boards to the Taggerts and usually recieved the same results..
I kept my high grade bords and sold to someone else paying higher!

and this is to the newbies also!

heres what i found just doing resesarch following the first guy i saw recycling back in the 2000s...

so i always had an expectation of price regardles of sort as long as they were somewhat sorted..i knew my guy understood the value like i did, if he wanted to be fair..

so on average 2000 lbs. basic average computer motherboards (not high yielding boards )

should yield the following..

8 and 11 troy ounces of 24k gold.........so just the value today is say 9 oz x $1,743.15 oz is $15,688.35
10 to 20 times this amount in silver from the solder and other components (i remeber as high as 30 oz)

silver 25 oz x $18.78= 469.00

so minimum value of 2000lbs. basic motherboards today is roughly worth 16k plus!!

what we cant figurre this out???? is this a secret in this community???

Or you think we dont know or do you want us to believe something else bad or inferior about our loads so they can be down graded by you????

and I learned this information before 2004...
And this is universally known when you get your assay back from the refineries it give you a similiar statement of recovery!
So what else do i need to know really??
nothing!!
just get my cut of what we know will come out of these boards without argument or discussion!!

if there were a fair guy that would be wiling to be honest and do it so wheres your fair guy???

1661824659306.png

Ted Mooney, P.E.
https://www.finishing.com/home/about.shtml

Ted Mooney said:
2004. Hello, I am going to have to agree with some of the things that have been said in this post in reference to the "hobbyist" and chemicals and the inherent danger involved in these processes. That said, it can be economically viable to process SOME electronic scrap utilizing a variety of different methods. In answer to questions relative to the quantities and types of recyclable materials from electronic scrap:

One ton (2000 lbs) of "average" circuit board from modern computers and electronics generally yields (in a very good system) between 8 and 11 troy ounces of 24k gold. This gold is found in a number of places, including the plated gold leads referred to earlier, on plated pins inside the connectors and on the board in a number of places and on and within the ic (integrated circuits) on the board itself. In addition, there will generally be around 10 to 20 times this amount in silver from the solder and other components (although depending upon the method of recovery, this yield may not be reached). Some types of electronic board have greater yields of silver and almost no gold; this is generally the board without connector ends and major ics. There are also minute amounts of palladium, platinum and other pgms (mostly in certain capacitors, but also in some chips and connectors). Your highest yields of gold in computer scrap especially are rarely from clipped plated leads, but from the processor/cpu, memory and other ics (which can yield 2 gm/lb or more, depending upon the type and age). Many of the older electronics and early computer equipment will be much much higher in volume, while the newest (97 and newer) I would surmise would be lower, although I have not processed enough to tell you for sure.

There are several ways to process these materials. Personally, I have used an electrolytic method utilizing cyanide leaching and Aqua Regia methods with success. I am still relatively new to the electrolytic method and have been using some cyanide alternatives recently, but with varying success and without much yield in silver. With Aqua Regia processing, you are able to process out each material by selectively precipitating from solution after absorbing in the acid. AR is a mixture of nitric acid and hydrochloric acid; it may also be manufactured using sodium nitrate (nitrate of soda available as a fertilizer) and Muriatic Acid [affil. link to info/product on Amazon] (used as a concrete cleaner among other things). I first burn the materials, then crush them and dissolve in the acid and then let settle, filter, precipitate and then refine my metals. THIS IS DANGEROUS. DO NOT DO IT UNLESS YOU HAVE SOME KNOWLEDGE OF CHEMISTRY, UNDERSTAND THE DANGERS AND HAVE THE FACILITIES. Certainly, never try this in a confined area or around open flame AND DON'T GET ANY OF IT ON YOU and don't breathe the fumes. Also, you have to be careful about how you get rid of the after-products. If you really want to get into that, you can check out some info at shor.com's website and there are other resources as well if you do a search on the net. For most of you, THE DANGERS WILL GREATLY OUTWEIGH THE BENEFIT if you don't have SIGNIFICANT KNOWLEDGE and quite a bit of common sense. A little bit of AR on you (or fumes in your lungs) and you will wish you had never heard of gold (or at least that you had taken your stuff to a refiner). That is, of course, if you have any wishes left. Because I don't believe most of the posters here are fully ready for this process, I have purposely left out the details on how to mix the chemicals, but I wanted to point out that there are significant quantities of precious content in these items and that it can be economically viable. So, for most of you, you will want to sell your whole populated computer board to a recycler or, if you have large quantities, think about a refinery.

