hcl peroxide baking soda and hcl-sodium hypochlorite and cop

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fpower60

Hi every one on this forum. Ok so i made a mess up im very nnot a chemist im technologist in industrial electronics and im from quebec, Canada. so im sorry for my english to... And thanks for all the post they really helpfull i started read hookes book.

So ill explaine my fist experience and i would like to have some comment and explanation you will see a dummy try to but it will help me and maybe some other person...

Ok then... I started up with hydrochloric 34% and hydrogen peroxide 3%, Everithing was good i seen the gold foils go out from the electronic scrap then i burned it whit propane torch to remove some plastics filtered it in water to remove the plastic as i can. The result was gold foils whit a little bit of some other scrap.

After i used bleach and hcl acis to melt the foils everythings was good and yes i have my protective gear i just removed my mask for 1 breath and i wasent able to breath.... So after de gold metl in the chemical solution it was a green emerlad so as a dummy i put baking soda and the result was brown powder i tryed to melt it whit oxy acetylene torch and it burn everythings thecrucible to but i was seeing some gold in the crucible... May be. I dont have pic of the melted solution but oxy acetilene was a bad idea...

To return to the solution i put the baking soda that i just keep the brown powder the resulting liquid was more clear green yellow emerlad color that i putted in a copper bar after 5 minutes the solution turned a dark black that when i puted that to the sun and try to look the solution... My eye back the bottle plastic water bottle and the bottle to the sun and it was really dark i tryed to melt the product but i did the same mistake i tried agan to use the oxy acetylene torch but whit less heat and far awway i was able to see little beans of yellow gold but they finished melted like gold plated steel and eveporated it was aproximatively 0.8g of pure gold on the steel i used for that one...
So thanks for reading and every constructive comment are really apreciate thank you!!!!

Attachments

• 20160304_150359.jpg
    20160304_150359.jpg
    3.9 MB
  • 20160304_150359.jpg
    20160304_150359.jpg
    3.9 MB
  • 20160305_210517.jpg
    20160305_210517.jpg
    2.8 MB
Sorry i made a mistake on the poste about the pucture there is the foils after burned and filtered

Attachments

• 20160219_002011.jpg
    20160219_002011.jpg
    2.3 MB
fpower60,
I have to admit I am having a hard time understanding what you wrote, or your question, especially when you say things like melting gold in acid?
Language barrier aside, I think you would do well to spend more time studying, and a little less time trying to do it before you have a better understanding, then I would just bet you will see more gold beads in your melting dish.

butcher said:
fpower60,
I have to admit I am having a hard time understanding what you wrote, or your question, especially when you say things like melting gold in acid?

After dealing with the language barrier in online games for over 20 years, most of this is plain English to me.

fpower60 said:
Hi every one on this forum. Ok, so I made a mess up, I'm not really a chemist, I'm a technologist in industrial electronics and I'm from Quebec, Canada, so I'm sorry for my english too. Thanks for all of the posts they are really helpful. I started reading Hoke's book.

So I'll explain my first experience and I would like to have some comments and explanations. You will see my mistake, but it will help me and maybe some other person.

Ok then. I started with Hydrochloric acid 34% (HCl) and Peroxide 3% (H2O2). Everything was good, I saw the gold foils separate from the electronic scrap, then I burned it with a propane torch to remove some plastic. I filtered it with water to remove the plastic (ash). The result was gold foils with a little bit of some other scrap.

After I used Hydrochloric acid and Bleach (HCl+Cl) to dissolve the foils, everything was good and yes I have my protective gear. I removed my mask for 1 breath and I wasn't able to breathe. So, after the foils dissolved, the solution was a green, emerald color. So as a mistake, I put in baking soda (NaHCO3) and the result was brown powder. I tried to melt it with an Oxy-Acetylene torch and it burned everything including the crucible, but I was seeing some gold in the crucible "maybe". I don't have a pic of the melted powder, but the Oxy-Acetylene was a bad idea.

