hallo from jivo.j

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jivo.j

hallo every one ,
i am new in forum .
work like goldsmith in london .
have interesed to hot separating and refining metals .

example - cupelation .
Cupelation are mostly for reclaiming PMs from ore or very mixed dirty unknown mixes.
Not for jewelry scrap.
Then only smelting and hydro metallurgical processes including electrolysis will do.

Usually jewelers prefer to work with inquartation and parting to purify their gold. However I do know some smaller jewelers who use cupellation to remove all of the base metals and are left with a smaller quantity of gold alloy to inquart. In almost all of these cases that I know of first hand, they use cupellation because they have the kiln on hand and working in a hood.

Cupellation does volatilize about 10% of the lead used in the process.

thank you- 4metals - briliant answer .in this case we have aloy between PM and base metal . in the end have pure PM 100%

my big target is to separate dust ag, au,pt . (by special melting proces) 90 -95 % purity os ok for me .

have small target - to clean partly dirty PM. - 9ct. 14ct.18ct.
1.after melting with old glas powder,
2.melting "broken" gold aloy in potato .

Cupellation is done using lead to wrap the alloys and they are heated to melting in a furnace while sitting in a cupel. The lead oxidizes and is drawn into the cupel (typically bone ash) leaving the precious metals behind.

Your reference to glass and a potato is lost on me. The art of cupellation is not. Potato's can be used to separate the mercury in amalgam from the metals, and borax (glass) is used to scorify base metals into a slag layer in a melt with granulated lead.

The cupellation will not separate out the Silver Gold and Platinum that you mention from each other, what remains in the cupel will be an alloy of those 3 metals.

I think there is a language issue going on here unfortunately all I can do for you is in English.

Latest posts

Back