Gold content of different RAM types

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks a lot all :)

Sorry spaceships, but I didn't understand what do you mean by "The weight per Kg of laptop RAM in board is less than the weight per Kg of PC RAM"

However, Now I do understand that good results depend on the the quantity processed.

And for larger batches, the yields is better than that for small ones.

But now assume we have the same quantity of laptop RAMs and PC RAMs and let's say 2kgs per each type.

So should I expect more gold out of laptop RAMs or PC RAMs or both will give almost the same results.

This would help me for quotation

solar_plasma said:
I didn't want to say Jon isn't right. I am sure in his setting with his material he is right. I had only wanted to say, what I in my setting would expect from a batch like yours. Small quantities will cause greater losses and will have a greater spreading regarding the yield results.

I do mostly agree Solar, however if you have the same percentage loss from 2Kg of PC RAM as from 2Kg of laptop RAM your yield overall should be higher from the laptop memory.

Great .. thanks a lot ALL .. it's really a great forum with great members :lol:

So now, it's confirmed that assuming same losses and same quantity, then laptop RAMs yield should be higher than PC RAMs 8)

But do any one have an estimate % for the difference assuming same conditions ?

Hello ALL,

Hope you are all doing well.

I'm about to buy memory sticks (RAMs) for gold refining and I need your help about different RAM types and associated gold content of each type so that I would be able to buy the RAMs for a good price.

Also what is the difference between ECC and Non-ECC RAMs in terms of gold content.

Appreciate your reply.

Ahmad Bayoumi
Hi Ahmad,

Sorry this is likely LATE for ya but here it is:

This is referencing Desktop RAM ONLY as in the early days Laptop RAM was NOT YET STANDARDIZED, Many laptops had proprietary and permanently soldiered modules that DID NOT CONTAIN GOLD due to its permanent mounting, but laptop RAM in GENERAL has less GOLD than Desktop RAM just due from size differance alone...

ECC = Error Correction & Control *ECC Ram is "Generally found in servers and high-end Business Machines... It has a Higher cost to purchase but Data is much safer (from becoming truncated or corrupted) on an ECC machine... But Due to its data correction process, the RAM is SLOW by nature, So this type of RAM (ECC) is NOT WANTED or USED by most Home PCs and Gaming Machines

The below is in order and starting with NO GOLD EDO THE RAM discussed below contains more and more gold as more pins and both sides of the memory stick progress the more gold there is... Sorry there is NO Basic amount that can be given due to variations of sticks produced by manufactures

EDO
Starting with the old 8088, 286, 386, and 486 class (before Pentium CPU) A type of RAM called EDO (Extended Data Out) was used, the RAM was single density, A physically shorter stick, with bigger but less in total pin connections... MANY of the EDO Sticks DID NOT CONTAIN ANY GOLD instead silver and silver alloys were used. EDO can still be found in devices like phone systems, and soda machines due to it's long-term dependability and LOW cost...

PC-100, PC-133 SDRAM
With the beginning of the Pentium machines, A faster RAM was developed, known as SD RAM (Single Density) the PC-100 and PC-133 RAM Sticks hit the market. (Note the 100 and 133 referred to the mainboard internal bus speed.

RAM-BUS 400, 800
It was really an "Experiment", and NOT a whole lot of machines were Ram-Bus, but if you were lucky enough to have one you probably really liked the machine, everyone I owned or even used was a FAST SMOOTH RAM-BUS MACHINE Note The MainBoard was a special board, and the cost was very high, most Ram-Bus machines we a business class machine, most made by HP/Compaq, Dell, Gateway, and a small number of Asus Gaming machines were made...

DDR
Double Density, (double-sided too) RAM In Short this IS the current "Ram Family" in use today (we're are at the late DDR4 early DDR5 stage in life) The DDR is a huge leap in speed over the SD RAM and many ways of using DDR were developed to instantly double the DDR's already fast speed (Parallel RAM, RAID-0, and Concatenation Spanning) Basically the DDR FAMILY (DDR1 through DDR4) have the most number of pins and likely contain the most GOLD...

Hi Ahmad,

This is referencing Desktop RAM ONLY as in the early days Laptop RAM was NOT YET STANDARDIZED, Many laptops had proprietary and permanently soldiered modules that DID NOT CONTAIN GOLD due to its permanent mounting, but laptop RAM in GENERAL has less GOLD than Desktop RAM just due from size differance alone...

ECC = Error Correction & Control *ECC Ram is "Generally found in servers and high-end Business Machines... It has a Higher cost to purchase but Data is much safer (from becoming truncated or corrupted) on an ECC machine... But Due to its data correction process, the RAM is SLOW by nature, So this type of RAM (ECC) is NOT WANTED or USED by most Home PCs and Gaming Machines

The below is in order and starting with NO GOLD EDO THE RAM discussed below contains more and more gold as more pins and both sides of the memory stick progress the more gold there is... Sorry there is NO Basic amount that can be given due to variations of sticks produced by manufactures

EDO
Starting with the old 8088, 286, 386, and 486 class (before Pentium CPU) A type of RAM called EDO (Extended Data Out) was used, the RAM was single density, A physically shorter stick, with bigger but less in total pin connections... MANY of the EDO Sticks DID NOT CONTAIN ANY GOLD instead silver and silver alloys were used. EDO can still be found in devices like phone systems, and soda machines due to it's long-term dependability and LOW cost...

PC-100, PC-133 SDRAM
With the beginning of the Pentium machines, A faster RAM was developed, known as SD RAM (Single Density) the PC-100 and PC-133 RAM Sticks hit the market. (Note the 100 and 133 referred to the mainboard internal bus speed.

RAM-BUS 400, 800
It was really an "Experiment", and NOT a whole lot of machines were Ram-Bus, but if you were lucky enough to have one you probably really liked the machine, everyone I owned or even used was a FAST SMOOTH RAM-BUS MACHINE Note The MainBoard was a special board, and the cost was very high, most Ram-Bus machines we a business class machine, most made by HP/Compaq, Dell, Gateway, and a small number of Asus Gaming machines were made...

DDR
Double Density, (double-sided too) RAM In Short this IS the current "Ram Family" in use today (we're are at the late DDR4 early DDR5 stage in life) The DDR is a huge leap in speed over the SD RAM and many ways of using DDR were developed to instantly double the DDR's already fast speed (Parallel RAM, RAID-0, and Concatenation Spanning) Basically the DDR FAMILY (DDR1 through DDR4) have the most number of pins and likely contain the most GOLD...
Welcome to us.

Hi Ahmad,

EDO

PC-100, PC-133 SDRAM

RAM-BUS 400, 800

DDR
Most of the Gold on ram sticks are inside the ram chips themselves, not on the pins/fingers.
But as everything else in life there may be exceptions.

Latest posts

Back