How do I proceed?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lmschers said:
i need to try this to see how much gold would be left in solution.
You're' not paying attention. Remember me telling you it doesn't work that way?

You can NOT introduce base metals to solutions that contain values unless your intention is for the base metal that is introduced to REPLACE the values that are in solution.

Stainless (300 series) is used (or can be used) as a cathode for processing silver. That's because stainless is NOT dissolved by nitric acid, and does not react with silver nitrate. If you introduce copper in excess, it co-deposits with silver.

A lesson you will learn, either the easy way by listening, or the hard way, by trying, is that you can not (successfully) refine mixed metals electrolytically. It is pretty well known that cells that are used in refining demand high purity in the anodes, otherwise the electrolyte degrades too quickly to do the job it is intended to do. You are also plagued by slimes that may or may not shed from the anode, preventing extraction of the target metal. That leads to electrolyte depletion.

Harold

well... yes... i'm trying to pay attention.

i know what you meant.
but this is a solution of AR with dissolved gold and copper in it, right? i guess it would be best to get the nitrogen out first.... but...

i thought that using a carbon anode at the positive end would just disperse some carbon into the solution. (the slime)
but a negative copper cathode would be sucking up electrons so I thought that as long as you kept current running and the carbon dissolving...
the metal would be sucked up on the negative copper end.
the metal should start to dissolve if you didn't keep the current flowing.
doesn't the current protect the cathode from the acid?

i was thinking that the copper would come up first, but it would be amalgamated with some gold anyway.

lmschers said:
well... yes... i'm trying to pay attention.

i know what you meant.
but this is a solution of AR with dissolved gold and copper in it, right? i guess it would be best to get the nitrogen out first.... but...

i thought that using a carbon anode at the positive end would just disperse some carbon into the solution. (the slime)
but a negative copper cathode would be sucking up electrons so I thought that as long as you kept current running and the carbon dissolving...
the metal would be sucked up on the negative copper end.
the metal should start to dissolve if you didn't keep the current flowing.
doesn't the current protect the cathode from the acid?

i was thinking that the copper would come up first, but it would be amalgamated with some gold anyway.

Do you have a goal in mind?

It is easy to get the gold out first and leave the copper behind. Why make this hard?

it's funny that you ask that... but not exactly.... i'm just trying to understand what would happen.
i thought electrolysis would make things simpler.
throwing in some SMB would be the easiest route to gold recovery.
(electrolysis would purify the copper at least... heh heh)
learning is a process... no?

lmschers said:
it's funny that you ask that... but not exactly.... i'm just trying to understand what would happen.
i thought electrolysis would make things simpler.
throwing in some SMB would be the easiest route to gold recovery.
(electrolysis would purify the copper at least... heh heh)
The problem with any electrolytic process is that the balance is upset easily by contaminants. That applies to your concept----even the copper wouldn't be pure, if for no other reason, what might be considered drag down of other elements.

Hoke, in her book, addressed the concept of electrolytic parting, and alludes to the less than successful results. That wasn't good enough for me----I had to re-invent the wheel. I went so far as to make a mold to cast a stoneware vat that would function as a copper cell. When that failed, due to cracking, I then built a mold and had a fiberglass cell laid up. It worked beautifully for about an hour, then contamination started rearing its ugly head. In the end, I scrapped the project and started following convention. I never looked back.

I have no problem with a guy that is creative and hopes to learn things by experimentation, but if your objective is to process precious metals (mine was), you are far better served to follow known processes until you have a firm understanding of how the metals behave. When you are comfortable with processing, and understand each process well, you can then start venturing out, trying variations, even new concepts. To do so when you are not familiar with end results is foolish----for you have no idea when you are winning or losing. That you can get a particular process to work to some degree isn't necessarily an endorsement that it should be used---it may well be horribly inefficient, or even troublesome, but without a basis for comparison, you have no idea if that may be the case.

learning is a process... no?
Yes, it is, but tossing yourself in front of a bus isn't a requirement for understanding that it's not a good idea. There are some things you can learn from others, saving yourself from wasting time.

Again, depends on your objective. If you have an interest in being a research scientist, knock yourself out! However, if, as I suggested, your objective is to refine precious metals, lose the notion that you can improve on the wheel. Leave that idea for the time when you have sufficient experience that you will know if you have, or not.