After removing the brown powder, the resulting liquid was more of a clear, green, yellow, emerlad color. I put in a copper bar and after 5 minutes the solution turned a dark black. When I looked at the sun through the plastic bottle, the solution was very dark. I filtered this and tried to melt the powder, but I did the same mistake as last time with the Oxy-Acetylene torch, but this time with less heat and farther away. I was able to see little beads of yellow gold, but the finished product looked like gold plated steel and it was aproximatively 0.8g of pure gold on the steel I used for that one. (I'm not sure what he means by "steel", possibly a steel crucible, or that the second precipitate looked like gold plated steel after melting it?)

So thanks for reading and every constructive comment is really appreciated thank you!!!!

Edit - I agree with butcher. You should read and study more, before you try this again, so that you don't accidently make another mistake. Alot of the chemicals we use for this are very dangerous.

So it wasent look like steel but gold plated i seen some little beans melting and the steel wasent.... So i have a question if i put copper bar in a solution the only metals will drops are silver mercury gold platinum (metals lowers from the table) thats true? So if i put my copper in aquous solution and i have cement color powder its because its silver right? And if i have a black powder in it is gold? So i now my english is not good when i write but i understand everything i reading...

I know theory is good but practice is a lot more better. as a technologist in electronics i know that.... Its why i still asking because its not in the book or buy reading all this forum i will do a good things but whit practice... Read and practice is 50-50 for me i think.

fpower60 said:
So it wasent look like steel but gold plated i seen some little beans melting and the steel wasent.... So i have a question if i put copper bar in a solution the only metals will drops are silver mercury gold platinum (metals lowers from the table) thats true? So if i put my copper in aquous solution and i have cement color powder its because its silver right? And if i have a black powder in it is gold? So i now my english is not good when i write but i understand everything i reading...

What material did you use? Circuit board, jewelry?

When you place a copper bar into the solution, it will make other metals drop, if they are below it in the "metal reactivity chart". (silver, gold, platinum and others)

The cement "grey" color powder, is most likely copper powder. Gold powder will be brown or black.

fpower60 said:
I know theory is good but practice is a lot more better. as a technologist in electronics i know that.... Its why i still asking because its not in the book or buy reading all this forum i will do a good things but whit practice... Read and practice is 50-50 for me i think.

First, read and understand the proper way to do these experiments, then practice second. These chemicals can be very dangerous.

Grelko said:
fpower60 said:
So if i put my copper in aquous solution and i have cement color powder its because its silver right? And if i have a black powder in it is gold? So i now my english is not good when i write but i understand everything i reading...
The cement "grey" color powder, is most likely copper powder. Gold powder will be brown or black.
fpower, when many metals are cemented, they will appear grey/silver in color. In your case, it's not likely to be silver since you're using HCl and peroxide and HCl and bleach, and silver isn't very soluble in chloride solutions. If you dissolve silver in nitric acid and add a copper bar, the silver cement would be silver/grey in color.

Grelko, are you perhaps thinking of copper chloride? Cemented copper, created by adding steel to a solution containing copper, should look like, well, copper.

Dave

fpower60 said:
So i have a question if i put copper bar in a solution the only metals will drops are silver mercury gold platinum (metals lowers from the table) thats true? So if i put my copper in aquous solution and i have cement color powder its because its silver right? And if i have a black powder in it is gold?
This is the part that I was talking about.

FrugalRefiner said:
Grelko, are you perhaps thinking of copper chloride? Cemented copper, created by adding steel to a solution containing copper, should look like, well, copper.

Dave

Yes, I was. That's why I wondered about the specific material he was using. He said it was "electronic scrap", so I'm guessing that it would have been from boards or pins, which contain alot of copper. The HCl and peroxide he was using to get the foils would produce copper chloride. Then after adding a copper bar, it would eventually saturate the solution, dropping the rest of the less reactive metals (gold, etc.) as black powder, plus some (copper I chloride) as "grey " powder.

At first, I thought that he melted (liquified) the steel crucible and powder together with the torch, instead of dissolving (melting) a piece of steel into solution, which would drop the copper as well, because he was talking about melting the gold beads. I could be mistaken though, but it actually sounds like he has gold flakes and powder, mixed with (copper I chloride) powder.

Thank you for helping me with this. I'm still learning also. :p

There is one thing I have learned from using the cementing process for the last 40 years. You can never judge a cemented metal by its color!

