HCL CL turned red

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, SMB would also precipitate the gold in your spot plate, the Idea is to remove gold from the test to see what other metal may be in solution, the ferrous sulfate will not only remove gold in the test but is also a test for gold in solution.

If you have 10% sulfuric acid, and an old scrap transformer, ferrous sulfate is very easy to make, I have made several post describing how to make it.

If I expect PGM in solution my choice of reagent to precipitate gold is ferrous sulfate rather than sodium metabisulfite.

ericrm said:
Labman said:
HAuCL4-4 H2O is yellow. AuCl3 is red. Your solution is orange red (red + yellow) indicate a mixture of both.
i think that his stannous chloride result is way to week to have a orange concentration of auric chloride
I not only see the purple stannous chloride test result but also a yellow precipitate (on the left) an indication of very concentrated gold. (Weak is the correct spelling not week which is seven days)

If this was from aqua regia, and a concentrated gold solution then yes the color would make sense, as when concentrating a gold solution of aqua regia we do see this color, from yellow to orange red but as this came from a HCl/NaClO solution, and unless he evaporated it down to the point of large volumes of salt, I do not see this color being from concentrated gold in solution (although I suppose it is possible), if he took his solution this far down in concentration, but I would also expect some value in the salts of possible gold pushed out of solution.

This is an interesting mystery.

thank you for the answer ,i didnt know for the yellow precipitate ... weak/week please do not look at my pass message for misuse of world you would not have the time to do anything else after :lol: but thank you :mrgreen:

ericrm, I have no trouble understanding your messages, and I do not know if you speak English or not but I am sure you are doing the best you can.

ericrm, I am just trying to be funny here:
Can I ask if when you typed misuse of world in the (pass) past message did you mean to say misuse of word?
Seems like I do seem too much time on my hands.

:lol:

:lol: i didnt know if you where serious or not ,anyway i think it is pretty funny... i have brain issue,memory trouble, adult add, and i thin i do a little dislexia(some bad case in my familly, i can wrote a word in many different way in the same text, but the worse of all im a french quebecois that speak english by sound ....... well please offer me some forgiveness as im a "good: person

all in all i think for the low end im doing quit good :mrgreen:

butcher and all
I did the test you sugested, see picture for results. I had problems filtering I believe it had lead in it because after filtering when I sprayed the filter with water it clouded the top of the solution . After realizing that I siphoned it and now I'am ready to precipitate. The test shows possibly Rhodium (the way I see it), whatever it is since it looks to me like SMB does not pull it down with the Au I'am going to drop it with the SMB and if need, I'll incinerate and then AR to hopefully fine gold. I believe that I should have washed the black powder more than I did. I have over 4 pounds of pins to do and I will wash it better to see if that is what caused my red collored solution.
Thanks for all your help
plumbers

Attachments

• 2012-11-02 17.41.38.jpg
    2012-11-02 17.41.38.jpg
    1.6 MB
If you carried over some lead from your cathode in your cell powder and put it in solution, precipitate it with a few drops of sulfuric acid and filter before you precipitate the gold.

qst42know said:
If you carried over some lead from your cathode in your cell powder and put it in solution, precipitate it with a few drops of sulfuric acid and filter before you precipitate the gold.

Thanks for your reply , I did that and now have a very clear redish orange solution. Im sure some of the pins i used had lead on them also.

If your pins had silver bearing solder on them dilute and filter your solution to get the silver chloride out. I suspect silver may the cloudiness you see when adding water.

From the spot plate test besides a little bit of gold in solution with the stannous test, I do not see much in the yellow color of the test with sulfuric, it is not indicating Rhodium in solution, you could test for iron in the solution barren of gold, Hokes describes the test on page 100 of her book, iron can give a wide range of colors to our solutions like yellow, green, brown, as well as others.

Iron can look a lot like gold in solution, and can easily be mistaken for gold in solution, sometimes testing the solution is the only way to tell the difference, many chemical reactions may not give the colors we expect, especially with many variables involved, although colors of solutions are many times indicative of what might be in solution, the color or looks alone cannot be relied on, testing the solutions is the only way to be fairly be sure what is, or is not in our solution.

There are many more tests for metal anions and the Cations in solutions than the ones we normally use here on the forum, reading some information on qualitative analysis, can help you learn more about testing solutions, when they puzzle you with the colors they form.

Thank you for giving me the Ebay number of the little spot plate, I ordered me one it’s cost was $8.25 with shipping, a very good deal, now I can replace my big plastic egg holder with a real spot plate, it will use up less space on the lab table and clean much easier.

Latest posts

Back