HCL CL turned red

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plumbers

This is a picture from my cell black powder mixed in HCL CL. any idea why its red?

Attachments

• 2012-10-28 19.46.51.jpg
    2012-10-28 19.46.51.jpg
    1.3 MB
How many pins?
How much black powder?
How long did it take for the powder to dissolve?

A very gold saturated solution can appear red orange. That's why I ask these questions.

Also, did you wash the powders really well before moving to the HCl/ CL? Don't know if that would affect the color of your solution or not.

did you weigh the powder before you started? was there any powder left? was the weight different? did you use any iron based material or was your cell built using any iron based material? it looks like iron and iron powder would dissolve in hcl.

did you have tiny gold plated spring from hp (theyr are found under the 'pin less cpu), i have had the same result disolving those spring in hcl-cl

Hope this answers all your questions, and thanks for your posts.

tek4g63
How many pins?
I had 4 pound of pins and some gold plated jewery.

How much black powder?
75 Ml in a 500 ml beaker

How long did it take for the powder to dissolve?
10-15 min. 3 additions of clorox.

Also, did you wash the powders really well before moving to the HCl/ CL? Don't know if that would affect the color of your solution or not.
I washed until the rinse water was clear, and tested with amonia.

Geo
no didn't weigh
no iron material that I no off and my cell is pyrex ,lead,and copper mesh.
there is sediment in the bottom of the beaker (see pic).

ericrm
I did have some HP fiber cpu's but i don't remember any little springs,removed them with a torch.

The sulfuric acid i used is liquid fire and it had a red color to it (its dark now). You ask if i weighed the powder , I didn't dry the powder, after rinsing clean I added HCL/clorox to the wet mud. Should i have dried it? I used the instructions that Lazersteve posted in his reactions list, and i didn't see where He said to dry it, but that could be my mistake. I have done it before like this and got good results, with differant sulfuric acid and not as many pins.
Not sure how I'am going to proceed with this solition, any sugestions?

Attachments

• 2012-10-29 06.37.07.jpg
    2012-10-29 06.37.07.jpg
    1.3 MB
test with stannous, add water to remove the white stuff(probably sodium chloride),filter,precipitate ... just the way you would normaly do, i think

dont toss the solution. it could be a colloid of precious metal. theres tin in the cpu pins as well as jewelry.

geo if it was coloid hcl/cl would have disolved them?

just in case geo is right add more hcl and javel if the color doesnt change i think your good to go

I added more hcl/cl solution did not change color. Have filtered 3 times still not clear enough to precipatate. when I get it clear I will precipatate and see what I have.
Geo, I worked my ssss off getting these pins, there is no way I will throw this solition away! :p
thanks for all your posts.

ericrm said:
geo if it was coloid hcl/cl would have disolved them?

just in case geo is right add more hcl and javel if the color doesnt change i think your good to go

thats right. think about this. all the Cl does is add an oxidizer to the hcl to make it work more efficiently. when you dissolve tin in hcl, what do you get? the hcl/Cl didnt destroy the tin, it just dissolved it. once the oxidizer evaporates out all you have left is AuCl and SnCl2 (stannous chloride). this stannous chloride will cause gold to precipitate out anywhere between blue to red suspended in the solution. it would seem to take forever to settle. im not saying thats what it is, im just saying hcl/Cl does not destroy tin and will not remove it from your solutions.

What was the reaction when you tested with stannous chloride?
Is there a chance you dissolved some Rhodium plated materials in the sulfuric cell it can make red salts?

Tested positive for gold will post pic later, at work now. It is highly possible that I have rhodium in my cell and solution. Did some jewelry in the cell.

HAuCL4-4 H2O is yellow. AuCl3 is red. Your solution is orange red (red + yellow) indicate a mixture of both.

Labman said:
HAuCL4-4 H2O is yellow. AuCl3 is red. Your solution is orange red (red + yellow) indicate a mixture of both.
i think that his stannous chloride result is way to weak to have a orange concentration of auric chloride

plumbers,
Try this add a several drops of the orange-red solution to a spot in that nice little spot plate, add a crystal of ferrous sulfate, the test will show a brown ring as the gold is a precipitate of gold around the crystal, now take a pipette and transfer the liquid from this test (the solution barren of gold, leave the brown gold behind) to another spot in that nice spot plate, to this add a few drops of concentrated sulfuric acid, does the solution stay red? If so it is possibly Rhodium.

This can also be used to test for other metals in solution, with other reagents.

Where can I get me a nice ceramic spot plate like that one? That way I can retire my white plastic egg holder that I use now, I like the looks and size of your spot plate.

butcher,
I don't have any ferrous sulfate, can i use SMB?
if your serious about spot plate, flea bay item #310464449346
thanks

Latest posts

Back