Gold not dropping with smb

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yvonbug said:
can Sodium Sulfite go bad? Even when stored in an airtight container?

shelf life varies depending on environment in a cool dry area in an airtight container up to 12 months or longer but dont trust the results after 18 months, in conditions less favorable 6-9 months at the most.

OK. That's probably my problem. All I have left right now is a little container, airtight, that is around 2 years old. I plan on ordering a new bottle of SS on Tuesday, but I needed the gold to sell so I could get it. Gee, my very own little catch 22. Another question. My hubby did in fact run off with my roll of lead free solder. But he has some "silver bearing lead free solder" that I can use. I don't remember if mine said "silver bearing". Would that effect the testing? Does it make any difference? I've never noticed it saying that on the label.

yvonbug, if you want to private message me your mailing address, I will send you a sample of some 99%+ tin powder. You can use it to make some Stannous for testing, but don't tell everyone that I just gave it to you as I don't have a lot to give away. :)

if you use silver bearing solder it shouldn't alter the testing ability. as a matter of fact im using a two pound roll of high content silver solder to make my test solution. after dissolving it leaves the silver as a black powder. i was going to process the solder for the silver anyway so this is getting some extra usage out of it. :lol:

Well, I had good intentions but it seems that Tin powder is on your states list of hazardous materials, so I won't be able to mail it to you. If you can figure out a way of receiving it without breaking any laws, let me know. The laws in some states are too strict these days. :|

Well, Geo says the silvers OK, so I'll use it. I can get tin solder, that's what I had that my hubby borrowed. I just noticed for the 1st time that it comes with silver, too. Now, all I need, apparently, is fresh SS. Which I should get on Tuesday. So I'll just cap everything till then. Thanks for letting me butt in! :lol: Everybody's been great! -Yvonbug-

PS I'll let you all know how it goes after Tuesday.

arthur kierski said:
when gold is dificult to drop with smb,i add a small quantity of naoh and stirr the solution until it darkens(mantaining the ph acid)-------with me always works---
Arthur

It seems like NaOH did the trick in order of dropping, but when I stir NaOH balls, almost all black powder disappears again :(

Do you have any idea, how many grams of NaOH I should use comparing to expected gold amount ?

Latest posts

Back