Help me to recognize...

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mida

Hi People....
I have some bolts coming from old military computer scrap.You can see a sample in the pic.
Nitric acid isnt able to dissolve it.
In AR it give a dark green solution.
I suspect that these bolts are made fom metals of the platinum group,but I'm not sure.What do you think about it? Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• clip_image002.jpg
    clip_image002.jpg
    5.7 KB
  • clip_image003.jpg
    clip_image003.jpg
    4.2 KB
Hello,

I can't think of any good reason why a bolt (or nut) would be made of PGMs.

From your description of the reaction with nitric and AR, along with the color of the solution, I would say the bolt contains mostly iron. From this I would assume your bolts are stainless steel.

You can confirm PGMs with stannous chloride solution.

If you have the NSN number of the bolts it is a simple process to look up there physical make-up.

Steve

Mida said:
Yeah,nitric was used in the first trial but dissolved nothing...
Pretty good indication the bolts are made of 300 series stainless. If they are, they will be non-magnetic, and have a silvery color that leans ever so slightly yellow (nickel content).

300 series stainless is commonly used for containers to transport and dispense nitric acid.

Harold

The bolts are from 'Sealectro',and,yeah,its made with non magnetic material.Probably was gold plated,but I dont remember....

Latest posts

Back