Homemade Nitric acid

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok so been trying to find a place to ask my question. I've been trying to make nitric acid for silver recovery. I just started off by melting a few price of junk jewelery and eventually start doing reverse electro plating on silverware.

Now I've been watching videos online on how to make it and pretty confident that I did everything right, I'm just not sure if my water is turning to acid yet.

I started off my turning my calcium ammonium nitrate into sodium nitrate. I added 80 grams to a container, I added the 50 ml of water and disolved it. I added 100ml of muriatic acid. ( Muriatic is 31 percent). Then added copper to it. The liquid began to raise as I was adding the muratic, and was fizzing pretty bad. I placed a jar on top of it, and it's bubbling into the water below.

Now my problem is the gas isn't turning a red color like the videos. My acid turned an off greenish blue color. It's been sitting for an hour now. All it seems to be doing is bubbling into the war below.

So my question is is why isn't my gas turning red, could it still be working. I'm new to all of this so I do apologize if I sounds stupid lol.
It is very easy to make 95% nitric acid. Here is a fun tutorial, and bonus, it is presented by model Aspen Angel:

It is very easy to make 95% nitric acid. Here is a fun tutorial, and bonus, it is presented by model Aspen Angel:

Welcome to us, but please follow the rules of the forum.

I have deleted your other post as it is considered double posting.
Here read the rules https://goldrefiningforum.com/threads/board-policy-this-should-be-read-by-everyone.4646/
And when you are around it here is more studying for you.

We ask our new members to do 3 things.
1. Read C.M. Hokes book on refining jewelers scrap, it gives an easy introduction to the most important chemistry regarding refining.
It is free here on the forum: Screen Readable Copy of Hoke's Book
2. Then read the safety section of the forum: Safety
3. And then read about "Dealing with waste" in the forum: Dealing with Waste

Suggested reading: The Library

Ok. Just seemed odd. I am pretty sure that accent isn’t from New Orleans.

The video, wish he had left the “model” out of it, he could have spent more time on the information and less on the editing. Several members have better videos informational wise, although a few charts could be helpful.

Ok. Just seemed odd. I am pretty sure that accent isn’t from New Orleans.

The video, wish he had left the “model” out of it, he could have spent more time on the information and less on the editing. Several members have better videos informational wise, although a few charts could be helpful.
I usually do not look at these videos, they are almost always a waste of my time.
Written and explained information is usually much better.

I usually do not look at these videos, they are almost always a waste of my time.
Written and explained information is usually much better.
I agree about being a waste of time for the most part. Over the years I like to pick them apart to test my knowledge (and memory) at times. If I need to learn refining and a few other items I come to GRF.

Welcome to us, but please follow the rules of the forum.

I have deleted your other post as it is considered double posting.
Here read the rules https://goldrefiningforum.com/threads/board-policy-this-should-be-read-by-everyone.4646/
And when you are around it here is more studying for you.

We ask our new members to do 3 things.
1. Read C.M. Hokes book on refining jewelers scrap, it gives an easy introduction to the most important chemistry regarding refining.
It is free here on the forum: Screen Readable Copy of Hoke's Book
2. Then read the safety section of the forum: Safety
3. And then read about "Dealing with waste" in the forum: Dealing with Waste

Suggested reading: The Library

Yes, sorry, I didn't mean to repost. I posted my tutorial about nitric acid as a response to a post, before noticing that it would have been more appropriate to post it in this sub-forum.

Yes, sorry, I didn't mean to repost. I posted my tutorial about nitric acid as a response to a post, before noticing that it would have been more appropriate to post it in this sub-forum.
The problem was that you were double and triple posting in quick succession.
Which looked very much like spamming.
Abide by our rules and you will find this is a good place to learn.

Edit to add:
In here we call it poor mans Nitric😏

This video was the only one of yours I’ve watched so far, but a lot of your other videos look interesting so I’ll be checking them out. If you could perhaps improve on the sound quality/microphone that would be good.

This video was the only one of yours I’ve watched so far, but a lot of your other videos look interesting so I’ll be checking them out. If you could perhaps improve on the sound quality/microphone that would be good.
Thank you! Yes, the sound is not good because I'm recording the video with a cheap cellphone, and there was a lot of wind that day that gave us a hard time. But we couldn't postpone the making, because Aspen was in New Orleans for only a few days.

Back