Things like particle size and trace contamination from dirty solutions just make it hard to judge. After the cemented metals dropped are cleaned up and precipitated after refining and are sitting on the bottom of the beaker, then color can tell you something, not before.

Another thing I have learned is I am never right looking at a precipitate sitting at the bottom of a beaker and trying to guess how much is there. I always dry or melt it and use a balance. The scale never lies!

I'm sorry about that i had to creat new accout my phone broke and i did not have answere for my password recovery... it's fpower60.

So if you look at the picture you will see the brown powder. I used some gold plated board and old DIPP chip. i made 3 baths;

1: HCl - Hydrogene peroxide then i isolate the golds foils and some other little quantities of other scrap.

2: same HCl-Hydrogene peroxide to remove the remaining cooper, tin and others not precious metals...

3: HCl-sodium hypochlorite (clorox) for dissolve the gold.

i dropped the gold( and the other precious metal whit cooper ) the yellow liquid turned black really fast.

then i take that powder and tried to melt it whit oxy-acetylene torch but i did not make any wash i think it was my mistake maybe there was remaining AuCl and it just evaporated when i tried to melt it with the oxy-acetylene?

And thanks for all the information its really appreciate. I know it can be very dangerous i already working in factory as electronics technologist and I'm use to whit chemical vapor I'm just not a chemist but i learning everyday...

rioux said:
Copper powder dosent look like white-green more than gray?
Copper that has been cemented is metallic copper, and it will have the reddish color of copper, like copper wire or pipe. If allowed to dry and exposed to the air, some of will begin to oxidize and turn dark like an old penny or take on a green patina associated with aged copper. Other copper compounds (salts) will have various colors. Copper (I) chloride is a whitish/greyish color, copper (II) chloride is greenish, copper sulfate is blue. Many metals act in similar ways, taking on different colors depending on the type of salt produced.

Hope that helps.

Dave

yes its helping a lot i seen this "white" powder when i put a steel bar in my green remaining solution. (its new for me and my chemistry lesson are far away :mrgreen: )

So i started a new "batch" and i understand better the metals reactivity series than the working process for sodium methabisulfite... so if i use to drop gold (and platinum) a canadaian fine 5 dollards silver coin (9999) i will drop only gold and platinum "if there is" and the weight of my 5$ coin will lost the same amount of atom of dropped gold? if i make calculation about my molar weight lost from my fine silver coin i will know how many gold i have is it true? then i can recover my silver whit copper bar like that i will lost nothing but my silver will be less fine because maybe there will some trace of mercury and tungsten, right?

So about mercury that is unwanted metal can i see if there is in the solution, is there mercury in electronics ( i know some old relay and thermostat have that metal ) but about chip or SMD board is there mercury in ( i know there is certainely some little trace and will evaporate when melting but what amout about % of electronics weight )?

you may want to read this somewhere in the forum, but I am not too sure about the silver dropping gold or platinum. Although the activity series would suggest that, I thought that it won't or at least not well. If I am wrong, I am sure someone will set me straight on that.

rioux said:
if i use to drop gold (and platinum) a canadaian fine 5 dollards silver coin (9999) i will drop only gold and platinum

In theory yes. In practice no. The silver will be passivated by the acid in this case.

I think you would have a better experience and much better results if you would study enough to know the possible outcomes of these processes and reactions before you start them. Just guessing on the next step then asking how to fix it probably won't get you very far.

Yes true, i need more learning about this process... So im at page 110 in hook's book and its plain of interesting information. And i have a question about it... They not use SMB to drop gold.. The question is: why? When the book was wrote they wasent use this chemical? Is it the better way to drop gold?

Thanks

Good deal. Glad to see you are reading Hoke. Pay attention to her acquaintance experiments. Do try them. Do them until you understand the reactions they teach. They are a great way of learning hands on how metals behave in solution, they are fun too!

Her choice of precipitant is essentially just that. Choice. Any precipitant can have its advantages depending on circumstances and what all may be in solution with the gold. But it just comes down to personal choice and cost. And Miss Hoke apperantly preferred ferrous sulfate, at least at the time she wrote the book.

Latest posts

Back