I give up (nitric)

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since I don't use Nitric yet, others would be able to help better with this. The other things I could think of would be to, scratch the wire with a blade or file (check with the nitric afterwards) just to double check, that there isn't some type of clear coat on it, or try to dissolve a different type of metal. If it works properly after that, it was the copper wire, if not, it could be the Nitric.

Just trying to narrow it down a bit.

Edit - added to it

If the wire is not coated and you diluted it with the same amount of water and you didn't get red nox fumes I would say you got the wrong stuff delivered to you.

Thanks for your response - I've suspected for awhile that it wasn't HN03; it just didn't act right. I think the supplier must have put HCL into that bottle also. Said supplier has at least some history of delivering the wrong chemical (which really could be quite dangerous, depending). Time to switch.

iamsogreg said:
Said supplier has at least some history of delivering the wrong chemical (which really could be quite dangerous, depending).
Um, yeah. That could be really bad.

I'm sure you're trying to maintain a sense of professionalism by not naming them, but I for one think it's appropriate to post (perhaps in a different thread). Not a "these people [create negative pressure], never use them" post, but a factual account of what happened and that you've heard it's not the first time. In my opinion, doing so would be a service to the community.

I wouldn't know what thread to post that in. Even though I've lurked on this forum for a long time, I joined so that I could ask that question.

I have contacted the supplier and suggested that they learn about the reduction of defects via the Six Sigma methodology. I don't really want to name them at this time - however, I think the takeaway is this: Don't assume that you received what you ordered - test the chemicals that you receive! We work with some potentially dangerous substances, nothing should be left to chance. And everyone makes mistakes, even a five or six sigma company will make a few (six sigma = 3.4 defects per million opportunities).

iamsogreg said:
I wouldn't know what thread to post that in. Even though I've lurked on this forum for a long time, I joined so that I could ask that question.
To me, here in this Chemicals subforum would be most appropriate. The moderators may have other ideas, but that's why we pay them the big bucks ;)

Speaking of which, if you were to post something in the wrong forum, the mods here are great about fixing it for you with a minimum of fuss. Heck, they must be great--they tolerate me!

I've been using GFS Chemical.

Six 2.5 liter bottles delivered for about $240

But, you must have a company name and no delivery to residential addresses.

kadriver

Hello everyone this is my first post. this is a great forum! I'm learning a lot and having fun doing it.

Anyways, please don't think I'm laughing at anybody's pain, but I found this thread to be somewhat amusing. I work at a nitric acid plant, hundreds of pounds per hour, 65% Nitric literally on tap!

Truly, I wish you all the best of luck.

goldenchild said:
upcyclist,

You can get an awful lot of sodium nitrate and H2S04 for relitively cheap and make your own. But if you don't want to mess with making your own try these guys.

http://www.sierrachemicalcompany.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=1106&category_id=6&keyword=nitric+acid&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2

They used to have the prices listed but after subtracting the deposit I remember the price per gallon was very reasonable.

Sierra is okay, Shape out of Oakland has a little better pricing if you are looking for small quantities.

http://www.shapeproduct.com/www/ContactUs.aspx

Scott

Duda Diesel has sent me 10 liters of Nitric twice now, and although I have a legal business name, it's still my residence that they ship to. I never had any problems with them although I was under surveillance by the Feds for awhile and I'm not sure how they got their information. They definitely wanted to know what the Nitric was for.

Latest posts

Back