hcl peroxide baking soda and hcl-sodium hypochlorite and cop

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Remember that Hoke wrote her book in the 1940's. All the basic information is still very relevant, but a few things have progressed.

Some people dissolve and drop their gold twice, once with ferrous sulfate and the second time with SMB, (or vise a versa). Doing this can yield 3 or 4 9's purity.

fpower60 said:
I know theory is good but practice is a lot more better.
That's true ONLY If the practice is good practice, not bad practice.

I haven't tried to make sense of this thread, but one thing jumped out at me immediately---the talk of a steel crucible. It has NO PLACE in the refining of gold and silver. Until you lose that idea, you're not going to get anywhere. And, that you claim to be reading Hoke sounds more to me like it's a claim, not a reality. If you cheat yourself in gaining the basics, you're going to struggle endlessly. Read Hoke's book, and then read it again. Read it until it makes sense to you. Do that before you jump in unknown water.

as a technologist in electronics i know that.... Its why i still asking because its not in the book or buy reading all this forum i will do a good things but whit practice... Read and practice is 50-50 for me i think.
For you, and most people---but practicing something that makes no sense isn't going to benefit you in the same way it would if you practiced things that are constructive. The best advice I could offer you is to start with Hoke's book. Read it until it makes sense, then take it to your lab and perform the experiments she provides, so you become familiar with the expected reactions, including testing. Only after doing so should you even think of starting to refine, as, until you've reached that point, it's more like you've scheduled a recital when you don't have a clue about how to play the instrument of your choosing.

Harold

So i started by read a wikihow gold refining i made some (alot) of mistake by only using that is not simple as wkikihow show it... So thank for the advise but i already understood that.

I have some question about stannous chloride. I ordered 4 bar of 1 grain each.

I think about put one of these bars in 15ml of HCl and add sodium hypochlorite to melt it.

My question is; is it will be enough concentrate to have my result black whit 2g of Sn and 30ml HCl as testing and gaging solution?

Thank for your answere!

This is not for stannous chloride but for smelt 1 grain bar gold to make a teste solution... Ouffff i think i write really bad in english....

* 1 grain is 0.067 gram...
* Smelting is the art of turning ore or other material into metal by high temperature chemistry in a furnace.
* Melting is heating a metal (or other object) until it turns from solid to a liquid state.
* Dissolving is when you are using for example acids on gold to turn in in a salt dissolved in water.

I understand that your first language isn't English. I recommend that you add your general location in the "Location" field so it shows up with your posts. That way people usually gets into a more understandable and forgiving mode.
Proper language is quite important on this forum since we are dealing with dangerous chemicals and a mistake could get ugly fast. If you are unsure on the spelling then write it in both English and French and I'm sure some helpful member will correct your English.

Göran

Thanks for these information about definition maybe i should look before on google translation but i wasent see any difference in these word thanks you.

Merci beaucoups pour la nuance. Je ne voyais pas vraiment de difference entre ces mots. J'aurrais du verifier sur la traduction de google avant.

rioux said:
This is not for stannous chloride but for smelt 1 grain bar gold to make a teste solution... Ouffff i think i write really bad in english....
Sorry for the misunderstanding.
I think that a ratio of 1 gram of gold per 1 litre of solution makes a pretty decent standard gold testing solution.

So with 1 grain in 15ml of HCl (plus a few ml of bleach?), you will have a solution maybe around 3 to 4 times stronger than that.

Stannous chloride is able to detect gold in very, very, small concentrations. If you want to experiment, take a few drops of your gold solution and dilute it in HCl again, maybe 10x, and test it with stannous. If you keep doing this, you will get a feel for just how miniscule amount of gold can be detected.

It's good policy to write your gold concentration on the bottle.

Edit: I don't know what shape your bar is, but to dissolve it in HCl/Clorox, you should make sure it is hammered to quite thin, so it has a better surface area and more able to dissolve before the chlorine evaporates.

So its true my bar just lost 0.02g in 40ml final solution (500mg gold/litter) hcl clorox and i tested it and it done that picture. Im really impress about that! Here the result pic whit stanous chloride.

Attachments

• 20160329_171102.jpg
    20160329_171102.jpg
    3.6 MB

Latest posts

Back