Gold tipped ribbon cables and gold on mylars

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Off the top of my head …..

I would add an aquarium air pump, smallest or cheapest I could find. Use a container large enough to have good head room in case it try’s to foam up and to hold any splashes from the bursting bubbles. I use watch glasses personally. Or sit the whole thing in a large bucket. The air pump will give you a steady supply of oxidizer and allow your copper(II)chloride to work better. If the solution is real dark or brown add some hydrochloric to it. If after four days I still had foils floating test with stannous chloride, if negative, filter and add filter and all contents to AR. If positive, making very small additions, add nitric and dissolve everything completely. Personally I use sulfamic acid to denox, other methods work as well. In this “dirty” solution I prefer to use copperas to drop with. Copperas will have less drag down of contaminants than smb. Make the drop, if it turns dark, almost black, let it sit until it is has no cloudiness at all. Gently Siphon or decant the liquid without disturbing the settled powders. Wash the powders until no signs of acids or discoloration remains. You should now be ready to start your refine process. Start by adding the contents from either process to AR…..

No need to wash if you have the filter left. Run it in AR and use the pulp to increase the filters ability to hold the contaminants once you reach that point.

Hope that makes sense.
Thank you, that is very good and clear advice for me, today I bought a small pump and tomorrow I will start. I have to read everything again and visualize all these steps, It is hard to find supplies at reasonable price here, even copperas is hard to find.

Yes, as long as there is copper or other base metals in the solution the gold will cement out.
The H2O2 will degrade and you can continue dissolving more gold plated material.
Just let the solution settle and decant and filter the powder.

"H2O2 with HCl can dissolve gold. Dissolved gold will cement out on base metals." This means that if gold dissolves in HCL Peroxide solution the copper in the solution will precipitate the gold back out of the solution?
Yes. Filter the gold powder out with the foils.
The H2O2 will degrade fast.

If you have a negative test with stannous chloride of your coppper(ll)chloride, after a few days of running the air pump, then filter the entire solution until you catch all the powders and odd bits. This filtered material, filter and powder’s, can be ran in AR with out the washing steps. This keeps the waste solution from growing so much. Less waste to clean up. The filter will break down in the AR into the fibers from the paper, which aids in filtering finer particles. This can keep from needing to filter solutions multiply times. The captured fibers will require a bit more washing to rinse your gold bearing AR out though.

When using a air pump for fish tanks your going to want a piece of the hard plastic tubing for the end of the supply line, say 16 inches long. This pipe with then allow you to get the air stream to the bottom of your containment unit, also allows for maximum up flow, oxygen contact and can be used for light stirring.

You can not use a air stone to hold the tubing down like you do in a fish tank, as it with come apart in the acid and your only going to make a mess doing so.

You can make a custom air diffuser by heating a long section of this tube and bending(slowly) it 90 degrees and then heat a pin and make tiny holes in the bottom bent section. Heat and then pinch the end closed, allowing less air out the open end. This will give you a wide bubbling area and if your pump can provide the needed air , producing faster results as more oxygen contact is made and more agitation of the solution.

Hello. Has anyone figured out an easy way to recover the gold from computer and monitor cables/mylars lije this?
View attachment 46376

I was thinking AP would take a long time because the boards from monitors take a lot longer in AP than RAM fingers and pins.

Maybe HCl + Bleach?
Hey,
I did like 400g of these with Hcl/Peroxide and dissolved the foils i bleach afterwards. I didnt saw any diffrence to the RAM finger process.
It worked just fine for me. Same process as RAM fingers. Yiels was pretty low from those.
David

I have a batch running for 25 days and for the past 3 days I added a bubbler. It depends on the specific material you have, even each piece of memory is different, then is the concentration of acid, concentration of AP, temperature, etc. Any of these variable could make it longer or less time. After I added teh bubbler the temperature outside increased considerably. I start by expecting a long time with AP.

Thank you, that is very good and clear advice for me, today I bought a small pump and tomorrow I will start. I have to read everything again and visualize all these steps, It is hard to find supplies at reasonable price here, even copperas is hard to find.
Hi, it has been 4 days now with the air bubbler, the most dramatic change has been in the last day, seems like all the fingers are gone from their support and the solution is dark, until day 3 the solution was mostly green. I guess I should leave it one more day and then filter?

Hello dpgold. I wish I would have posted this yesterday, but my phone wouldn't sync up with my pc and I couldn't import any pictures. I'm afraid I should have said something right after I read your post though, just so you wouldn't make the same mistake I did. I tried to make modifications to my bubbler hose in an attempt to increase dissolution of air into solution, as well as better anchor the hose at the bottom. I constructed the "halo", as I called it, and it failed miserably and stole my gold :(

It turns out, the acid-peroxide solution will also dissolve other things, including whatever my three-way hose adapter was made out of. I don't know if it was PVC or nylon, but I think I read on the forum that nylon will dissolve in either HCL or clc2.

