Help with White ceramic IC/ CPU

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did incinerate them little bit just to get the black sillicone off . But then i had still the problem with the protective layer of very stronge glassy type which was covering the bonding gold wires . I went by patnor advise put it in actetone for over night that actually exposed enough gold . Then i rinsed with water and soap and put the ceramic in AR . This pic is for incinerated sillicone with gold wire I didnt process them yet . Will do it separately . I will post the yeild for it as soon I am done .

Attachments

• 14831372117181104379486.jpg
    14831372117181104379486.jpg
    2.7 MB
Oh the other type I did put them in HCL just to get rid of the silver and other capacitors and then they were straight to AR . They were the easiest to process

Acetone is so strong solvent it actually dissolved my thick rubber gloves I was using when I was stripping glue layer from laptop mouse pad circuits. I put like 100 pads in a bucket with about 1l of acetone overnight. In the morning I put on gloves and started scraping swollen glue off pads using one of them. I did like 3/4 of them then I noticed glove fingers were longer and whole glove felt strange so I took them off and after another while they looked like anything but gloves. Scary stuff.

Just make sure you wash it very well before processing it in AR otherwise you could have combination of making Chloropicrin. Thats what i read .

Roj said:
Just make sure you wash it very well before processing it in AR otherwise you could have combination of making Chloropicrin. Thats what i read .
That is nothing I have heard about in refining. How is it even possible as chloropicrin contains carbon and the synthesis includes nitro methane.

I would like to add a "citation needed" to your claim. Where did you read that?

Göran

Yes, it seems that it is possible to make chloropicrin with acetone/AR, but not so easy, as garage chemist says in that post :-

"Only drawback is that both HCl and HNO3 need to be of maximum concentration.
(I tried it before with 65% HNO3 and it didn't work)"

With any 'contaminants' in that reaction (like Au !) they'd all be in competition with each other, reducing the amount of chloropicrin (and other products) dramatically, possibly to undetectable levels.

It's always tricky to know what is meant when someone says 'A + B makes Z'. I once copied an experiment which 'failed' dismally. Turned out that it didn't fail, just that the amount of Z produced was so small that it could only be detected with a $20,000 machine.

I forgot about the acetone treatment. Now I see how it might form, but as aga wrote, the probability is really low since we don't use fuming nitric acid. There is no use of it in refining.
The ceramic parts were also rinsed in water and soap after the acetone treatment so in this case I think it's safe to say that the risk of forming chloropicrin is negligible.

Good catch though, it's good to get a new view to eliminate dangers. I think a good recommendation could be to let pieces dry out between acetone treatment and aqua regia.

Another thing we try to teach our members is to never smell the reactions... not like they do it on ScienceMadness. :mrgreen:

Göran

Lol Goran . I never intended to smell it unless I am having fight with my wife :mrgreen: .
I just wanted to highlight the rinsing with water and soap to be safe .thats all :) . Thank you all again cheers

Latest posts

Back