Does anyone have information about relays?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeRKaN PGM HuNTeR

Could these relays of the reactive power control unit also be platinum group metals? Does anyone work with these relays? How much pgm can it contain on average?

Regards

Attachments

• IMG_20240909_223359.jpg
    IMG_20240909_223359.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240909_223351.jpg
    IMG_20240909_223351.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240909_223322.jpg
    IMG_20240909_223322.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
Those round things are capacitors, used mainly for lighting armatures or electromotors.
Not relais.
A relais has at least 2 connections for the coil and two or more for the contacts. Usually in sets of three for normally open and closed contacts.
A capacitor has a micro Farad sign on it. Looks like uF.

Edited for spelling.

Last edited:
Is it possible that the Pgm group contains metals? I am doing research or in which serial numbers and modles can it be found? How should I proceed, thanks
All PGMs are metals, yes.
But what your pictures show is Aluminum canister, foil capacitors and they have only Aluminum or maybe minute amount of Silver.
Absolutely no PGMs in these.

Not excactly Precious Metals in a chemical sense, but I found several made with Tantalum foils instead of the Aluminum ones. Which makes them precious as well ... ;-).
Yes, but not this kind, they are much smaller and a different design. ;)

Yes, but not this kind, they are much smaller and a different design. ;)
You never know. I would always check. There is no rule as to what material is being used. Tantalum is chosen for high frequency applications. I found it in usual PC power supplies f.e. From the manufacturer perspective it is the electrical charcteristics and the application that determine which material to use, not the commercial value.
Why much smaller? Why different design??? Tantalum capacitors come in almost all formfactors....

These are capacitors from ancient fluorescent lamps.
The commercial part (reducing the cost of the final product) is a priority.
Apparently the inductor with the copper wire was taken away, but this was thrown out like garbage.

You never know. I would always check. There is no rule as to what material is being used. Tantalum is chosen for high frequency applications. I found it in usual PC power supplies f.e. From the manufacturer perspective it is the electrical charcteristics and the application that determine which material to use, not the commercial value.
Why much smaller? Why different design??? Tantalum capacitors come in almost all formfactors....
The size is needed to make more surface or thicker plates or specific dielectric substrate layer, depending on the current, voltage, frequency of the application it is used in.

Latest posts

Back