Currently, 486 and older processors should bring at least a buck each, Pentium and newer scrap processors at least $.65 each, assorted clean plated pins $15.00 and up per lb, clipped plated connectors at least 12.00/lb. Whole PCB (not clipped or cleaned of pins) should bring at least $.60/lb. These are prices selling to a reputable recycler, who will take bulk to a refiner. You won't get the maximum profit this way, but it is safe and pretty easy. If you go to a refinery, you should get higher returns, but bear in mind that there are additional costs and really check out the refinery you will use. In order to make it worthwhile at a refinery, you should have at least a couple of tons of material (10-15,000 lbs would be best) and you will be expected to provide transportation of the materials to the refinery and, generally, pay between .10 and.50/lb for the refining expenses. The refinery will do an assay or assays of your scrap and will pay you out based on those assays, so your materials should be sorted by the type of material to maximize your profits. Generally, you will be paid for between 90 and 97% of the gold, silver and maybe platinum/palladium depending on the refinery, based on the assay. You have to look for a good refinery, as many are less scrupulous than others. I have found that a refinery usually pays me out based on about 90% of what I would have been able to recover had I done it myself. I figure this is probably due to filter loss and a variety of other factors and not due to their being inherently dishonest, but you should keep these numbers in mind when figuring out what is the best method for you.

Other types of gold plated materials (like jewelry, old medals, and many others) vary greatly in their yield, but most have some value. Gold filled materials can be a great profit maker too if you can pick them up cheap.

Okay, so that is my little bit of info. on this area of interest. Like I said, processing yourself can be dangerous; I hope I haven't made too many of you want to go that route, as it is easier and can be just as profitable to use recyclers and refineries (you have more time and less expense). If you have any questions, excepting exact methodology for processing yourself (as I don't intend to help anyone hurt themselves), I will try to help

jons007

Yes it is true that many of our members are backyard/hobby scrappers/refiners - BUT - the other side of this coin is the fact that many of us are in fact true professionals in this field

When I say professionals I am talking about people that make their living doing things such as - consulting for the setting up of large world class refineries - running mid size to large world class refineries - owners of mid size to large size refineries - & yes even members that own or run mid size to large size e-scrapping business

I am going to give you a very short list of just a few of our professional members

Refiners ------

4metals - he has spent his entire life consulting for & setting up large world class refineries & has done so all around world - he is now retired form his life time work in this field - I have had the great honor of meeting this man & spending time in his house

Lou - he runs & manages 4 large world class refineries

Palladium - he owns his own mid size refinery

That is just a small sample of many other such professionals we have on this forum

Scappers

Silversadle1 - he started scrapping e-waste long before it even became a commonly known thing - he has spent his life time in this business & is now semi retired from it

We buy electronic scrap circuit boards, cpus, motherboards. Top ewaste prices in the industry. --- the man that owns this company got his start as a result of being a member of this forum - he started out as a backyard scrapper & built it into the business he currently owns - he built that business on the foundation of paying fair & honest prices for e-scrap - I have done business with him & will vouch for his fair & honest business dealings

Cash for your Computer Scrap | Cash for Computer Scrap --- the man that owns this business is the same as boardsort - he started out as a backyard scrapper - got his start as a member here & built it into the current business that he owns & he built that business by paying fair & honest prices - though I have never done business with him there are many other members that will vouch for his fair & honest business practice

I also got my start here - started on a hobby level & thanks to the help of the professional members of this forum I soon turned that hobby into a small/mid size business - my business did both scrapping & refining --- in other words - part of my business was buying & selling boards - 2 - 3 tons per month --- the other part was actual refining - I refined only the very highest grade stuff that came in from buy/sell part of my business - I built my business on being fair & honest with my clients - I am now retired from that - but continue to be a contributing member of this forum in order to help new members achieve the same level of success that I & so many others have achieved as a result of this forums professionalism

So jons007 - again - I most certainly do not mean to be rude here - but when you make a comment like -----

Such a statement begs the question --- if you are in fact a "pioneer" in this field --- then why are you trying to sell your boards here? - & why are you trying to sell them as a MIXED lot - instead of having them sorted into their true value categories?

