Harvesting Header Pins from Boards: Comments

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks a lot Steve. I'll go buy a heat gun.

When you're melting the solder, can it fall in the heat gun ? Maybe you should do it horizontally instead of vertically ? Just my 2 cents.

Yes. I ruined one heat gun this way. I was cleaning all the parts off of a board and a big glob of solder fell into the gun. It died with a quick 'pop'! :lol: That's why my heat gun is new!

This is why I suggested counting while you heat, to keep track of how long the solder takes to become molten. After the board is 'preheated' counting will give you a pretty good idea as to when the pins will be loose enough to remove easily.

Remember: If you point your heat gun at something and leave it there long enough it will melt or catch on fire! Be sure the gun isn't pointing at something close that will burn or melt when the board is not in front of it.

Steve

lazersteve said:
Remember: If you point your heat gun at something and leave it there long enough it will melt or catch on fire! Be sure the gun isn't pointing at something close that will burn or melt when the board is not in front of it.

Lol ! Has it happened to you ? :lol:

Noxx,

I have used the heat gun for removing the tops off of cpus as shown in one of my other tutorials. Since this requires the gun to point down torwards the work surface the heat that misses the intended target can melt nearby objects or items if the gun isn't kept in motion.

The surface of my workbench is coated with a rugged 1/2" close cell foam which has been melted in a few spots because I applied too much heat to a piece I was working on at the time. :D

When working with the heat gun be very aware of the surrounding items that can be damaged by the intense heat the gun produces. Also don't touch or hold anything that has been exposed to the gun with your bare hands. You will end up with a permanent brand in the shape of the object in your skin.

Steve

:lol: I had a fun time the other night doing it with the heat gun like you had suggested to me the other day...leave it to a girl to not realize she was raining lil silver blobs all over the place while pullin headers like I was some kinda pro! LOL

Then I come see the video today...lmao!

Thanks Steve you rock!

Steve

Once I made a desoldering tool from an old refrigerator compressor. I attached a rubber hose to suction side, collected the solder in a glass air compressor air filter chamber with paper filter removed. A copper, stainless steel or glass tube at hot end would work to try. Since I was collecting these for free I didn't care how long they lasted.

If anyone tries this be aware they can spit some oil out the other end at first making quite a mess.

Wayne

I bought a heat gun today for 30 bucks. I have low and high settings.
The high setting works pretty fast, it is 540°C (1000°F) :lol:

Thanks Steve for the input !

Noxx,

The temperature controlled heat gun is one of my most valuable tools. :wink:

Steve

Back