Getting Started

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi,

I have the opportunity to get a large amount of used mobile phones and would like to recover whatever gold there is from them.
I am new to all this and have downloaded the very interesting PDF that you have put together and I am working my way though it, but before my head blows off!. Can someone give me a simple breakdown / method of what i need, to get started and how to get to the end result.

I would really, be grateful if someone could help me out and get me started. For example can I soak the whole PC board our do I have to remove some components? What do I soak the board in? it's this sort of thing I need help with. I am sure someone on this forum has been down the Mobile Phone route in search of Gold.

Any help would be a great help.

I think that soaking whole board in anything will be not good for you... also dismantling phones and depopulating boards is time consuming. maybe ebay? or if you want to process them then probably or what Ill do is depopulate boards then incinerating and then some recovery process...

You would be best served to read posts by Lazersteve, and follow his links to demos of various types of processes. He has specialized in processing e scrap by applying commonly available supplies.

I also recommend you obtain a copy of Hoke's book, which will help you understand the principles of gold processing, along with teaching you methods of testing for values, and making test solutions. Once you understand what her book teaches, you'll be able to make decisions about how various items should be processed.

Do not expect to learn everything you must know in a few days. It is a long, hard process to gain the necessary knowledge that will enable you to be comfortable at extraction and refining.

Welcome to the forum!

Harold

Hey

Cell phones are considered high grade e scrap, But I wouldnt recommend this material for hobby refining. IMO your better off, sending this to Engelhard Sales (UK) for refining. If you want to play around with Au recovery, I suggest you get CPUs, Au plated Pins and other high grade stuff, that doesnt have as much waste and is easier to recover small scale.

good luck, and all the best

Thanks all, I thought this was a shore winner. But if it's going to be a nightmare, I think I will look for other stuff to try.

Latest posts

Back