help with stannous

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

floppy

Hello, I just tried to make my first batch of stannous chloride, I followed Steve's direction on the chemical list, 30 ml hcl 2 grams of tin powder and heated until it started to fizz. 20 min later tin is still dissolving, is this normal? Do you wait till all tin is dissolved or can I start using right away? I cant find any posts that talk about this. Thank you for your time reading this post.

Make up a small gold standard solution using some card edges or something that you can use to check your stannous with. Always check your stannous against this before using to be sure you are not disposing of solutions that still have values because you were using bad stannous.

Wait for the solution to clear before you use it. A few bubbles and some solid tin in the bottom are fine, but you don't want a cloudy solution as it is most likely cloudy from tin particles floating around in the solution.

Steve

I made my gold standard solution from gold plated glassware, in order to dodge most of the base metals.

I don't think most glassware has any kind of under plating, although some may be alloyed with other metals.

I Just felt I had a more pure solution to test against.

Ray

Latest posts

Back