Gold Surface Plate Vs. Gold Substrate???

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fever

And.... The best method to refine?

Below are a set of photos I took of some of my "naked" memory and cell phone circuit boards. My questions are these, and Steve, perhaps you can best answer this:

1. In the first picture, you see a memory module with gold fingers and no other apparent gold on the chip surface. I will only harvest the gold fingers on this module, because there is no indication of any gold races under the surface of the sealant. They will be cut clean with a bandsaw. Makes sense, right?

2. In the second picture, you see a memory module with gold fingers and lots of other exposed areas with gold on the surface. I will not cut these fingers off, because I suspect that the entire substrate races of this module may be gold plated, as apparently evidenced by the large amount of gold across the surface. My plan is to process this module whole in the acid bath, and harvest the gold flake after the base metals are digested. Makes sense, or am I far too optimistic that there is more gold here (sub-surface) than meets the eye?

3. In the third picture, you see a couple of cell phone circuit boards quite rich in gold across most of the surface. I also will not cut these gold plated areas off of these boards because I suspect that their entire substrate races may also be gold plated. I could process these whole as well, and harvest the remaining gold flakes after the base metals have dissolved into solution.

I have scratched through the surface sealant above the races of many of these boards, and some are clearly copper underneath, while others seem to shine golden just like the exposed gold plated areas. I view them through a low-power microscope for definition and a clearer visual.

So, is it uncommon to have the races completely plated in gold, even if they only exposed the contact points during the sealing of the surface? The older the boards are, the more likely they are plated across the entire surface right?

Thanks for any clarification and education......

Fever

Attachments

• cellphone.jpg
    cellphone.jpg
    88.6 KB
  • goldsubtrate.jpg
    goldsubtrate.jpg
    52.7 KB
  • nongoldsubstrate.jpg
    nongoldsubstrate.jpg
    53.9 KB
Fever,

Here are your anwers:

1). Yes. I would cut the edge off and process the fingers, 5# of fingers per batch.
NOTE: The lands under the solder spots are lightly gold plated as in your second photo. When using a band saw it is wise to wash the fingers in water before putting them in the bath to remove the fine dust from the saw.

2) If the module has any components on it they will end up in your gold flake and have to be fished out in the end.. (G.I.G.O.) The lands are so lightly plated that you can mix up a peroxide acid bath and use a toothbrush to gently buff it off. You will end up with a VERY minute amount of ULTRA FINE gold powder. If you do not filter the bath for a day or so, this powdered gold will become dissolved into the bath. You can remove the finger plating with this same technique if you let them soak for 30 minutes or so first. It's very tedious to do on the fingers due to the shear numbers of fingers involved.

3) The gold on these boards is very thin. Treat the boards as mentioned in answer 2 above and you will be shocked at the results. They strip in little to no time at all. After a few minutes soak the mix and toothbrush will make short order of the boards gold plate.

It's worth mentioning here that as the acid bath darkens it looses it's bite. Keep it clear green with peroxide and it will strip this stuff very easily. A 'side affect' of the additional peroxide is a faster attack on the powdered gold so don't over do it unless you want the gold in solution.

It's not uncommon for entire traces to be gold plated, but it is only found in certain items. All sorts of cards can have gold plated traces from older ISA cards to newer PCI modens and network cards, also lots of 30 pin SIMMS. The best plated traces I seen were on a large batch of HP boards that I bought. They stripped like quality fingers across the entire surface.
These traces are sometimes hidden under a layer of thin enamel.

Another member has mentioned a technique to remove this enamel.

Here's the link:

http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=1214

Cheers,

Steve

Back