Give me a problem to solve...

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rachello said:
Here is another for you to solve...I have two boys & one girl. It's late @ night & I decide to level the playing field. What is the most probable solution to my problem....lol :lol:

R.

A D6 Bulldozer

Rachello said:
Platdigger said:
Well, to you brothers and sister one: 4 boys and 3 girls.

You have to love the riddle-me-nots! Kudo's to you!

Here is another for you to solve...I have two boys & one girl. It's late @ night & I decide to level the playing field. What is the most probable solution to my problem....lol :lol:

R.

I think that bumping off one of the buys is a tad harsh.

miroman said:
99 wolves and a sheep are on the meadow.
Every wolf wants to eat the sheep, but when a wolf eats the sheep, it itself turns into a sheep. Which (of course) doesn't want to be eaten.
If we assume that wolves know that, also they can think logically and count, will the sheep be eaten?

Yes. But not by the wolves. The last wolf will become a sheep that most probably will be eaten by the farmer. The wolfs understands this and di di before they get shot.

Ive got a couple of problems maybe you could help me with! I could really use some help with the whole AR process. i have a variety of pins and pieces all separated and i need to know how to figure out what the base metal is and what i can process together and what must be processed separately. I also need to know measurements for everything needed for the AR path. This is my first time and i have all chemicals except for sulfuric acid. can i process without it? i have read a ton and watched videos and done my best to educate myself but for some reason my brain is an asshole sometimes and needs a plain and simple kind of instruction. I'm sorry if this isnt really the kind of problem you were wanting to solve or maybe i just threw a bunch your way lol but any help would be sooooooo appreciated!

hello my name is joshua and i have a problem i dare you to solve .
unknown ore
test 1 sent to lienfield university
responce from lab
alien send nasa
my responce
they must be joking
test 2
took it too a machinest /welder / steel fabricator
responce was tried every way possiable to melt your unknown stone could not get it done..
test 3 i was buying a guitar and figured it couldnt hurt to ask
edge exchange ( mcminnville oregon ) 24 kt acid test
if he had to guess he would solid platinum (or) rhodium ore
either way the acid rolled off like it was water he said he had never seen any thing like it ..

facts i mined these ores on private property and they where originaly dark grey to dusty black color . because of my free time threw out my days of fighting cancer i decided to grind some of my collection when i grinded these they turned shinnier they are very heavy not magnetic but have a strong magnetic pull they hold some kind of energy that is very weird in it self because when u heat it up then put it buy one not heat it gets very cold very fast . i put it on a ice and it melted threw the ice like it was a cole only it wasnt heated up ... i did a area test by weighing it solid then by weighing it suspindid in water did the math then google it then did three more trys all stating it was solid white gold so what is it .. please n thank you

Rachello wrote: ↑February 7th, 2019, 1:49 am
Platdigger wrote: ↑February 7th, 2019, 12:34 am
Well, to you brothers and sister one: 4 boys and 3 girls.
You have to love the riddle-me-nots! Kudo's to you!

R.
I think that bumping off one of the buys is a tad harsh.

HA!!! :eek: LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: I was thinking I might just get jiggy with it! :wink: but I guess the outcome of those odds are still 50/50! :D

Rachel

Do you know anyone that would be interested in re-finding gold rings a gold pen bar In some cell phone scrap for me

Hello, New to this forum...actually came here because of a problem I am having that has now turned into a ungold nightmare..

Separated gold foils from ram fingers using HydoClor acid/peroxide solution... Separated great, filtered out foils and cleaned them with Dist water several times.

Then used hydroClor acid and covered the foils with an inch of headway in beaker... Let stand for 1 hour, then added 5 ml bleach every 10 mins till all foils we're dissolved...
Once dissolved... I let stand and covers for 48 hours to make sure nothing settled.. After confirming no settling... I began adding 1/8 teaspoon of SMB every 30 seconds reaching 1.5 total teaspoons. Reaction takes place slowly... Hours..
Afterwards... The settling is very very fine powder which makes it impossible to pour off solution..
Cannot filter because the fine dust also goes through filter...
11 times I get the same results and can find zero information online..
Any help would be wonderful. Thank you.

How much ram fingers did you run in each batch? How big beaker did you use?

Göran

Kyresearcher said:
Hello, New to this forum...actually came here because of a problem I am having that has now turned into a ungold nightmare..

Separated gold foils from ram fingers using HydoClor acid/peroxide solution... Separated great, filtered out foils and cleaned them with Dist water several times.

Then used hydroClor acid and covered the foils with an inch of headway in beaker... Let stand for 1 hour, then added 5 ml bleach every 10 mins till all foils we're dissolved...
Once dissolved... I let stand and covers for 48 hours to make sure nothing settled.. After confirming no settling... I began adding 1/8 teaspoon of SMB every 30 seconds reaching 1.5 total teaspoons. Reaction takes place slowly... Hours..
Afterwards... The settling is very very fine powder which makes it impossible to pour off solution..
Cannot filter because the fine dust also goes through filter...
11 times I get the same results and can find zero information online..
Any help would be wonderful. Thank you.

