Is My Math Correct For Inquarting Gold With Silver?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hello members,

I'm doing my first inquarting of gold and I'm wanting to make sure I did the math correct. I have read some tutorials here and read the calculations, but I actually used the calculator from Samual-a web site. I'll learn it soon without a computer, but for now, this is helping me understand the ratio of base metals to the pure gold content.

Never mind the gold value as I did the copy/paste about an hour ago. I just want to make sure I'm learning to understand the right ratio of silver for inquarting. Also, should I hold on to the white gold ring or inquart it with the rest of the gold? I also added a gram more silver to the calculations to make sure I'm close enough.

14K Teeth Plate: 4.97g
Pure Gold Content: 2.8975099999999996 Grams
Gold Value: 137.99574198630353 Dollars

14K (White Gold) Ring: 1.77g
Pure Gold Content: 1.0319099999999999 Grams
Gold Value: 49.14536485226505 Dollars

10kt lot- 4.6g
14 April 2013 20:02:06
Pure Gold Content: 1.9135999999999997 Grams
Gold Value: 91.13640742050603 Dollars

18kt lot -1.7g
Pure Gold Content: 1.275 Grams
Gold Value: 60.72267948429411 Dollars

14kt lot -0.3g
Pure Gold Content: 0.17489999999999997 Grams
Gold Value: 8.329722856316108 Dollars

==================================TOTAL 13.34 grams================================

==================================TOTAL PURE GOLD 7.27 grams======================

22.88 grams of pure silver to inquart the gold.

Is the math correct?

Thanks

Kevin

After going back over everything and rereading the page on Samuel-a's website, I noticed the below information. Is that correct for 10K?

10 karat gold - item contains 41.66% gold and 41.76% another metals (used for jewelry).

I read this on e-How just a short while ago.
10K Gold

Gold designated 10K contains 37.5 percent pure gold and 62.5 percent other metals. Metal of less than 10K gold content cannot be sold as "gold" in the U.S. A typical 10K gold alloy contains 37.5 percent gold, 52 percent silver, 4.9 percent copper, 4.2 percent zinc and 1.4 percent nickel. "Rose" 10K gold contains a higher percentage of copper and slightly more gold, lending it a reddish cast.

Kevin

Your numbers are correct.
13.34 grams - 7.27 grams of 24 k gold = 6 grams of base metal already included.
You have 7.27 grams of 24 k so multiply that X 4 to get the gold to 25% = 28 grams.
You have 6 grams already so you need to add 22 more.

Sam had a misprint on his website i see. 10k = 41.7% gold and 58.3% base metals.

Palladium said:
You have 7.27 grams of 24 k so multiply that X 4 to get the gold to 25% = 28 grams.

Sam had a misprint on his website i see. 10k = 41.7% gold and 58.3% base metals.
Palladium, you always make me feel better about what I do when you chime in. I really appreciate your help and guidance. My only obstacle now is to take imaginary gold samples and pretend I have x amount of 14K and x amount of others, then do the calculations on paper or calculator. Once I do that, I'll know how to do the math correctly without having to ask questions (even though I have been reading Hoke's Book and the forum threads on the inquarting). Some things just don't click in right away for everyone at first.

Thanks again my brother.... you gave me much more hope on my calculations. :mrgreen:

Kevin

Palladium said:
Not quite.
The goal is for 25% gold content (for inquartation, or *quartering*).

In order for the equation to be correct, you must include the gold-----so the total weight after inquartation would be 29.08 grams.
From the 29.8 grams you would deduct the 13.34 grams, leaving you with 15.74 grams of silver to be added.

Want to check the figures?

Simple.

15.74 grams silver added to
13.34 (the alloy you intend to refine)
------
29.08 grams x 25% = 7.27 grams of pure gold.

Because of the sheer volume of gold I processed, all done without a preliminary assay, I concluded that the addition of 110% of the starting alloy weight would be quite close to the desired ratio. It won't be enough if you're processing all 14K or better, but with mixed alloys, it tends to be quite reliable. Remember, it's not critical, as a gold/silver alloy will part through a fairly broad range.

Harold

I'll be dam! You are exactly correct Harold. I understand my mistake now! So actually i have been over calculating the silver on the high side anyway which is a good thing i guess, especially with higher karat gold. I love being corrected because now i know.

Harold_V,

Thanks for the correction and explanation. I understand the calculations more so now. Here's how I made it easy for me to remember....

13.34 grams of total metal to refine.
7.27 grams is pure gold.

I multiply the pure gold by 4 (7.27 x 4 = 29.08) (29.08 is the total the metal should be after adding the silver.)

I take 29.08 and subtract the total weight of the metal to refine (13.34) and I'm left with 15.74 grams. The 15.74 grams is the amount of silver I need to add to the metal to inquart.

It's much easier now that I understand the calculations better.

Also, I noticed that when I looked at a few tutorials here on inquarting, it appeared to me that if a person added between 100 - 110% of the weight in silver, they would be close to the ratio needed. Although it's not exact, but that's how I kept figuring it out when I did the math.

Thanks so much for clarifying this for me, and hopefully it'll serve to help others too. And I thank you too Palladium for your help.

Kevin

I just now finished inquarting my gold and here are the results.

29.08 grams total weight.
28.48 grams after inquarting.
0.6 grams loss during melt. M.A.P.P. torch was used. Maybe I'll try the propane next time.

This was very interesting to do. I got the hang of it now.

Thank you all for this great site.

inquart-01.jpg

Kevin

I just now finished inquarting my gold and here are the results.

29.08 grams total weight.
28.48 grams after inquarting.
0.6 grams loss during melt. M.A.P.P. torch was used. Maybe I'll try the propane next time.

This was very interesting to do. I got the hang of it now.

Thank you all for this great site.

View attachment 20706

Kevin
This posting is from some time ago but if it's still being read. I would like to know if I'm correct in thinking the .6 grams lost is in silver as it has a lower melt temp so it can vaporizer during the melt. Is this logic correct?

Generally with karat alloys the gold silver and PGM's will not volatilize, nor will the copper. Lower temp melting metals like zinc and some of the metals used in dental alloys will volatilize but not the precious metals that were metallic to start with.

Latest posts

Back