How much preparation is needed?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adam_mizer

Hello gentleman, I have been learning, reading posts and browsing through Hokes book. Found lots of information on your forum.

In my first attemp to succeed, I have been preparing some material.
Have collected pins/fingers/boards/components/cpu's for a while and just learned on one of the posts that the solder actually melts into the gold plate, so this brings me to assume to cut that solder off the pin. Someone did mention put it in warm HCL to remove that solder.
How far can we go with warm HCL for solder removal or is this maybe just a waste of acid cost and time doing whole cards in warm HCL?

I have some cards now that I am preparing, I used a heat-gun to remove the components, applied heat then tapped the cards on a bucket to catch the components and solder. Trying to prep these cards for most likely a AP approach to recover the gold. One side of the card is good meaning no mask on it but the back side has mask on it so I was going to use the 20% lye solution for mask removal method. The picture reflects from the flourescent light, the boards are very gold!

Should I put these cards into warm HCL first to get rid of the small bit of solder at the through hole connections before I put them into AP?
Another question would be am I taking the right approach for preparation?
I have only maybe 25 pounds or so of these boards with many that appear as high yield traces meaning almost one side is fully plated.

I'm not trying to complicate this but in the second picture I have some of these boards that have plated IC's as well as a few of these IC's that have metal tops over a gold plated Kovar. Being that they were from Douglas old 60's equipment, I was thinking they used a high quality type circuit trace but I'm not sure what it is. Maybe you can help? They appear to have a very light oxide build up over the traces. These may be a waste of time. (I never heard of silver traces so they very well maybe tin?).

Attachments

• P1010055.JPG
    P1010055.JPG
    66.8 KB
  • P1010056.JPG
    P1010056.JPG
    67.3 KB

Latest posts

Back