Getting the gold plate copper from between layers of fibergl

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2.5 ounces (gross) of connectors yielded 3.3 grams of pure au
the highest yield of any material i have processed
but goes to show that companies do in fact waste gold and money many times with no reason
just look at the u.s. government and what they waste money on and you will realize that
gold is where you find it reguardless of where it should or should not be

Enigma said:

The yield is 0.165 g per unit for 20 units. Since they are Al your starting weight was very low, while the surface area is high, that explains the disproportionate yields. By comparison a single Pentium Pro contains twice the gold per unit of scrap, but weighs many times more per single unit (around 90 grams each).

If they were copper based they would have weighed:

8.94 / 2.7 = 3.31 (Density of Cu / Density of Al)

3.31 x 70.94 = ~ 235 g (Density ratio x gross weight in grams)

Still a very high yield to weight ratio!

What type of connectors did these jewels come off of?

Steve

lazersteve said:
Enigma said:

The yield is 0.165 g per unit for 20 units. Since they are Al your starting weight was very low, while the surface area is high, that explains the disproportionate yields. By comparison a single Pentium Pro contains twice the gold per unit of scrap, but weighs many times more per single unit (around 90 grams each).

If they were copper based they would have weighed:

8.94 / 2.7 = 3.31 (Density of Cu / Density of Al)

3.31 x 70.94 = ~ 235 g (Density ratio x gross weight in grams)

Still a very high yield to weight ratio!

What type of connectors did these jewels come off of?

Steve

It is for military, aerospace industry.

List price 178.15 ea.

Called an ITT connon connector

There ITT Brand connectore with a 4 didgit code 8513, possibly 1985 1st week of April going by the date code. Yield of 20.8g/lb of material.

Foils from connector.jpg

Pictures153.jpg

Ok if someone would be kind enough to tell me how to UPload a picture I have some interesting news on the topic of metal in side of boards

Trustworthysole3 said:
Ok if someone would be kind enough to tell me how to UPload a picture I have some interesting news on the topic of metal in side of boards

When you reply to a message at the bottom of the reply screen the is an area to upload a file.

Click on browse
high light the file
Click return
Click upload file on next screen
on the next screen there is a button to place the file on line, put your cursuor in the message where you want the file and click place file online.
the file name will appear in the message and it is set, hit the submit button and you are done.

Trustworthysole3 said:
Trash or not

Your neighbors must love having you live next door, this type of incineration should not be condoned or promoted on this site. Shame on you.

I suppose that your children will have a weenie roast in that fire pit next weekend. Be sure to eat your fill.

I am working on a different approach for exactly the reasons you stated. The fire pit is for trash only and I am in rural area, so the neighbors are ok with it. I do agree another way must be found and I am working on it. Thanks

How to Dissolve Fiberglass
ds_larrypa2123 Contributor
By Larry Parr, eHow Contributing Writer
Article Rating: (0 Ratings)

Fiberglass is used in a wide range of products, from shower stalls to gas tanks and car bodies. Knowing how to dissolve fiberglass is important as well as knowing how to prevent a fiberglass product from being destroyed. Fiberglass is made from actual fibers of glass mixed with a resin binding agent. Dissolving fiberglass involves dissolving the resins and binding agents and not the glass particles themselves. Once the resin and other binding agents are dissolved the fiberglass itself fails.
Difficulty: Moderately Easy
Instructions
Things You'll Need:

* Sander
* Denatured alcohol (99%)
* Metal tank
* Gloves
* Eye protection
* Breathing mask

Step 1

Sand the surface of your fiberglass to remove any protective gel coating. A quick sanding with 100-grit paper will be sufficient. Wear a breathing mask, eye protection, gloves and long sleeves when sanding fiberglass.
Step 2

Place the sanded fiberglass in a metal tank.
Step 3

Cover the fiberglass with denatured alcohol. Buy the highest percentage of ethanol you can. The highest grade sold is 99% ethanol.
Step 4

Cover the metal tank and allow the fiberglass to soak in the ethanol for 24 hours. If the fiberglass has not disintegrated after 24 hours empty the tank and fill it with fresh denatured alcohol. Allow the fiberglass to soak for an additional 24 hours.

Also of interest on the subject matter:
http://www.kbklawyers.com/news/latimes_boater.pdf
http://newboatbuilders.com/docs/Ethanol.pdf

Trustworthysole3 said:
How to Dissolve Fiberglass
ds_larrypa2123 Contributor
By Larry Parr, eHow Contributing Writer
Article Rating: (0 Ratings)

Fiberglass is used in a wide range of products, from shower stalls to gas tanks and car bodies. Knowing how to dissolve fiberglass is important as well as knowing how to prevent a fiberglass product from being destroyed. Fiberglass is made from actual fibers of glass mixed with a resin binding agent. Dissolving fiberglass involves dissolving the resins and binding agents and not the glass particles themselves. Once the resin and other binding agents are dissolved the fiberglass itself fails.
Difficulty: Moderately Easy
Instructions
Things You'll Need:

* Sander
* Denatured alcohol (99%)
* Metal tank
* Gloves
* Eye protection
* Breathing mask

Step 1

Sand the surface of your fiberglass to remove any protective gel coating. A quick sanding with 100-grit paper will be sufficient. Wear a breathing mask, eye protection, gloves and long sleeves when sanding fiberglass.
Step 2

Place the sanded fiberglass in a metal tank.
Step 3

Cover the fiberglass with denatured alcohol. Buy the highest percentage of ethanol you can. The highest grade sold is 99% ethanol.
Step 4

Cover the metal tank and allow the fiberglass to soak in the ethanol for 24 hours. If the fiberglass has not disintegrated after 24 hours empty the tank and fill it with fresh denatured alcohol. Allow the fiberglass to soak for an additional 24 hours.

Also of interest on the subject matter:
http://www.kbklawyers.com/news/latimes_boater.pdf
http://newboatbuilders.com/docs/Ethanol.pdf

Have you checked the cost of this to see if it is cost effective?

Trustworthysole3 said:
The above theory does not work on boards don't waist you time.

I am not trying to bust your baloon but I have worked with fiberglass off and on for a few years and I don't know of anything that is going to be cost effective to disolve the fiberlass bonding agent.

I as well have worked composites in the aircraft industry for many years when I was not doing Avionics. I have found several ways to do this task but I am not sure if it is worth while. Burning is the only thing that seemed to be cost effective but due to prior responses I am not even going to suggest it. I have now got options that I think are as effective but I am not done testing yet.

the word is "cost" as in cost effective .good try thow. and very informative for the newbees on what not to do.

$6.72 at Ace for all I need to do several pounds of this stuff that I am averaging from 1-3 grams per pound of metal processed so if the COST is too high then leave me all of these boards please.

Latest posts

Back