As well - as a pioneer in this field - I would think that you would know the importance of knowing the 30 plus different categories of boards - have your boards sorted into those categories - so that you could post a fair & honest asking price of what you have --- instead of trying to sell them as a mixed lot - with a hypothetical price of what you "think" they are worth

In other words - as a "pioneer" in this field - why are you trying to sell your boards - in a manner - outside - the long time & well established norms in the business of buying & selling boards

I have pointed you to 4 companies that are in fact fair & honest in their business dealings

I have done business with three of those companies & have never had an issue with their honesty & in fact highly recommend them

So hope that helps

Other then that - welcome to the forum & I hope you stick around - as you have just found the worlds very best place of discussion in this field - you will not find a better place - anywhere in the world

Kurt
Hi those are all good questions...
LOL...That should answered at all top levels of our government ..
I am a monority and will always be treated as such!!!
No doors will open as they did for you or them others!!!
I will always be on the bottom and never the top you and many others will make sure of that..lol ..so it is how the game is played ...
the fact there is not 1 minority proves business as large as most...says something is wrong...
I tried to get it free like everyone else when it first started..Lol..they told me to go get a job!
meanwhile my colleagues were getting millions of dollars of free equipment from companies!!

So dont try to sell me the BS... all of yall were able to get free millions or thousands of dollars from companies,, i bought from most recyclers which is how i made a living going to simple minded recyclers buying your scrap!
paying out thousands for items you just picked up for free from recycle...
Tell the truth... like you really worked hard for your success!!
If i got free millions I guess id be able to invest in huge buildings and companies too!
Lol..not one person here has not recieved that benefit of free equipment!

so think about your privledge before you go speaking about sh you dont understand!!

This is my opinion on the matter, I have no intention on offending anyone nor criticize other business model, this is how i buy the scrap, please treat this post accordingly.

First of, when i buy scrap or set the price to buy the scrap i follow strict rules. (my rules)
1) identify the material i am going to buy
2) calculate the costs of materials i have to use to recover and refine that material (with a margin of 15% error)
3) Calculate costs and the amount of time needed to recover and refine the material. (including shipping, sorting etc.)
4) calculate the costs of making a finished (sellable) product
5) Use a clean profit margin of at least 20-25% after all costs.

If the math doesnt add up i just dont buy the material, simple as that. I rather spend my time playing with my kids if i cannot make a fair profit.

Now my question to Johns007 (without any attack to your person or to the business that you make).

What actual value do you add to the material you are selling?

Be safe,

Pete

P.S: I build up my company alone from the ground without any help. No government millons here.

lol.. im glad some can see there is no arguement here, im just a guy who thought to look at fellow recyclers for steady loads..
But seems that is very difficult everyone has there own measuring stick?? LOL??
hey No industry standards apply..hey it doesnt work for you cool I put it out there..hey i move on..
but to hear criticism about my loads and mix like you cannot tell the difference as though you cant determine value..is difficult to comprehend.hey i get it, if it were a tactic, this is it, degrade it, decrease price, purchase as cheap as possible! i know it works we all try i guess..im guilty at times when money is low...
But i take all criticsim well sometimes in defence sometimes and with laughter both have their place..
Its still amazing to see everyone is a their very best in trying to be strategic in their purchasing.
which is how it should be!
it is what it is..im not mad...just disapointed and never like it ...which i shouldnt either...LOL

Last edited:
lol.. im glad some can see there is no arguement here, im just a guy who thought to look at fellow recyclers for steady loads..
But seems that is very difficult everyone has there own measuring stick?? LOL??
hey No industry standards apply..hey it doesnt work for you cool I put it out there..hey i move on..
but to hear criticism about my loads and mix like you cannot tell the difference as though you cant determine value..is difficult to comprehend.hey i get it, if it were a tactic, this is it, degrade it, decrease price, purchase as cheap as possible! i know it works we all try i guess..im guilty at times when money is low...
But i take all criticsim well sometimes in defence sometimes and with laughter both have their place..
Its still amazing to see everyone is a their very best in trying to be strategic in their purchasing.
which is how it should be!
it is what it is..im not mad...just disapointed and never like it ...which i shouldnt either...LOL
There are no "list" of correct prices out there.
You have Boardsort and similar that has their prices. With which they make a comfortable profit. (My guess)
And you have Ebay prices with which the sellers sometimes/always make a ludicrous amount of profit.
And all in between.

If you are buying, you buy at the prices you feel you can afford and as cheap as you can get it.
If you sell you sell as high as you can, and preferably at prices that lets you have a profit.
Consistent volume are often the key to actually being able to have an income to let you survive at this.
And also the stumbling block most can't overcome.

"so think about your privledge......"

