Help with potential profits of RAM scrap

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr.data

I can buy this for € 50 per kg and I want to know if I can extract enough gold from it to be profitable.
The RAM sticks with heatsink can be sold seperately without having to extract the gold from it.

I know that averages are somewhat difficult to predict in general, would it be worth buying this if I don't calculate the cost of labor and acids for recovery?

Attachments

• RAM.jpg
    RAM.jpg
    608 KB · Views: 4
I can buy this for € 50 per kg and I want to know if I can extract enough gold from it to be profitable.
The RAM sticks with heatsink can be sold seperately without having to extract the gold from it.

I know that averages are somewhat difficult to predict in general, would it be worth buying this if I don't calculate the cost of labor and acids for recovery?
Use your calculator.
As per now the Gold cost 72 EUR pr gram
This means you will need to have 0.7 grams per Kilo, which is without cost or labor.
Not likely to be profitable unless you can sell most of it as working RAM.

Use your calculator.
As per now the Gold cost 72 EUR pr gram
This means you will need to have 0.7 grams per Kilo, which is without cost or labor.
Not likely to be profitable unless you can sell most of it as working RAM.
Thanks for your reply.

I did do a calculation with the numbers from this video:

0.13% of 1 kg (1000 grams) = 1000×0.0013=1.31000 \ 0.0013 = 1.31000×0.0013=1.3 grams of gold
1.3 * 72 = € 93.60

Am I missing something here?

Thanks for your reply.

0.13% of 1 kg (1000 grams) = 1000×0.0013=1.31000 \ 0.0013 = 1.31000×0.0013=1.3 grams of gold
1.3 * 72 = € 93.60

These number migh not be trusted.
And they do not contain the cost and labor of processing.
But anyhow, it is your call.

Videos on Youtube or other places are not on my trust list.
Not all, but most have inflated numbers.

Thanks for your reply.

1.3 * 72 = € 93.60

After seeing the video.
(Not bad actually)
I wonder where you found your numbers?
He got 6g per 10Kg which is 0.6g per kilo, not 1.3g

Hi there. No. If you can get the equivalent of 50 euros per Kg from the shielded RAM that will of course help but they are mixing it and over pricing it to you which is never a good sign at the price of unshielded RAM.

Can you make money on the unshielded at 50 euros. Simple answer is no unless you value your time/materials/chemicals at zero. If you're doign it for the love of making gold then that's absolutely fine but as a commercial proposition it's a hard pass.

Jo n

Thanks a lot for the advice, it's really helpful.
What prices can I offer for it to be affortable without counting the labor and costs of acids?

Thanks a lot for the advice, it's really helpful.
What prices can I offer for it to be affortable without counting the labor and costs of acids?
If you assume the very same mix as the person in the video.
Just count 0.6 grams per kilo and bid according to that.
Im still curious to how you got the number 0.13% since it was actually 0.6% give or take?
But in real life what you recieve can be anything at all.
Is this Ebay?

1724247850959.png

0.1053 % + 0.174 % / 2 = 0,13965

He trows a lot of numbers so I might have missed something but this number seemed plausible to me from what I have read on the internet.
This weekend I want to start myself with 1kg I have laying around but I am going to do it the slow way with HCl and H2O2

This does not come from Ebay but from a local recycling company.
We do a lot of recycling ourselves but I think there is much more margins to gain when I know how to actually refine myself.
Plus I have a profound passion for chemistry and metals I found out a while ago

View attachment 64192

0.1053 % + 0.174 % / 2 = 0,13965

He trows a lot of numbers so I might have missed something but this number seemed plausible to me from what I have read on the internet.
This weekend I want to start myself with 1kg I have laying around but I am going to do it the slow way with HCl and H2O2

This does not come from Ebay but from a local recycling company.
We do a lot of recycling ourselves but I think there is much more margins to gain when I know how to actually refine myself.
Plus I have a profound passion for chemistry and metals I found out a while ago
His end result was 6. something grams. Divided by 10 that is 0.6 something grams for one kilo, which is 0.06% ish
Edit to add:
I see now that it was 0.95 so in practical terms 0.6g per kilo

Shielded ram cards...the aluminum heat sinks and metal clips are approximately 2/3 of the entire weight of a ram card. I've set and weighed the heat shields/ clips. Before and after removing them from ram cards.
Usually 1 pound of trimmed ram fingers yielded approximately 3 gram of gold. Again approximately.

Your right Yggdrasil, I did not see all the way through and was a little confused but he is getting around .6

I think there is a good reason for smelters to pay after processing and I think that that will be my best option instead of buying them up front and then hoping for good results.

Anyway thanks a lot for helping me out, appreciate it!

The very short answer is no. Most of the material is board. Very little PM. Most places in the civilized world would make that seller pay to drop it off.

I'm using the figure of .00136g per gram of ram sticks without the heatsink/shield. So, 2kg of ram sticks without the heatsink/shield could net about 2.7g of gold.
While that may or may not be true for some specific RAM it will not be true for the generation before or after.
How did you arrive at this number?

While that may or may not be true for some specific RAM it will not be true for the generation before or after.
How did you arrive at this number?
It's an average of the results I've seen in refining videos. The accuracy is not guaranteed, for sure. However, it seems to be fairly conservative average. Some do better and some do worse.

Here another example. It has been said that this type of Cpu can yield up to...a third of a gram of gold. Honestly I don't know. I haven't processed any of these yet to see.

Attachments

• 17245245774191132591531706680698.jpg
    17245245774191132591531706680698.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1

Latest posts

Back