Help with my AP solution

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cursed

I ran about 5 pounds of header pins, ribbon cable connectors, and RF coonecters after first removing 98% of the plastic and debis before doing the AP process with the additon of heat to strip the gold. After letting my solution sit for a few days it was a nice dark green color with a smaller layer at the bottom with a crystaline structure of sorts. I assumed that to be my gold and base metals. I then made the addition of desolved SMB in distilled water to drop my gold and doing so until it stopped foaming I have some how ended up with a beaker of chocolate colored milk. Can anyone shed some light on what has happened. I have let it stand for a few days now and it does not seem to be seperating into layers. I may have in advertantly added some left over AR to it which i had already dropped the gold from but i am not all together sure. The more you know....... the more you realize you dont know.

I think there is to much base metal in the types of things you tried to process for AP. RF connectors exspecially.

AP is recommended for fingers which are thin and plated onto a relativily small amount of base metal.

For pins and sruff like that chemically I use battery acid and potassium nitrate. This will work on the base metal and leave the gold as foils you can see.

Jim

ahhhhh ok ty you are probably right what should i do with what i have any suggestions it was primarily pins but i have to say all types which was why i choose ap to sstart with but i am new to the refinning thing. chalk it up to learning i guess

if chocolate color milk wont precipitate gold try adding HCl and give it a boil, try this for your problem. (colloids ? spelling)

if you added nitric you will need to eliminate it, either evaporation or urea

Back