My "privilege" has been hard work. I started this business with a pair of wire cutters, hammer, and a cheap K-Mart screwdriver set. Thru 30+ years of hard work, I earned my education in how the scrap business works, how to buy, how to sell, how to make new contacts, how to keep business clients happy, how to drive trucks, get a CDL, tear stuff apart, sort scrap, source pallets, boxes, etc., how to do taxes, keep records, drive a forklift, build equipment, and the list goes on and on. Also, I have learned how to do all this and maintain a profit to feed my family.

Do not mistake my years of hard work as "Privilege".

Hello to the writer of this post..
A well written statement of how you are backing up the community!
I agree that is what you do my friend when you can all make money together.
Wish i could have that oppurtunity!

I will say a few things, but it does not pertain to you so please dont take this personally!
I dont want hostile replies just giving my Real opinion...

So Unfortunately when we speak of fairness we have different understandings of whats fair..
That is the problem....For what ive seen in this business its about who will cheat you less than the other guy!
Nobodys fair in this business! never will be one to do it, everyone wants more than his fair share so he can brag about how he built his business taking advantage of people!

Gold does that to people...who in the hell buys scarp and hopes to come out less than double his money?
nooone!! he actually wants to see an amazing profit margin! but does not want to pay the money to get it..
whch is why we get people crying about sorting and 30-50 lbs of weight.. and knowing they will still make extreme profits!
And even at $5lb x 50lbs+ $250.00 this is ridiculous to hold up a 5 figure deal which speaks volumes about the buyer!!

here is what I learned about the business over 20 years ago when researching this guy about recycling boards..
and Dealing with people like The Taggerts in silicon Valley who built an empire doing this..

https://www.recyclingtoday.com/article/ecs-refining-relocating-stockton-stockton/
but I also understand basic math without being a chemist, the value of scrap material is what it is, and the yield will be consistent...

i usually took in basic grade boards to the Taggerts and usually recieved the same results..
I kept my high grade bords and sold to someone else paying higher!

and this is to the newbies also!

heres what i found just doing resesarch following the first guy i saw recycling back in the 2000s...

so i always had an expectation of price regardles of sort as long as they were somewhat sorted..i knew my guy understood the value like i did, if he wanted to be fair..

so on average 2000 lbs. basic average computer motherboards (not high yielding boards )

should yield the following..

8 and 11 troy ounces of 24k gold.........so just the value today is say 9 oz x $1,743.15 oz is $15,688.35
10 to 20 times this amount in silver from the solder and other components (i remeber as high as 30 oz)

so minimum value of 2000lbs. basic motherboards today is roughly worth 16k plus!!

what we cant figurre this out???? is this a secret in this community???

Or you think we dont know or do you want us to believe something else bad or inferior about our loads so they can be down graded by you????

and I learned this information before 2004...
And this is universally known when you get your assay back from the refineries it give you a similiar statement of recovery!
So what else do i need to know really??
nothing!!
just get my cut of what we know will come out of these boards without argument or discussion!!

if there were a fair guy that would be wiling to be honest and do it so wheres your fair guy???

View attachment 51941

Ted Mooney, P.E.
https://www.finishing.com/home/about.shtml
It is a sharp claim that one ton of motherboards get you 8 ozt of gold. Which boards ? Manufacture year, removed or still in place CPUs, manufacturer, heatsinks included/or not... ? Just leave it here as a thought, not meant to disagree with numbers. Only to make point they can vary a LOT.

Now you can flip coin to the other side. Not to say without exactly knowing what you are selling, nobody will do 5 digit transaction to gamble such ammout of money, just based on the your claims.
Processing material like whole PCBs costs A LOT of money per unit of mass. Then comes the separation process of the metals, and these need to be selled in order to get your money back. Buyers of either copper, BM or PMs cut their piece of cake.
Energies needed to pyrolyze and smelt the material nowdays are much more costly than before.
And on the top of all things, there is cost of labor. When you add it all together, to maintain fair prices to attract the sellers, you need to get your operation smoothly running, and you cannot afford to overprice a lot of material that is supposed "to be the best".
And if I would buy mixed lot like this, consisting of bit of everything... You need to be defensive in price setting to be covered in the case it won´t be that good yielding, as it was told by the seller :)

It is a sharp claim that one ton of motherboards get you 8 ozt of gold. Which boards ? Manufacture year, removed or still in place CPUs, manufacturer, heatsinks included/or not... ?
It's worth noting that the quote from Ted Mooney is from 2004. Even within the quote, he mentions that boards from "97 and newer" would probably be lower.

Dave

There is a certain degree of misunderstanding in the quote, by design or intentional, we don't know.
His language don't seem top notch, so it may be misunderstanding.
I can't see any malice but a whole lot of frustration and bitterness.

