How to recover platinium from sonda lambda (Oxygen Sensor) ?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

razvanflorin

Hi ! i have got about 30kg of sonda lambda pieces. as i understood they contains platinium and some zirconium , how do i recover it ?

Edit: I have edited the title to be more relative.

You better leave it be and sell them as they are.
Platinum recovery and refining is complicated and tricky business. It require great deal of studying and practicing and platinum salts are something no amateur or hobbyist should play with.

Thanks you both for the answers :)

but i have one more question, where do the platinum is finded ? it is directly metalic or it is inside the Alumina ?

It is a coating on the alumina, and it is very tough to get the little bit completely out of the sensor.
You should just save them up while you study, or find a buyer.

Thanks you Jimdoc !
Does it matter if the sensor its from Renault or BMW ?
Does it matter if the sensor have 2, 4 or 6 wires ?
are the platinum quantities the same ?

Kind Regards - Răzvan .

razvanflorin said:
Thanks you Jimdoc !
Does it matter if the sensor its from Renault or BMW ?
Does it matter if the sensor have 2, 4 or 6 wires ?
are the platinum quantities the same ?

Kind Regards - Răzvan .

There is no exact answer to these questions. Rarely anybody try to process them. If you do have a lot of them then Lou is a man I would try to contact.

You never get it all. You pressure leach 'em with HCl/Cl2/Br2 and run it through resin.
Yields can be all over the place and the stuff is hard as heck on diaphragm and progressive cavity pumps.

Lou

FrugalRefiner said:
razvanflorin said:
Hi ! i have got about 30kg of sonda lambda pieces.
Actually.. i have about 600 KG
Either way, I'd send them out. Based on the questions you're asking, you're not prepared to deal with platinum in solution. It's far to dangerous for anyone other than advanced refiners.

Dave
Since i don't ever recovered platinum, i have heared that is more harder to work with and it's not for begginers.
If you are interested i can get the ceramics out from all of the oxygen sensors and send it to you or any other interested refiner :mrgreen:
I don't wanna pay for refining i just wanna sell them and in this way the shipping price will be lowered.

Latest posts

Back