I saved the remnants in hopes of recovering the gold in the future, and I'm happy to share the failure in case it can help anyone else in the future. If you used little, black, barbed fittings we might be in the same boat. I'm sure the keys to unlocking the gold are in the pages of the forum, and I'll do that research when I'm ready. I'm guessing there may be incineration involved.

Good Luck!
mike

Attachments

• 20220503_054556.jpg
    20220503_054556.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 20
  • 20220503_054538.jpg
    20220503_054538.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
If any gold got dissolved in AP, just add more copper to dissolve. It will cement out the gold. Collect as powder with the foils.

I guess PolyVinylChloride does not like Hydrogen Chloride. Go for the SS nut!

Dark AP does not dissolve copper. It has become cuprous chloride. You need cupric chloride to dissolve copper.
Read back and read again. Then read again and read the following thread:
https://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=28521And how did your experiment with one or a couple of fingers turn out? What did you learn from that? If i may ask.

Martijn.
Edited: no content change made

Last edited:
Try to find out how to convert CuCl1 to CuCl2. That should explain alot.
Edited: Removed bad link.

Attachments

• cupric chloride etch.pdf
    983.5 KB · Views: 13
If any gold got dissolved in AP, just add more copper to dissolve. It will cement out the gold. Collect as powder with the foils.

Dark AP does not dissolve copper. It has become cuprous chloride. You need cupric chloride to dissolve copper.
https://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=28521And how did your experiment with one or a couple of fingers turn out? What did you learn from that? If i may ask.

Martijn.
That is not the one i meant, so here is the one i meant to share:
https://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=12914

Hello dpgold. I wish I would have posted this yesterday, but my phone wouldn't sync up with my pc and I couldn't import any pictures. I'm afraid I should have said something right after I read your post though, just so you wouldn't make the same mistake I did. I tried to make modifications to my bubbler hose in an attempt to increase dissolution of air into solution, as well as better anchor the hose at the bottom. I constructed the "halo", as I called it, and it failed miserably and stole my gold :(

It turns out, the acid-peroxide solution will also dissolve other things, including whatever my three-way hose adapter was made out of. I don't know if it was PVC or nylon, but I think I read on the forum that nylon will dissolve in either HCL or clc2.

I saved the remnants in hopes of recovering the gold in the future, and I'm happy to share the failure in case it can help anyone else in the future. If you used little, black, barbed fittings we might be in the same boat. I'm sure the keys to unlocking the gold are in the pages of the forum, and I'll do that research when I'm ready. I'm guessing there may be incineration involved.

Good Luck!
mike
thank you, how was your gold lost? If the plastic was dissolved somehow it should not have affected the solution, it could be that the heat melt it?

I no longer use air hose for “AP”. When I did, regular aquarium hose worked fine as I replaced it about once a year anyway. From there I started using cpvc water line and five gallon buckets. When I do use “AP” now I use air lift type pumps to circulate the solution. The biggest downside to this method is it will constantly dissolve the copper and drop it back out as it circulates away from moving solution. The bucket/water pipe works really well for 95% of situations and can be used even in large 50 gallon barrels with enough air.

Martijn.
I was not able to do the experiment yet since I did not set up a place for these experiments yet, I am looking forward to learn all these things but I don't have all the necessary equipment set up yet, I need to do these outside the house. In theory is not that complicated but I can not digest all this new information so easily. I have the current batch set up outside in a jar within a bucket and covered by some glass near the house.
Basically all most of the fingers fell off but I have to make a stannous solution to test if there is any gold dissolved and figure out what I have. I got a hold of some SN in the form of solder and will dissolve in HCL (the recipe I got calls for 2g tin to 10ml HCL or 12g to 50ml). Now my batch has little pieces of gold floating, I don't see on top whole fingers just tiny pieces. I am trying to keep up with your advice to learn as much as I can.

I was not able to do the experiment yet since I did not set up a place for these experiments yet, I am looking forward to learn all these things but I don't have all the necessary equipment set up yet, I need to do these outside the house. In theory is not that complicated but I can not digest all this new information so easily. I have the current batch set up outside in a jar within a bucket and covered by some glass near the house.
Basically all most of the fingers fell off but I have to make a stannous solution to test if there is any gold dissolved and figure out what I have. I got a hold of some SN in the form of solder and will dissolve in HCL (the recipe I got calls for 2g tin to 10ml HCL or 12g to 50ml). Now my batch has little pieces of gold floating, I don't see on top whole fingers just tiny pieces. I am trying to keep up with your advice to learn as much as I can.
I am trying to understand this cementation process, where does the polyvynilchloride comes from in a solution

Martijn.
PolyVinylChloride? The solution is darker however on the lid there is green solution, maybe I should add some HCL and do a stannous test first before anything else? I am looking for the SS nut. Yes it is a lot of info to digest at once but I am determined.

Latest posts

Back