Edited for clarity

Last edited:
jons007,

I'm far far from being a professional refiner.
I'm doing this for a hobby and gained less than one ounce of gold yet.
But:
Now I must agree kurtak and others:
Your explanations are BS at best!
You are proclaiming that 2000 lbs of midgrade scrap will yield about 9 ounces of 24k gold. So far, so good, but next to this, you're quoting this old article of Ted Mooney in order to prove your numbers. This is so ridiculous dumb!
Surprise: It seems, all of your 'experience' is based on this article from 2004.
Ted is talking about scrap from the late '90 and older. Fingers were plated much thicker, the CPUs were 386, 486, Pentium, PentiumPRO.
At this time, the scrap was covered with gold.
Man wake up! This was 18 years ago.

You're stating, you're in this business for more than 20 years. Could it be, you never updated your numbers about the yield when selling this scrap? Would you buy scrap on this assumption (9ozt/2000lbs) today?

I'm sure, you're trying to sell used large screen rear projection tvs for $1000 as a bargain because they were sold new for $5000.

I'm sure, you have no friends and all members of your family are hating you, because you're trying to fraud everyone you meet.

Without best regards.

One of my issues/red flags personally, was that some of the CPUs were sold and not disclosed while in the middle of a deal.

But lets ignore that with those numbers for a moment, and just use the original.

2000 lbs. split across 5 gaylords= 400 lbs./per gaylord.

400lbs. minus lets say a tote/100 lbs. of tin/steel brackets/plates and extruded aluminum, copper/aluminum heatsinks. That leaves 300lbs. of cleaned board prepped for professional buyers like the above noted companies, myself, and others not mentioned.

300 lbs. prepped material per gaylord x 5 gaylords = 1,500 lbs. of boards.

Using the OPs number of 9 ounces of gold per 2000 lbs. or 0.13995 grams / lb., means his 1,500 lbs. of board contain 6.75 troy ounces of gold.

6.75 troy ounces at Live Metal Spot Price (24hrs) Aug 30, 2022 at 12:25 EST is valued at $11,697.075
Gold Price Per Ounce$ 1,732.9

Now

Lets move on to the 100 lbs. of very mixed CPUs.

Lets be fair, and evenly break down the 100 lbs. in 4 grades, Low .05 gram/per CPU, low/mid .1 gram/per CPU, mid/high .15 Gram/per CPU, and high at .2 Gram/ per CPU.

.05+.1+.15+.2 = .5

.5 divided by 4 grades, to give us the average, is .125 grams/ per CPU.

CPU weights using known CPUs in the mix across 4 grades.
An AMD Aluminum Top CPU (Low grade at $23/lb.) weighs 23 grams per CPU

A Pentium 1 Ceramic (Low/Mid grade at $45/lb.) weighs 36 grams per CPU.

A Pentium Pro Gold Cap (Mid/High grade at $100/lb.) weighs 89 grams per CPU.

And An Intel 486 (High grade at $165/lb.) weighs 24 grams per CPU.

23+36+89+24 = 172 Grams

172 Grams divided by 4 different graded CPU weights gives us an average of 43 grams per CPU.

100 lbs. = 1,600 ounces = 45,359.2 grams.

45,359.2 grams total weight divided by 43 grams per CPU weight = 1,054.86511627907 CPUs which I'll round up to 1,055 CPUs.

1,055 CPUs x An average of .125 grams of gold/per CPU = 131.875 grams = 4.240353697749196 Troy ounces, I'll round up to 4.25 ounces.

4.25 Ounces at $1,732.9/per ounce = $7,364.825

Now

After all that, we can figure that original deal has an estimated 6.75 Ounces (boards) + 4.25 ounces (CPUs) that can be recovered.

6.75 ounces + 4.25 ounces = 11 troy ounces.

11 ounces at $1,732.9/per ounce = $19,061.9

Now

to quote the OP

nooone!!

$19,061.9 divided by 2 = $9,530.95

Of course we can't forget that 25 ounces of silver can we.
Silver Prices Per Ounce$18.93

25 Ounces of Silver at $18.93/per ounce = $473.25

Split that in half too because like the OP said no one buys scrap and hopes to come out less than double their money.

$473.25 divided by 2 = $236.625 which I'll again round up making it $236.63

$236.63 + $9,530.95 = $9,767.58

Wow...........

So I guess that now retracted offer of $10,000 from a certain individual was not only fair, it was more than expected.

Maybe someone else can check the math above.

Back