Harold

thanks Harold
:)

why did you go so far as to make stoneware and fiberglass vats?
what pieces were you refining?
i'm just doing things in glass or plastic containers.
very small scale though.

i'm actually leaning more to the research side.
making money is cool, but i've got a day job.
maybe this will be profitable later (in like 5 years when i know something)
if i didn't spend money on learning things, the only thing i would spend my cash on is hookers and beer.
literally.
i live in thailand.
for me, screwing up is a part of learning, and this is cheaper than more school.
that's how i rationalize it.
i definitely try to heed your advice, but i would rather fail quickly and learn from my mistakes than get everything perfect the first time.
somewhere along the line, i just admitted to myself that this would be frustrating, and then just tried to get on with it.

my goal is to try to learn how to do these things mostly relying on sun power.
solar panels for electrolysis and fresnel lenses for incinerating.
I just got a little gold computer CPU scrap that I'm trying to refine for the first time.
i'm just too eager to use it all at once.

lmschers said:
why did you go so far as to make stoneware and fiberglass vats?
I was in love with an idea. I had read about stoneware vats being used early on, so that's what I wanted to do. It's part of the reason I suggested that if your objective is to refine (you've made it clear you have interests beyond that, so I now understand), you're far better served to stick to convention. I'd like to say more---lots more, for I have plenty about which to crow, but this is not the appropriate place.

what pieces were you refining?
This entire thing was in my very early years of refining, actually before I had started inquartation. I had read the process (inquartation) which seemed way too involved (I was VERY new to refining, and was intimidated by almost everything at that point in time). Logic told me that parting gold alloy (scrap jewelry) was the logical thing to do, driven by many of the things you've already stated. What I didn't understand is that the balance is easily screwed up, and that's precisely what happened. I had wasted a couple months and more than enough money, so the lesson came with considerable expense.

i'm just doing things in glass or plastic containers.
very small scale though.
Based on that, you'd likely learn a great deal trying what you'd like to do. You have little to lose. Just don't expect exceptional results, and don't assume that because you achieve success in the short term that your idea will work in the long term. It likely won't, although with enough monitoring and changing of electrolyte that may not be the case. Keeping the proper balance is critical---and it can be labor intensive.

i'm actually leaning more to the research side.
Which I acknowledged, above. It does help to understand your objective, even if I don't agree with the concept. You may discover something I missed, although I expect that won't be the case. Others have tried and failed, too.

making money is cool, but i've got a day job.
As did I! However, to me, processing gold was of upper importance. I was fiercely driven to succeed. Success came, for me, when I reigned in my curiosity and concentrated on Hoke and her guidance. Without her book, I would not have succeeded. There was no one for me to talk with, aside from one person that was already refining. When I approached him for guidance, he laughed in my face and told me that I'd never succeed. It might interest you to know that in the end, I had captured many of his customers.

maybe this will be profitable later (in like 5 years when i know something)

if i didn't spend money on learning things, the only thing i would spend my cash on is hookers and beer.
literally.
i live in thailand.
I think I understand, although having been happily married for over 34 years now (second marriage), it's been a long time since my crazy single years.
If you'd like to share more, I'm curious about your location. Are you native to Thailand? If not, what took you there?

for me, screwing up is a part of learning, and this is cheaper than more school.
that's how i rationalize it.
I'm much the same way (which helps explain the stupid cells I built---fiberglass and stoneware. I learned, though, and I'll never forget.

i definitely try to heed your advice, but i would rather fail quickly and learn from my mistakes than get everything perfect the first time.
somewhere along the line, i just admitted to myself that this would be frustrating, and then just tried to get on with it.
You've most likely to meet with failure, but who knows? So long as you're doing it for a learning experience, not trying to refine directly, what harm can come? As I said, your objective is key. Those that have followed my advice are now very successful in refining. Those that hope to come up with something new may or may not do so, ever.

my goal is to try to learn how to do these things mostly relying on sun power.
solar panels for electrolysis and fresnel lenses for incinerating.
I just got a little gold computer CPU scrap that I'm trying to refine for the first time.
i'm just too eager to use it all at once.
Again, in order to understand what is and isn't successful, you'd be best served to start refining, following procedures that are known to work. That gives you a basis for comparison. When you have refining down, you can then measure changes with some degree of reliability. As I said, you may achieve some degree of success but not understand that it isn't an acceptable result, in spite of working to some degree. You may not recognize that without some experience.

Harold

goldenchild said:
Instead of crushing the cpus you are better off getting just the legs off. Samuel's technique is great for that.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hD6mE5-hPWM[/youtube]
the video mentions to weigh the pins and add respective amount of hcl, and then boil, what is the respective amount of hcl :?:is respective of a formula or 1 to 1 ratio

It's all on the Gold N Scrap website.

http://www.goldnscrap.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=78:scrap-gold-recovery-from-fiber-cpu&catid=36:scrap-cpu-a-chips&Itemid=2

There is a link to it.

hahaha holy $#^!
that looks so much easier than what i did.

i went at them with two pairs of vice grips and cracked them in half to get off the metal plate on the back.
i was working with virtually the same chips as in the video.
didn't have a torch though, but that would have been so much easier and cleaner.

Back