How to recover gold , silver from a 2kg bar containg iron

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike2008

Please can someone give me some advice and step by step instructions how to extract gold and silver from a 2 kilo bar which is magnectic ( iron ).
I have had drill samples assayed , 12% gold and 52% silver.
I would appricate any advice how to go about refining this bar.
I am new to the forum and refining.
It doesnt have to be pure ,as long as it isnt magnectic , gold and silver still could be together.
If its just as easy to refine it thats ok. Thanks

Do NOT double post!

I have deleted your other three identical posts.

Apparently you haven't read the rules yet. Read all the posts in this sub forum
http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=70

To give you time to read I have put a one day temporary ban.

Göran

I like this new aproach to moderating Gøran. Maybe this technique can be a usefull tool in the future?

Jon

lanfear said:
I like this new aproach to moderating Gøran. Maybe this technique can be a usefull tool in the future?

Jon
He made four posts within 20 minutes after registering on the forum. Since this is the net I couldn't physically beat some common sense into him with a piece of clue-by-four, I took the ban approach and gave him a warning.

Common sense is that every forum has it's own rules, at least spend a little time to find out what so you don't break any house rules.

Göran

Very nicely handled, Göran.

In regards to the OP's situation, I'm having a little trouble with the idea that he has an alloy such as he described. Problem is, silver and iron don't alloy. If one has iron mixed with gold, one of the procedures for separating the two is to melt the alloy in the presence of silver. It (the silver) will couple with the gold, leaving behind iron that can be considered reasonably gold free.

Hmmm. April first, eh? April fools, perhaps?

Any here ever encountered values trapped in sulfides? Recovering them isn't all that big of a deal. Melt the material in question, inserting lengths of scrap steel. The sulfides combine with the inserted steel, liberating the values. When poured to a cone mold, you get three distinct layers. Botton one is, of course, the values. Second layer will be a layer of iron sulfide, and the third one is a layer of slag.

Harold

Firstly thanks to all the replies and i apologise for double posting.
I have been collecting scrap gold and silver and someone gave gave some iron with gold content.
a friend of mine said he would melt everthing , have a assay then sell the bar.
that idea didnt work because it was'nt a perfect melt.
most of the bar is reading 12% in some parts 14% gold and silver content ranging from 48%-52% ( these parts slightly magnetic).
Part of the bar is very magnetic which is high reading of 70% iron and 4% gold.
There is also some nickle in the bar.
I would really appriciate any ideas how to refine or any other ways of separating the gold & silver. mike

Mike2008 said:
Firstly thanks to all the replies and i apologise for double posting.
I have been collecting scrap gold and silver and someone gave gave some iron with gold content.
a friend of mine said he would melt everthing , have a assay then sell the bar.
that idea didnt work because it was'nt a perfect melt.
most of the bar is reading 12% in some parts 14% gold and silver content ranging from 48%-52% ( these parts slightly magnetic).
Part of the bar is very magnetic which is high reading of 70% iron and 4% gold.
There is also some nickle in the bar.
I would really appriciate any ideas how to refine or any other ways of separating the gold & silver. mike

Before attempting to recover the values yourself, you have a lot of reading to do I believe.
I suggest you start reading the safety section of this forum, read the waste disposal section... Read Hoke too...

You could try to find a reputable forum member that will process the bar for you. The process is not really hard, many members could process this material (if it's really what you claim it is)

Forget the xrf reading, that's garbage. Drill the bar at 6-7 different spots, top and bottom, get the turnings to a lab for a real assay. It should give you a fair average from the bar content.

If you don't need the money fast, stick to it and read for a few months (at least).

Selling it to a broker might not be an option since the melt is not homogeneous and you will be downgraded a lot.

Alex

So it sounds like some karat scrap met some melted pins (gold, nickel + iron + other = kovar). And as Harold said, they didn't actually alloy.

So one lesson learned is to keep separate processes separate ;)

As others have said, the gold isn't going anywhere. If your goal is to learn, it'll be there when you get to it. If your goal is to just get some money out of it, try alexxx's sampling advice.

Latest posts

Back