One pound of fingers could yield 1.5 grams of gold to over 3 grams of gold depending
on the type of fingers that you were processing. You added a lot of SMB based upon the
amount of gold that you might expect to yield. I normally have added a gram of SMB
for every gram of gold expected plus some more to be sure that all the gold in your
solution was dropped.

The "fine dust" that you are seeing that has precipitated out is probably your little
bit of gold plus the residual SMB that you added. You don't filter this "fine dust" you
wash it using the gold washing methods that are shown here on the forum. I have
used Harold's method for years and it works well for me. Kurtak also has a gold
washing method on the forum which as I have also used with success.

Here is Harold's gold washing method:

Harold's wash procedure
=================.

1. After precipitating the gold with SMB, test for gold in solution with stannous chloride, if present (purple swab) add more SMB until test is negative.
2. Let the gold powder settle to the bottom of the beaker over night.
3. Siphon or gently pour off the used SMB solution into an old milk jug labeled Used SMB. Save in your stock pot or properly dispose of.
4. The gold powder stays in the same beaker you precipitated it in.
5. Add just enough water to cover the gold powder and boil for 5 minutes (Removes undissolved and water soluble salts)
6. Let settle and pour or siphon off the water into the stock pot.
7. Repeat three times.
8. Add just enough muriatic acid to cover the gold powder.
9. Boil until the acid is no longer discolored by the process and pour or siphon off into the stock pot after testing with stannous. If gold is present keep in separate beaker to precipitate later.
10. Repeat the water rinse as above.
11. If you suspect silver is present as a contamination, repeat the process with hot 3% household ammonium hydroxide (unscented- clear). Put these rinses in a separate container and add muriatic acid until no more white silver chloride precipitates. You have added enough HCl when there are no more white fumes coming out of the liquid. Any karat, dental, cpu lid, or gold filled scrap will have silver as a contaminate.
12. Finish up the rinses with three more hot water rinses. Put these rinses in with the ammonium hydroxide rinses.
13. Gently heat the beaker containing the gold powder while swirling the beaker. As the gold dries it will begin to clump and move around the beaker freely. Don't allow the gold to stick to the beaker.
14. When the gold is 100% dry it should be a nice light tan color, if not redissolve it and precipitate again with SMB. Repeating the above cleaning process after precipitation. Good clean gold settles very quickly when precipitated and clumps into nice balls when dried. No gold should be stuck to the beaker when you are done.
15. When completed transfer the gold to a properly prepared melting dish and melt into a button.

Good luck! You are doing good so far! :G

Thanks for replying... That walk through seems to be exactly why I needed, I will get into redissolving again in the morning...
On another note.. I started a small batch....like a test batch, to make sure I would be capable of recovering safely before I started the larger batch... But I dissolved foils recovered from about 5 ounces of midgrade fingers, and once dissolved... My batch actually came out slightly greenish..

So I was wondering as I cannot seem to find anything similar on the web, is it OK that its green? Or is that a sign of copper in solution along with the gold? I'm thinking copper which i s why I left it set as it is and haven't touched it...
Can you give any info on that?
Thanks in advance...

BTW... I used half a liter of HLC, and 1/3 cup of Hydrogen Peroxide to remove the foils, and cleaned them, then half liter of HLC and 1.5ml bleach to dissolve...have me a greenish solution... Gold is in solution.

I believe that you mean HCL and not HLC. :)

I am a visual learner and one of the best ways that I learned how to process
the hundreds of pounds of gold fingers that I have processed was by watching
an old time forum member here lazersteve's videos on the AP process. They
can still be viewed on his website:

http://www.goldrecovery.us/

You will have to login to view them but the login and password are right there
on the main page.

Once the foils are released from the boards, he shows a simple method for
washing the foils before they are dissolved. Once I began using that method,
I always have a nice yellow auric chloride solution when my foils are dissolved
using the HCL / bleach for putting the gold into solution.

I highly recommend that you watch all four of his AP videos. You will learn much.

Good luck!

Is there anything that can be done to help settle the tiny particles I have nice tan percipitates settled but seems to be some still suspended in the solution

bengie84 said:
Is there anything that can be done to help settle the tiny particles I have nice tan percipitates settled but seems to be some still suspended in the solution

Heat it through- not a hard boil but a simmer. Then let it settle - time is your friend. Leave it overnight or even a couple of days.

I believe I figured out my issue the glass Pyrex jug is my problem as the walls aren’t vertical but a gradual decline making the gold dust stick to the sides

So what would be my best approach now??
Thanks in advance to all you yodas of refining

Back