gold filled,tin and silver chloride

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a shot of the gold filled pin with lead as the base metal.

If I had not incinerated BEFORE dissolving in nitric, then this would have ended up in my batch of gold filled scrap.

To me, this is one of the most important reasons for incinerating.

A person can tell much about a piece of metal by the way it heats up and how it reacts to the flame.

I'll save this for later experiments on seperating lead from gold.

kadriver

Attachments

• P1230336.jpg
    P1230336.jpg
    492.3 KB
  • P1230335.jpg
    P1230335.jpg
    533.9 KB
The yield from the 500 grams of gold filled scrap was higher than I expected.

18.6 grams of fine gold. I had to re-do my calculations to make sure that was right. That is about 3.66 grams of pure gold per 100 grams of gold filled scrap.

I mixed the gold filled scrap in with several other batches of karat scrap because I used oxalic acid to do a second refining on all the gold I was working on.

Here is the final shot of the fine gold.

I have not melted it into a bar yet, this was only my second time using oxalic acid to precipitate the gold.

The total weight of gold in the dish is 47 grams.

kadriver

Attachments

• P1230349.jpg
    P1230349.jpg
    834.8 KB
That looks great kadriver. 47 grams of fine gold powders sure do look nice in a white dish like that.

That dish kinda puts it right up their with Harold's bowl of corn flakes in the powdered form.
Maybe we should all use a white dish or background for our photos as it sure do seem to bring out the quality.

Nice work, will be looking forward to the final bar.

Thanks for clarifying my questions earlier.
I understand your reuse of the same filter as you do.

I often reuse the same cotton ball
( undisturbed ) shoved in the neck of a funnel to do the same thing. Very slow ( not allot of surface area ) but very thorough too. It works, and I got plenty of time.

Ray

Here is the bar from this lot (it includes the gold filled and some other karat scrap gold I threw in to make one big batch).

The two beads are from the same batch, I melted them seperately and save these for myself - about .8 grmas each.

I turned the bar in to the refiner on Monday and they assayed it at 99.93%

kadriver

Attachments

• P1230352.jpg
    P1230352.jpg
    398.3 KB

Latest posts

Back