Hard-Drive's

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rparks3rd

*******CURIOSITY*******

Ok Hard-drives are they worth anything or rather is is worth my time dismantle and process for scrap? I was told that the disc are plated with platinum???? I thought before i wasted my time I would check with the pro's...lol.... So that being said is there any precious metal in the hard drive woth processing the unit. Obviously i always pull the small board out and pull the plated pins and put the board in my mid to high yeild pile for later processing but beyond that is it worth taking it farther or should i throw the remaining drive in the scrap junk scrap pile???

Thanks everbody for your time and knowledge i apreciate it,

Bob

Boardsort is buying platters for $.35 per pound. They pay over $10.00 per pound for the boards.

I disassemble drives and sell the aluminum hard drive bodies locally, as well as the motors.

I'm keeping the magnets because someone will eventually buy them for the neodymium (spelling?).

Some hard drive covers are stainless steel - it gets sold locally too.

I've been saving the read/write head and arm assembly for some time in the future when I have enough free time to figure out where PM's are in them. There is also a bit of copper on that assembly.

Some drives also contain some nice, fully plated gold pins.

Boardsort is buying platters for $.35 per pound. They pay over $10.00 per pound for the boards.

I disassemble drives and sell the aluminum hard drive bodies locally, as well as the motors.

I'm keeping the magnets because someone will eventually buy them for the neodymium (spelling?).

Some hard drive covers are stainless steel - it gets sold locally too.

I've been saving the read/write head and arm assembly for some time in the future when I have enough free time to figure out where PM's are in them. There is also a bit of copper on that assembly.

Some drives also contain some nice, fully plated gold pins.
I have 100kg platters and ask my local scrap yard for a price. They will pay 8,72 Euro kg! I ask them where is the value in a plate, Nickel or Cobolt? They say it is the nickel.
I guess they belive it is solid nickel, but i ask for a price and told what it is , and tomorrow i sell them.

Henrik

Latest posts

Back