How to deal with CuAg 15%

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Use sulfamic acid a little at a time until there is no more reaction. This is a video I made of removing the excess nitric acid from aqua regia. It works the same for removing excess nitric acid from other solutions as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vznQ2O384C0

razvanflorin said:
Guys, i got a big mess.. i have completly dissolved all the welding electrodes in nitric acid but when i tryed to percipitate in the down of the vessel i have got a white powder that i have tryed to melt it and i got nothing from.
You dissolved all the electrodes and then tried to precipitate it... using what?

razvanflorin said:
and on the copper that i have added it's forming a black mud.
Sounds like something is cementing out, might be silver. if it falls off and then dissolves again you have some nitric acid left. It will eat some extra copper but that's no real problem.

razvanflorin said:
i have tryed to dissolve a little bit of the white powder in hcl, it's instantly dissolved then i have percipitated with Zinc, i have got a red powder i have melted and i have got a red metal i think is copper.
Anything dissolving in HCl isn't silver at least.

razvanflorin said:
i have took the black mud formed on the copper that i have used to percipitate and tryed to melt it but i have got just a little bit of silver. 400 G From 12 KG Of WE.
I Have to get more 1,4 KG

what can i do now ?
Do you have any solids left? There might be silver or silver chloride in it.
Do you have any liquids left? There might be silver nitrate in it. Test it by taking a small glass of water, add quite a lot of salt, a tea spoon for example. Take a few drops of your solution and add it to the water. If there is a white precipitate of silver chloride forming you still have silver in solution. Add copper until there is no silver chloride precipitating.

If there is no solids left and no silver in solution then there is no more to get.

Next time, when starting on unknown material do it with a small experiment, not by dissolving 12 kilos in one go.

Göran

Latest posts

Back