How to deal with sulfuric acid fumes.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the correction and information Jon.

Tzoax process is more for gathering data isn't it, and he has shared a load of important data.
I'm not sure how much he process.
KjavanB has been working with some pyrolisis with cleaning of the smoke and gases if I'm not mistaken.
I stopped inhaling smoke intentionally about 12 years ago ;-) and I'll rather continue with that :D

nickvc said:
The real problem with this process is it works and very well but the downside is what Jon has been trying to warn everyone about, we all handle and use dangerous chemicals but the three most dangerous mentioned in my opinion are definitely hydrofluoric, sulfuric and sodium hydroxide or lye, all can and will cause terrible damage cold but hot they become horribly dangerous and need treating as such or in my opinion avoiding at all costs :shock:

While I have never used hydrofluoric acid ( and really don't want to) I have used sulfuric with heat, and it does some scary stuff when poured on organic materials. While I still use it in some cases, I try not to heat it at all. Sodium hydroxide I have used on a regular basis years ago. Two pounds to 50 gallons of cold water is enough to severely irritate the skin, causing blistering in most cases. Hot it is really nasty stuff. We would use the lye to strip oil and grease from 100+ year old machinery before rebuilding it. A 20 minute soak and a cold water rinse would strip the oils enough to cause the metal (cast iron and steel) to begin rusting within a few minutes of drying.

While I still use sulfuric and lye, I do so with a sharp eye on the safety side. Both are very unforgiving chemicals and deserve the extra attention when using them. With all that said, I would like to understand the reaction of both in the refining aspect, just not enough to give them a try at this time, especially sulfuric..

Thanks for the link to Tzoax with his yield on Ram chips done by incinerating.

His yields are better than some I've seen posted on Youtube by the "wet ashing" method.

So, does anyone know if he shows his method for incinerating, or know of any one else with a good method for incinerating listed here on the forum?

With yields that good I don't see any reason to mess with the extreme hazards of "wet ashing".

Noble Metals Recovery said:
So, does anyone know if he shows his method for incinerating, or know of any one else with a good method for incinerating listed here on the forum?

There are many good threads and posts on incinerating chips. You'd just have to do a quick search.

I think Tzoax has shown his method several times in his thread on chip yields, and how he has improved his methods over time. I'd rank his thread right up there with Patnor's as a must read for anyone wanting to learn to process epoxy chips. You get the benefit of learning from his own learning curve as you read through the pages.

http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=22951

UncleBenBen said:

There are many good threads and posts on incinerating chips. You'd just have to do a quick search.

I think Tzoax has shown his method several times in his thread on chip yields, and how he has improved his methods over time. I'd rank his thread right up there with Patnor's as a must read for anyone wanting to learn to process epoxy chips. You get the benefit of learning from his own learning curve as you read through the pages.

http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=22951

Agreed Tzoax and Patnor have both been pioneers in this kind of recovery. 8) 8)

per the underlined - if you are working with large batches (30 - 50 pound batches) here is how I do it

:arrow: http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=22581&hilit=incinerate#p237094

Kurt

I tried wet ashing out of a curiosity.
It was done with about 15ml of acid small BGA IC chip and in a test tube over heat source.
Reaction was so violent and fast I simply decided never again. Amount of fumes produced from just 15ml of acid was scary.
I refuse to go closer than 5 meters to sulfuric acid and will not use it unless someone held a gun to my head.

Back