Getting Ag from AgNO3 using Cu powder

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry Dave i sometimes am guilty of speed reading the forum and i miss things. That's exactly how i do it!
I also don't use reclaimed copper for the process like i do with the stock pots. Only clean copper slabs, but theoretically if you have a copper nitrate solution with contaminants lower than copper in the solution also and you add iron without over doing it to the point of cementing all the copper out then the copper that falls should be of relatively clean purity. At least that's what i've observed. When i take the copper out of my stock pots for using in the upstream stock pots i never wait until the cementing is complete before i draw the first copper off, then the process is completed to finish it off for neutralization. I've never tried it for cementing silver, but i might just do some experimenting to see where it leads me.

It's great to know I came up with a technique that one of the Pros uses!

The idea of doing a partial cementation with iron to avoid all the other possible nasties is interesting too. I suppose the same techniques of adding just a bit of acid to the wash water might be able to be used to clean up the cemented copper as well. Very interesting!

Dave

golddie said:
I have mixed in lye in my scrubber and it smells like pesticide and I dont like it and hrushi said he uses urea to kill the brown fumes and I am wondering if I can use urea in my scrubber and is what is urea is it a safe thing

hrushi
How much urea do you add
In what quantities do you add the urea

Also
we don't have to buy Cu powder we can use Cu powder which we can easily get from CuNO3 which is left with us
Lets say I have copper nitrate solution left over from refining silver how can I make it so that I will be able transform this into powder so it is of acceptable quality
If I just boil it than that wont work if I cement it with another metal like steel that wont work
It would be nice if you can tell me this
Thanks

Urea is fairly innocuous stuff. Often used in cremes for debriding dead skin and softening callouses and such.
You can not use it to scrub however especially in an alkaline environment--it will hydrolyze and turn into ammonia!

Most NOx scrubbers are multiple stage--peroxide first to oxidize NO to NO2 which then gets further oxidized by the peroxide into nitric acid which can be re-used. Very important here to remember to have a mist eliminator to keep metal salts from making it to the peroxide--which will cause it to decompose, perhaps spectacularly. The second and/or third stage is alkali with sulfide, or alkali with a sulfite (BioNox solver, which is GREAT stuff, can't recommend it highly enough).

Lou

Lou said:
Most NOx scrubbers are multiple stage--peroxide first to oxidize NO to NO2 which then gets further oxidized by the peroxide into nitric acid which can be re-used. Very important here to remember to have a mist eliminator to keep metal salts from making it to the peroxide--which will cause it to decompose, perhaps spectacularly. The second and/or third stage is alkali with sulfide, or alkali with a sulfite (BioNox solver, which is GREAT stuff, can't recommend it highly enough).

Lou
Would lime sulfur be ok instead of BioNox (not available anywhere in Europe) [stt]ans[/stt] and I'm still trying to figure out how to make a mist eliminator but I had an idea from a Palladium's post.

Just bumping this old thread because there has been a lot of talk of late about recovering high purity metals using fine copper powder. This thread is a good example.

Thank you for bumping this thread 4metals as I have recently made reference to this thread a couple times in more recent discussions but had been unable to find this thread to provide a link to it

Kurt

Thank you for bumping this thread 4metals as I have recently made reference to this thread a couple times in more recent discussions but had been unable to find this thread to provide a link to it
The only reason I was able to find it was because I remembered discussing (with Chris GSP) what was happening and using the word stoichiometric in the discussion. So I searched that word and it came up. Not a word used often. I have tagged the thread in a way that it will come up when using the word cementation with the special case identifiers that we are working on to identify some threads with special search characters. I hope to get that thread posted soon.

Latest posts

Back