Gold will not drop

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you very much
Lessons learned so far
1.)Totally agree w/ you about checking the Ph going slower.
2.) Go cold when using HCl and bleach
3.) being on the ball every second should be a mantra .
4.) bought Nitric Acid yesterday
Nitric will make things easier but has its drawbacks.
Use it in VERY small amounts unless for Silver.
Nitric do not like Tin, it creates Metastannic acid which is a nightmare to filter.
Personally I use HCl/Peroxide for small amounts of Gold or PGMs
You need strong Peroxide though, I guess 20% plus is best.

First of all the solution needs to be filtered crystal clear before precipitating anything.
For SMB and maybe Coppras too the solution needs to be sufficiently acidic, something that is not the case when using the HCl/Bleach method.

Attachments

• ADF5EB00-593E-4194-8741-A49CF0DA67ED.jpeg
    ADF5EB00-593E-4194-8741-A49CF0DA67ED.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 6CF7E2B3-425B-49FE-800B-DB60A42DC177.jpeg
    6CF7E2B3-425B-49FE-800B-DB60A42DC177.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
1.) check, yes I have bought the book and have read it ( rereading as well)
2.) Will do
3.) I do treat my wastes , I seem I have recovered more copper ( using rebar to cement out Cu)

I had asked for clarification/ more details because I had trouble .

I had performed 2 trail runs one with AP on gold fingers the other with magnetic and non magnetic pins.
I combined the two batches and used the HCl & Bleach method to dissolve the gold ( there was some copper I think in the filter media )

I put the filter media in a HCl and bleach solution it was a yellow green color at first but turned black after heating it Stanous solution showed gold in solution but it was a small amount .
My mistakes:
1.) filtration work needs improving
2.) don’t heat HCl / bleach solution
Since the amount was small I just put in the stock and will cement it out w/ copper .

The picture attach was before added the batch of pins .
Edit ; This should have said since the amount was so small I was just thinking of putting it in my stock pot .

I have searched for stannous test
My last batch :
30 ml HCl
1 gram stannous crystals
10 grams tin shot ( melted and cut up)

In addition I’m going to prepare a gold solution .

I have searched for stannous test
My last batch :
30 ml HCl
1 gram stannous crystals
10 grams tin shot ( melted and cut up)

In addition I’m going to prepare a gold solution .
I do not use anything else than solder and HCl.
Works like a charm.

I do not use anything else than solder and HCl.
Works like a charm.
What is the formula for stannous chloride? e.g. 2g Sn / 1ml HCL? I have 95/5 Sn - Sb solder to work with, everything I'm finding includes crystals or is ambiguous.

What is the formula for stannous chloride? e.g. 2g Sn / 1ml HCL? I have 95/5 Sn - Sb solder to work with, everything I'm finding includes crystals or is ambiguous.
There are many recipes out there, but why make our simplest task difficult.
Fill a 50-100ml bottle with a splash (a few ml) water add HCl to 3/4 full and put in a few grams of Tin solder.
Let it react until the bubbles stop.
Add a cap loosely.
It is beneficial that not all the Tin dissolves if you want it to keep working for a long time.
For your own sake it is wise to write down your own recipe so you make the same strength each time.

Back